I need color! I want to spice it up.
lisaalper
I want to spice up my master bath. It's fairly small and it has no windows. Right now it's a neutral light cream. Photo is coming up yellow. I need some color. Any ideas?
mpoulsom
can you take some close-up pics of the tile behind the sinks and the tile/slate in the shower? looks like grays and browns, but unsure???
October 11, 2012 at 9:42AM     
Reico Kitchen & Bath
What colors do you like? Is there anything on your radar at all?
October 11, 2012 at 10:05AM   
With no natural light, you'll need pastel spice! The chocolatey tile makes me see a beautiful blue above. Consider changing the medicine cabinets (that's what they appear to be) for more decorative mirrors to up the spice factor. Try the new plug-in LED cans to give you more light. Can't really see the wall fixture in this pic but suggest you need one that faces upward to wash the wall and ceiling with light. That will brighten the space too. Think about installing a slender cabinet on the wall by the door for all the unsightly bottles and bathroom paraphenalia. You might be able to recess it between the studs if the depth allows for the bigger containers. New, tall gooseneck faucetts might be in order, if you're in the mood to switch them out. Chrome brightens, but oil rubbed bronze for all your metal accessories would pick up on the tile. Keep the ledge simple and clean or dress it with a striking tall sculpture.
October 11, 2012 at 10:15AM     
lisaalper
I was thinking in the blue range. My accents are a wedge wood blue. With all the brown bronze color I think the lighter blue is a nice option.
October 11, 2012 at 11:34AM   
Merry Memories
I did an Arts and Crafts home and it originally had the gorgeous blue ceilings. In every home I have moved to I have always brought with me at least one ceilling painted blue. I always take the color chip from the paint store outside to look at it, always. It is a gorgeous feeling bringing the outdoors inside. I do believe you could also tie in some wonderful one inch by one inch tile "glass" into the existing tile if on a budget. I would use a flat on the angled ceiling and change the fixtures. As for the vertical walls, what color would you like to integrate? If I have to work with the existing tile consider a pale chifforn yellow, soft butter. Be very careful with yellows, it's so easy to go to dark if a soft tone is what you are looking for..best of luck....Consider something like a large pine "light color wood" primitive in style or cherry Art Deco Mirror. This could be so much fun...have fun with it.
October 11, 2012 at 11:46AM   
Another reason to be careful of yellows... they can sallow the complection, so if you use this bath for putting on makeup it can get tricky.
October 11, 2012 at 11:51AM     
olgahoney
I like this color
,
October 11, 2012 at 11:52AM     
October 11, 2012 at 12:00PM     
TanCalGal
Don't fight with the brown tone tile you have. For wall color: choose a light to medium color paint matching one of the tiles. Perhaps ORB fixtures. Don't use the ledge for toiletries. Add beautiful blue through accessories.
Globus Builder
Profile 1
Profile 2
October 11, 2012 at 12:12PM     
michigammemom
Until you address the lack of lighting in your bath, any paint choice will not be true to color and deeply colored walls will make your room cave-like. Case in point; your light cream walls photograph as a greenish/gold. Three linear sconces like these from Hudson Valley, lined up at the ends and between the mirrors would help to illuminate your bath.
October 11, 2012 at 12:20PM     
mpoulsom
If you wanted to paint the walls a color, I would just paint the sink wall a color, leave the other walls as they are. Try to fix the lighting if that's a problem. And add a tall arrangement on the right side sitting on the ledge. Even if it's just a colorful vase with big sticks in it. I'll try and find the find of vase I'm talking about.
October 11, 2012 at 12:34PM     
Out of the box thought....metallic gold..on the sink wall only. Silver accents on your shelf. Really. : )
October 11, 2012 at 7:16PM     
jmarae
I agree you have to first address the lighting issue. Either add sconces or my choice would be to replace the 2 small mirrors and Mirror the entire wall over the sinks up to the ceiling and all the way side to side to the adjacent walls. Pick a bronze metallic paint color from the tiles for the walls include the ledge over the sink. Paint the ceiling the same color metallic color but one shade lighter to make the room feel cozy but a bit taller. When you have guests you can light a few scented tea candles and fresh flowers.
October 11, 2012 at 10:57PM   
Elise
Solatube skylight and try a paint picking up the rusty orange tones in the tile. Definitely not enough light in there!
October 11, 2012 at 11:10PM     
ripatcha
could you set your camera's white balance to incandescent lighting and repost them? I think a warm flourescent (?) lighting system would help it to look a bit like daylight. Then replace the two mirrors with one huge one.
October 12, 2012 at 12:41AM     
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi lisaalper, Marie here.
Firstly, again, bad idea to ask for colour advice online - it is always best to bring lots of paint swatches into your bathroom, attach them to a white piece of paper, then hang them on the wall.
Secondly, you need better illumination in the room - I'd turn to halogens, or even warm LED's
Look to strip lighting, or ways of adding light with brighter tones of paint.
I love soft-warm gray paint with warm yellows (found in your slate) stay to the lighter shades if you can't add more lighting.
Third: I would spend some money and upgrade your lighting by adding another two wall sconces, get rid of the pot light shining directly to the side of your face.
Fourth: If you can't change out your lighting, then add bright, sparkly white tile to the mix. White bounces light around making the room feel lighter, brighter.

I'd add white tile wainscotting around the perimeter of the room to lighten and brighten - see attached photo on white wainscotting.
Fifth: Add skylights! This will definitely be a huge asset to this really great bathroom...

Good luck to you and definitely look to the pros on Houzz for inspiration on how to lighten and brighten a small space!
October 12, 2012 at 12:42AM     
lisaalper
Wow thanks for all the great info! So great.... I have a lot to think about. I would love to add skylights, but I'm doing do many things now to the house so it is not in the budget. I will look into mirroring the vanity wall but I need the vanity space. I will also grab paint swatches in warm grey. Last I will address better lighting. Any ideas how to light the cabinet area given the different ceiling height above each?
October 12, 2012 at 4:49AM   
michigammemom
Light your vanity similar to this with vertical flush mount sconces.
October 12, 2012 at 6:07AM     
kelaska
Perhaps remove the medicine cabinets from the wall, then get a mirror cut to fit the entire olive painted wall. It will reflect and open the space up.
October 12, 2012 at 6:15AM   
mpoulsom
One more idea...add floating shelves, maybe 3 to the right side of the sink wall...then do one more long floating shelf, placed about 8 inches above your mirrors all the way across. Add lighting on top of that top shelf shooting up towards the ceiling......OR shooting down from that shelf.
You could add your accent color of choice in your shelving. Paint them whatever color you like!
October 12, 2012 at 8:52AM     
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Searched houzz pedestal sink bathrooms - kept toggling back to your space and those mirror/cabinets have to go - they are throwing off this unique little space. Agree with need for better lighting - also, take down towel/mag rack and add narrow vanity/linen closet in space right of the sinks with drawers for all the bathroom toiletries/gadgets - then vase or sculpture on vanity.
October 12, 2012 at 9:22AM   
ruthmand
Start by getting rid of the pedestal sinks and put in a vanity with 2 sinks spanning the space. You would gain lots of storage and no longer have a need for the medicine cabinets. This would allow you to follow through on whatever mirror and lighting ideas suggested above that suit you.
October 12, 2012 at 9:38AM   
Melissa Doan - Weidel Realtors - New Hope
Textured frame around the mirrors and bigger mirrors if possible. ... area rug in a soft color... track or sconce vanity lighting.
October 12, 2012 at 9:39AM   
Merry Memories
I was thinking of "how" you could utilize the angle of the ceiling....think about it, I know some genius out there has done something quite marvelous with 90 degrees, or shall we say about a 6/12 pitch "not sure". What about doing something with the angle, utilizing and beautifing, while still using your tile, and remember I still think I would remove about 20 one inch tiles and install 20 1x1 "if this is the size of your tile" with the color "glass" I am inviting into this space. Towel Bars also come in this glass and you could use three or four different shades, a piece of Van Briggle Pottery, or two or three! hahaha And of course a rug with a statement, be it subtle or louder. I spend very little of my life in a bath....All I want is it clean, inviting to my eye and tastes yet personalized. Google Archetec. Ceilings...lost will come up and play with this idea to utilize more space. I am totally against sky lights...only due to poor intsallation, guess it depends on where you live and who is the best in the business for such a choice. On the other hand a new gable! hahahha The possibilities are endless!
October 12, 2012 at 5:19PM   
Elise
Look for or have someone make storage boxes angling up the back wall of the sink shelf to increase storage. Sometimes you can find boxes with drawers/doors and stairstep them up the wall.

://www.houzz.com/photos/258598/ZIG-Shelving-eclectic-bookcases-cabinets-and-computer-armoires-lving-contemporary-bookcases-cabinets-and-computer-armoires-
October 12, 2012 at 5:56PM     
alwaysdesigning
more reflective materials to bounce light around; crisp bright paint; glass tiles, mirror, hanging or wall sconces can all help to brighten your space; inthe Houzz browser enter "dark bath" and see all the ideas; good luck

[houzz=Bathroom]
[houzz=Contemporary Bathroom]
[houzz=Guest Bathroom]

[houzz=Tiled bath]
[houzz=Tobias Architecture]
[houzz=Master Bathroom Double Vanity]
[houzz=Color Changing Shower Head, Rainbow LED]
[houzz=Clay Imports Artesanal]
[houzz=Kara Weik © 2012 Houzz]
November 28, 2012 at 7:37AM     
I want to spice up my garden.
I really want to add some class to my veggie garden....
kitchen color scheme needs spiced up.
My kitchen needs some spice! I have a maple buffet,...
Should I paint my island a color to spice up my look?
I have hardwood floors the same color as my cabinets....
I need brutal honesty here!! I promise I can take it. :)
We're finally finishing our basement (yay!) and I decided...
Door color? Fresh look
Hi. I'm a first timer and I'm nervous. So be gentle....
Do you still have an esky, or do you miss the old chilly bin?
They were an Aussie institution years ago but now,...
need an idea for this back wall on the patio
what can I do to cover the foundation. Any ideas?
This backyard has the uglies....all concrete...ideas please
All concrete backyard from the fence to the porch....