Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yasminmb

Ideas for kitchen splashback

yasminmb
11 years ago
We are building a new house and I need help in deciding the splashback for the kitchen that has antique white cabinets, kashmir gold granite benchtop and a traditional style green freestanding cooker, which is a feature in itself. I do not want to use glass as a backsplash because I don't like the look and it is adding to already mounting costs. I do like the look of tiles, but their only drawback is the cleaning of the grouting. Would large tiles work? I just feel they don't have the charm of smaller tiles in a kitchen. What about a large tile combined with something? Am wary of mosaic as it means more grouting !!

Comments (17)

• farhaad
    11 years ago
    Either you could butt joint the tiles or put in 2mm spacers i have used tiles extensively, i dont forsee a problem with regards to grout
  • PRO
    Arlene Awarda Architect
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree with above. I wouldn't worry about grouting. Go with what you like. if is it is grouted well it will stand the test of time.

Do you have any pictures of the kitchen? I'd like to see color of the countertops, and the cabinets.

For tile ideas: You may consider a light backsplash to offset and accent the antique whites cabinets and the rich stone countertop. Light backsplashes include, white marble, also limestone looks good.

1. Small subway tile, light color

BY HARDROCK CONSTRUCTION

BY HARDROCK CONSTRUCTION · More Info

2. large thin tile, thin cut but light color.

Kohler

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

3. large slab, marble backsplash, light white color...

Modern Eclectic

Modern Eclectic · More Info

4. Medium size marble white tile, 'subway tile'.

Mt. Baker

Mt. Baker · More Info

I would get samples and bring them to the site, for selection.

Thanks.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    We've had no trouble with our grouting, and we used 3x6 ivory subway tile with thin lines of "alabaster" grout (i.e. just a tad darker then the ivory). This is in a kitchen with ivory cabinets and soapstone counters. It's been almost three years and both tiles and grout are holding up beautifully.
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    11 years ago
    Usually if grout is high quality, installed and sealed well it will stand the test of time. If it concerns you, you can always go for a warm tile with grout in a warm color. The grout lines won't be as obvious and won't show dirt like white/light colored grout could (although if of good quality and installed properly it shouldn't!). This is a beautiful warm hued subway tile with mocha grout. It picks up the warm tones in the Kashmir Gold granite. If you could post photos of your actual counter tops and of your green cooker I could make an even better recommendation!
  • yasminmb
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks a lot, everyone. You have reinforced my thinking that I should go with the tiling. I've had ivory tiles in my present kitchen and there has only been minor discolouration in the grouting. Proper sealing should take care of that problem.
  • yasminmb
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Susan and Arlene, I am sorry I don't have pictures right now, as the kitchen is going to be put in next week. I've decided all the colours and materials except the splashback. However I can attach a picture of the cooker.
    Arlene, I like the colours of the Hardrock Construction kitchen, and Susan I love the warm hued subway. Our choices, however in a Australian country town are limited.
    Do you think I should stick to ivory given the colour of this cooktop?
  • PRO
    Californo
    11 years ago
    love this cooktop
  • PRO
    Arlene Awarda Architect
    11 years ago
    Wow I love this oven, stovetop! you must be really good cooks! enjoy cooking!.... I do like ivory, to match this oven.... I see you are in an Australian country town, near what city? what state?.... I have lived in Australia, and my family, some of my family on one side of my family lives there, in Sydney also up in Brisbane. Sounds like you have a great project!..
  • yasminmb
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, Builper....We loved it too..and range of colours was amazing...burgundy, ivory, dark blue, black and cottage green!!
  • yasminmb
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Arlene, I do cook/bake a lot, now my younger son has developed an interest in it too, so we felt it would be worth investing in a good cooktop. Once I saw this, I thought I might as well make this the feature, and spend the money on this, rather than any other decorative elements.
    We are in Victoria, a few hours away from Melbourne. Where did you live when you were here? Sydney and Brisbane are lovely, but we are partial to Melbourne!!
    Interestingly, here the trend is building is all modern. White or gray colours, stainless steel appliances and glass splashbacks, with white or black stone tops. Colour isn't "in" ..which is making this project all the more interesting !!
    I will stick with the ivory :)
  • PRO
    Arlene Awarda Architect
    11 years ago
    Hi Yasmin! I am sure you will have great cooking! Ahh, Victoria! Well, when i was a girl I lived in Fairfield, just 1 hr. out of Sydney. Then we, my dad owned a farm in Penrith, a small farming community close to the Blue Mountains. Then finally my family retired up north up in Brisbane... first in Hervey Bay, a small beach community near Fraser Island, and then down to Brisbane, final retirement place! near Mt. Tamborine. I visted him for a few months a year, had my design firm back in US, in Chicago, my mother's hometown...sounds nice, were you are! send my any 'after' picks to awarda@aol.com. Thanks. Arlene
  • yasminmb
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That's amazing..my sister was in Hervey Bay, and is now in Brisbane!! Do you still visit ? I will certainly send you "after" pics..and thanks again for the advice. It always helps to discuss :) Good luck with your projects, Arlene.
  • MOMerr
    11 years ago
    Sheet copper behind the stove and just paint everywhere else. There aren't many "splashes" above countertops & a painted surface can be wiped off, but behind the stove the copper would provide a surface that will protect the wall & look smashing w/ that beautiful stove.
  • yasminmb
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sheet copper sounds fascinating. Haven't seen it used here, though have seen pressed metal panels used. I did ask the builder about a simple paint finish but they seemed reluctant, saying that with the moisture levels in the kitchen something on the walls would be better.
  • PRO
    NW HomeWorks
    11 years ago
    I just want to chime in about grout. If you do decide on tile, and you're at all concerned about cleaning or discoloration(which is a legitimate concern, especially behind the range) have your installer use epoxy or urethane grout. These are both a lot more expensive than regular grout, but they are stain proof, and do not require any sealing or significant up-keep. Good luck. Love the stove!
  • yasminmb
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, NW.. I will ask my builder about epoxy/urethane grout. The stains from pasta sauces and curries do gradually discolour the grout. And the cooktop being the focal point and in full view means that the stains behind it will be in focus too, if they occur!!