Change the look of this stone fireplace
civermeer
October 12, 2012
I don't like the stone used in the fireplace of the home we are buying in TN. Is it possible to tear out the stone and use something else?
builper.com
For Sure, it's only decorative and easy to remove, consider that insted:

I'll ship it to you at factory price.
    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 11:35AM
builper.com
Or Maybe a stone mantel:

all can be shipped directly from the factory.
    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 11:36AM
Susan Jablon Mosaics
You could cover it in tile! Using one color in a neutral from the color scheme of your furnishings (I'm guessing that's not your furniture, so not sure what palette to suggest) will make the fireplace an elegant showstopper! I wouldn't do anything with too much variation though because it is so tall and you don't want it to be busy. Here are some example of fireplaces with mosaic glass tile:
1 Like    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 11:57AM
ct design studio
Personally I like it and with that large of an expanse, I would want something in warm tones with some texture vs. a tile. Keep in mind whatever you change it too, there will be a lot of it. Adding some elements to it to break it up may make it easier for you to live with.
St Clements Great Room
Mike G Project
1 Like    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 12:11PM
mpoulsom
If you are tearing it out, I'll take it! I love it!
what exactly is it that you find offensive about it? the color, the vastness? Is it real stacked stone or faux?
    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 12:18PM
civermeer
I don't like the gray color and the small size of the stone for such a large area. Maybe a decorative mantle and a large painting would help. The owner is removing the black wood stove, so it can be used as a traditional fireplace.
    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 12:35PM
You could just cover it with a stone veneer. Or, hot rolled steel..here's a sample and much more modern looking.

Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 12:40PM
Inside Out Staging and Design
I agree with CT Designs. I think you might have the same feeling with anything you put there because of its sheer size. Break it up a little by adding different textures ( maybe wood), colors (artwork) accessories ( on a mantle).
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 12:43PM
mpoulsom
I agree...add a huge piece of artwork and a mantle would be my first suggestion. If you think it will still just be too much stone, then maybe after the wood stove is removed you could sheetrock the bottom section, over the stone, and add a mantle over your opened up fireplace, breaking it up a little. You could just use your wall color on the sheetrock, or something complimentary in color. Your other option would be to use wood on the bottom half, but it looks like you already have a LOT of wood going on already in that room. Don't know what other side looks like however.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 12:59PM
mpoulsom
or you could do the opposite, add thin sheetrock to the top half???
]
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 1:05PM
linbyr
I agree with mpoulsom, a fab piece of artwork would be fab on that wall . I would paint the banisters and wooden unit to the left (tv unit?) a satin white soft sheen paint , there seems to be too many shades of wood in the one area. Paint the ceiling white and inset some downlighting . I personally love the stone as it reminds me of Liscannor stone from the west of Ireland ..
    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 1:15PM
olldcan
I think the stone is to small for the scale of the fireplace, plus there's no substitution for real stone. If your going to go big, then go big, like this picture i've attached or scale the fireplace down in size by adding drywall and then decorate to you taste. I'd also consider painting out the corner unit, it too looks heavy and a bit dated. It's definitely not doing you any favours. Love that high vaulted ceiling.
    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 1:48PM
GOAStudio | Residential Architecture & Home Design
I seem to like the stone too and the texture...

And in a funny way the problem might just be the timber panelling next to the fire-place; I don't think they work well together. So, an idea would be to replace the timber panelling with something simpler of a single colour (something bold or just something that works as a background colour) and add some artwork (as it has been suggested) to the fireplace to break its scale.

Maybe this is not what you had in mind but I hope this idea opens up some possibilities.
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 1:56PM
michigammemom
Removing the black woodstove will make a world of difference. The stacked stone creates a lot of rustic texture in the room and the neutral gray and sand colors will coordinate with a variety of furnishings. I would be inclined to see how you feel about the fireplace once you have your furnishings in. The corner built-in unit on the other hand would be more of a concern for me. The trim moldings are very unusual and oddly placed and the large TV niche will be difficult to utilize.
    Bookmark   October 12, 2012 at 2:47PM
Residential Design TN - Tracy Nichols
Yes, you can cover with another larger stone pattern, possibly leaving the existing surface (consult a mason). Looks like too many colors going on in the room. Think about refinishing floor to a darker stain, something closer to the hand rails and replace wood spindles with iron (rails can stay). Paint walls and angled ceiling same color, pickup a lighter color from the stone of choice. Consider tearing out the entire entertainment built-in, then two choices; 1) finish the new back wall, paint, and add a standalone entertainment piece, or 2) design & build a completely new painted built-in cabinetry to accommodate the latest entertainment systems. Good luck! Oh, one more thing - replace the gold ceiling fan/light combo!!
    Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 11:57AM
Leave or change fireplace?
Would you leave this fireplace as is or change it in...
akopec
Should I change my whole idea for my fireplace?
We started painting our previously brown wood fireplace...
maxmia55
Redesign fireplace wall- the cathedral ceiling stays- rest can change
We have a long, narrow, great room measuring 24' x...
marciasue
Need a change for a BIG red brick fireplace
Here is my BIG red brick fireplace. It is 11 feet...
kirstenl
What can I do to improve the curb appeal of this small home
I would like to improve the curb appeal of my small...
dmanuel3
Is this 9x12 carpet too big......
Would 8x10 be better for this space - and does it need...
mskdj
Converting 3/4 bath to laundry/powder room. Vanity top suggestions?
Mudroom off our garage was linked to kitchen on one...
deborahjarman
Rental Kitchen Upgrade
What on earth am I going to do with this ugly kitchen?...
Deanna Charlton
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats