Coffee Table Advice for Perpendicular Sofas
jsbrookOctober 13, 2012
I just moved into a condo and am looking for advice on size and placement of a coffee table for two perpendicular sofas. The sofas will be in the den. One will probably be between 89 - 93 inches and on the back wall facing the tv. Where the current sofa in the picture is. It is being replaced. The other will be a matching sofa of about 79 inches on the window wall where the black chair is currently sitting.

I would do a quasi-custom cofee table and have a lot of dimension options for square and rectangle. I haven't seen a lot of options for round cofee tables and also want one that is open and shows the rug which tends to be eaiser with square and rectangle tables (unless you go glass). Any advice would be appreciated!
Are you looking for something like this? The problem is your area rug is a bit too small, because any coffee table you get is going to be half on, half off the rug or if you center it on the rug it will be too far away. [houzz=
]
    Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 7:47AM
jsbrook
Thanks for the reply. You mean the rug is not wide enough? The length of the rug extends past the viewable space in the picture. I'm not sure why any of the coffee table needs to be off the rug. The rug will be moved closer to the existing sofa. Really as close as I want it to be. There's no reason why in the context of the space of the room that it needs to be where it is sitting (It won't be center between the end of the sofa and the wall unit on the other side, but I don't think it needs to be to look right). The rug is just under 68 inches wide.
    Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 8:09AM
jsbrook
I like the rug, but I could also do a new rug (along with cofee table) planned around the sofas if it is really a problem.
    Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 8:25AM
I love your rug and would angle it in the room. Regarding your custom coffee table, I am assuming that your sofas will be in an L formation and not separated by space. To determine the proper size for a custom table or the ideal size for a non custom table, do the following:
1. Plan on allowing 18" between each sofa and the table.
2. Plan on having the table extend to 18" from the end of each sofa.
3. See drawing below where I used one 78" sofa and one 90" sofa to demonstrate this process.

If you are not placing your sofas in an L formation, then I would supply each one with a small round table of about 24" diameter, placing each table off center in the opposite direction from one another.
3 Likes    Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 8:37AM
jsbrook
Thanks, Carolyn! Yes, it will be spaced exactly like your drawing. And that is just about the depth of the sofas too. A great help!
    Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 8:41AM
You are very welcome. It's always fascinated me how much math there is in design. Fortunately for me, it's very simple math.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 10:05AM
jsbrook
Definitely. Thanks again.
    Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 12:23PM
jsbrook
Carolyn, since you were so helpful with this point, what do you think about a maple cofee table? I think the contrast might be nice rather than going with cherry. In part of the room you can't see, there will be a bamboo pot with branches, so there will be nice light would elsewhere. The existing cherry side table could also be replaced with a matching maple.
    Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 4:53PM
I think you have enough wood in the room, considering your flooring and the wall unit. Perhaps it's time to think about a glass top or marble top table with metal legs, or a zinc topped table.
    Bookmark   October 13, 2012 at 7:29PM
jsbrook
Thanks, Carolyn. You may be right about enough wood in the room. I do not think marble would look good in this room, but a glass top could maybe look nice with steel graphite finished legs. I was actually thinking about that but was looking to stick with wood beause I want this room to be cosy, comfortable rustic modern (the greatroom is more ultramodern with Mies barcelona chairs and knoll sofa, colorful artwork and in the kitchen area, stainless steel and cherry cabinets and granite).Glass top might still work in this room, though. Thanks again.
    Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 5:27AM
jsbrook
Maybe this would work well?
http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=19539&Camp=knc_MC_Noguchi&gclid=CNCVv6q1g7MCFQuk4Aodq0AADQ

A little smaller than your suggested dimensions (50 x 36) but it is nice glass and decent deisgn (though not my favor), has some cherry base, and could work well in the room.
    Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 5:38AM
Spiral Cone Legs
I would go large, something that can be used by either sofa. And of course use our legs.
    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 11:56AM
Coffee table/ ottoman/ furniture arrangement advice, please!
Hello Houzzers, Our living area is sort of L-shaped...
kp7250
Is coffee table too large? What color area rug?
This is a 14x18 living room I am working on. Does the...
koreanamericanmommy
Coffee+Side Tables - What would you do to finish this room
Trying to decide - coffee table and one side table...
dknishuster
Which Coffee table?I'm also replacing sofa with one matching armchairs
I'm trying to find a coffee table to replace my old...
Sue MIchael
Living room advice
We finally received our chandelier, chairs and beautiful...
kareng1022
Vanity idea
I just bought a new house and am looking at (hopefully)...
Helen Louie
Long hallway
Looking for suggestions on my long hallway. It is...
wapusk99
need help dressing this wall.
The wall is 160 inches wide. I wanted to fill the...
nugget1956
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats