Need help deciding on a backsplash. Please help!!!!
mikpat
We have moved into this home and have been doing upgrades as we go. We have changed the counter tops to Corian, installed stainless appliances and now have to do the back splash. We are not the biggest fans of the color of the cabinets, changing them is not in the budget right now.
I was hoping for some ideas that will go great with the counters, cabinets and appliances without making the color of the cabinets pop.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
pivoines
There are lovely back splash tiles in stainless steel with lovely styles, they would marry well with your appliances, and would go with anything you may do at a later date with your cabinets. There is a cheap solution to your cabinets also , paint them, high adhesive primer and the color of your choice after , You can do it very professionally if you remove the doors and hardware and take your time. It is really worth it,when done well. Good luck
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 7:02AM
Christine
Not sure what material you have as your backsplash now but if $$ is a factor I would just go with paint. and then find small 8 x 8 frames and fill them with either family photos or travel or references to whatever your family likes to do together and mount them evenly on the back wall over that main counter area. As for the cabinets. I would paint them. You can tackle it yourself as suggested by pivoines above or you can hire a company who can come in and do it for you. You may be able to save money by pulling the doors down and removing all hardware yourself and just letting them spray it all on-site if you have a sealed area. I would go for some pop with darker lower colored cabinets and brighter colored upper cabinets. Have fun. It will turn out great.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 7:33AM
buccimamma
I am a big fan of the Subway tile and with the money you are saving, get those cabinets painted! If you are adventurous-- DIY. Otherwise, another option would be to take the corian and wrap it up the backsplash if you are planning on keeping the same cabinet configuration. The kitchen has great bones! Good Luck
1 Like   October 14, 2012 at 9:10AM
bittymonkey
I agree with a stainless backsplash if you can manage it.
0 Likes   October 14, 2012 at 9:13AM
mikpat
Thank you for the responses!
However, we don't want to replace or paint the cabinets anytime soon. We are looking to add a backsplash only. Something to finish off the area.
A suggestion from a local tile store we have received is a gray marble mosaic; do you think that would make the cabinets stand out?
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 10:06AM
michigammemom
Green goes well with the honey/amber tones of your cabinetry.
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 10:29AM
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Go to photos in houzz and type in backsplash - you are sure to fall in love!
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 10:42AM
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Do you know the name of your Corian? We are specialists at matching backsplashes to countertop surfaces, and would love to give you some custom options! Do have a preference for light or dark, any colors you like or would like to avoid? We do glass, stone, and stainless steel!
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 10:48AM
fife2
OK - to mitigate the color of your cabinets - you need to choose the opposite color on the color wheel. Since your cabinets appear to have a yellow-undertone - then you should choose the opposite color - like a soft blue-grey for the color of your walls - NOTHING which even hints at yellow! NO GREEN, unless it is a blue-green? A Khaki with a tone which is NOT yellowish or green? Etc, . . . yes?

I would suggest you look at home depot since you are currently on budget - there are these wonderful FAUX-tin-tile back-splash materials now available - washable, and CHEAP! They come in all colors - copper (not a choice with your cabinet color); faux-TIN color . . . you can also find these in www.VANDYKES.com; ORDER their catalogue - they have hardware, faucets, everythng in the world one would ever need when DIY'ing a home - since our house is 116 years old - this is our new bible!

The other thing you can do for your cabinets is look at the new rusteoleum kitchen (cabinets) kits, these are also available at home depot, or on line at Rustoleum.com!

I personally think your cabinets are fine - but only you know what you want the outcome to be.

Try painting a different color on the walls, and do not choose anything in the red/yellow family of tones.

let us know.
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 10:54AM
Rio Brewster
I disagree with the advice above. Choosing a high-contrast color would make the cabinets stand out even more. I think a tumbled or honed travertine or marble backsplash, maybe with some stainless accents here and there.

Don't be afraid to go to HD or Lowes and buy a variety of backsplash tile samples. Both places have good selections these days. Keep the receipts and you will be able to get your money back on the ones you don't like.
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 11:35AM
sj01
i just did a galvanized steel backsplash in my kitchen. I haven't updates the cabinets or countertops yet, but they are very dated and the steel actually makes me almost like them. I used a roll of valley tin (usually for roofing, etc.) Vinyl cutouts also look awesome on it!
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 12:19PM
fife2
Carpe Diem: her main concern with the cabinets is NOT making them show - by taking a yellow based tone OUT - which could be a high contrast - it will help to neutralize the yellow tone of the cabinets. OF course, I was only speaking of WALL paint - NOT backsplash.
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 12:54PM
Rio Brewster
fife2: Nothing makes a color pop like its opposite on the color wheel. If you want orangey cabinets to glow in the dark, by all means paint the walls blue.

The faux-tin tiles probably look fine in a 100+ year-old home, or if you are going for a country/shabby-chic thing. But I don't think that is what they are going for here.
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 2:56PM
fife2
Dear Carpe: she never said WHAT direction she wanted - but only mentioned her new stainless. I was ONLY offering to help mitigate what she what for the interim period until she could finish off her cabinets - and certainly WAS NOT suggesting she paint the walls French Flag Blue, Candy apple red, or deep slate grey. Furthermore, since someone else mentioned stainless - was merely offering a cheaper alterantive aa a temporary consideration to REAL stainless; and those reproduction faux-tin tiles I mentioned - DO come in MORE modern Combinations! Since she definitely wants to replace her cabinetry - why put in high-end products unless you KNOW what you are going to have in the end?

I only mentioned softer-non-yellow tones to cool down the look of the cabinets - and I do KNOW this works, as I ended up with yellow tone oak floors (I hate) in my kitchen - until we can find salvage heart pine to match the rest of the house - and the softer tone blue/grey on the original bead-board DID mitigate the yellow in floors - but hey, that is just me - and my own visual perception.

BTW - we are ALL friends here - and share thoughts kindly!

Thanks.
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 7:01AM
Rio Brewster
@fife2:

The OP said they weren't wild about the cabinets, but apparently they don't dislike them enough to make replacing/refinishing/painting a priority.

Instead they have already invested in counter-tops and appliances. Nowhere did they did say they wanted a cheap interim solution for their backsplash.

I suggested a very neutral (and not expensive) backsplash and that they try out a number of things in their home to see what they like best.

I refrained from giving specific advice about colors.

I also refrained from SHOUTING my OPINIONS on the topic. Since we *are* all friends here, I should be able to disagree with you WITHOUT being RUDELY SHOUTED at.
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 10:27AM
mikpat
Hello, Thanks again for the comments and suggestions. We did already paint our walls with a greenish tinged which was advised by the paint store décor rep. Which we love! Great contrast with the cabinets!

We like the idea of subway tiles with a grey grout that I’ve seen and it looks lovely but…..

Would that work with our cabinets and counter tops?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 7:10AM
mikpat
Also, another question….

Looking at the island you can see that its structure is made of drywall (with 2 air returns)….
Are there any suggestions for a DIY? Something to make the island pop more as it is located in the center of our entire living space. We have a complete open concept main floor (Kitchen, dining room and family room)

We were thinking of a darker paint colour and changing the air returns to a stainless steel but not quite sure if that would make it pop more.

Thanks
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 7:33AM
Rio Brewster
do you really want the air returns to stand out? If you could post another picture to show more of an overview of the space, that would help.

Since your counter appears to be a creamy color, I'm not sure about white subway tiles. Maybe a bone color. It's hard to tell exact colors from the photos. Your best bet is get samples and bring them into your space.

If you want your island to pop, you could use some kind of tile treatment on the back. Glass tiles that coordinate with your countertop and stainless would really bring it up a few notches.
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 8:51AM
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi mikpat, Carpe Diem is right about the subway tile, if your counters are cream you probably wouldn't want to go white. Here are some examples of glass subway tile in tones ranging from off white to vanilla to creme bone - with grey grout of course. They will all look different in person, my recommendation would be to order samples of all the creams, off whites, eggshells etc that you can find and see which tone complements your counters and cabinets best. We can also assist you in custom designing and matching a mosaic to complement your counters, if you'd like to go that route.
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 9:03AM
mikpat
Hi,

No I don't want the air returns to stand out. That was just a poor explanation on my part... I thought adding stainless steel would give it a nice look. I would like only the island to pop!

I will take a better picture of the island and post it as soon as possible.

The bone/cream subway tiles recommendations make total sense. Thank you!
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 9:19AM
Help! I Need help deciding layout of solid marble backsplash. Frame it
Hopefully this question is not way too confusing. I'm...
Please help decide on backsplash color
Please help decide on backsplash color What do you...
Please help decide on backsplash color
Please help decide on backsplash color
Need help deciding backsplash ideas
We just replaced our countertops with new granite (...
butt board or tongue and groove
I see wonderful pictures of both and am not sure why...
Origin of this unique side table?
A friend of mine passed away recently and gave a mutual...
Bathroom design in progress...
Here's another good example of our interior design...
Need help updating L-shaped living room and dining room
I have an L-shaped living room and dining room. They...
All-In-One Window/Door Trim!
I added a keeping/sunroom to my kitchen. My first...