Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bezzi44

Colors? Mantel? Where to go from here...

bezzi44
11 years ago
I am in my house and still unpacking boxes etc. I have a brown couch, sage/gray/blue walls and a mix of furniture that can be painted. I want to add some life & character to this room.

I have an electric fireplace that is very modern. Should I add a faux mantel and fireplace surround?

My swivel chairs are too low. I'm adding height and will cover with white slip covers. Comments?

I want to add pillow covers to the couch. The design on them is boring cirlces that I don't like (why they are turned around). Suggestions? I was thinking a coral color.

Curtains - plain white or?

TV - I was going to put it on a corner stand versus above the fire place. Comments & suggestions?

Rug? My carpet is almost white and I have kids... Do I go bold or nuetral?

What is on the walls was just putting something on nails already there.
I feel like this is a blank canvas and I am leaning toward a more eclectic look rather than modern or traditional. I'm not afraid of color or work. So have at it!
Thanks in advance.

Comments (40)

• PRO
    Trading Phrases
    11 years ago
    Have you thought about wall decals at all? This site http://www.tradingphrases.com has some seriously awesome ones that vary from quotes and things like that to HUGE trees that would take up your whole wall. That would make that space really pop. If you have no kids and are daring I would definitely say to go with more color- you can always change it if you don't like it later, but now is your time to go crazy. :)
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    Kids and white carpet. Just to keep your cleaning workload down, start with shoe storage at main entrance, colorful bold print, carpet runners and area rugs. Coral is a great color to start with, the browns go well with coral, orange, red, yellow, blue and turquoise. Try and find an inspiration fabric or rug or art print to give you a direction to go in with color. TV on the half wall is a good idea.
  • Bond Girl
    11 years ago
    First of all, congrats on the new house! And good for you, unpacking & posting pics! Next, I think you have a great start!! The couch is great! I don't mind the height of the chairs. I agree that they should be covered, but not in white. Use them for a big pop of color. Custom slip-ocers are very cost effective; you can pick your own fabric, and they'll fit tighter than store-bought, which will keep them in place with the kids.

Having 3-kids, I'd say yes to the rug from both the practicality side, and to get a big pop of color and texture. Here are 4 options using an orange/coral and brown combo.
  • Bond Girl
    11 years ago
    I also think your long wall calls for lots of cabinets. Whether you buy a cabinet, or build it in, whether you want modern or traditional, there are lot of options at a variety of price breaks. I think it will help to add some architecture to the space.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I can't answer all your questions, but I can say that coral is a fabulous idea, go for it! And our tv is in the corner next to the fireplace, we have no problem with it there. Do get an area rug to protect your white (agh!) carpet personally I like Bond Girl's second pic. And white slip covers with kids? Just make sure they're washable. The slip covers, I mean.
  • Bond Girl
    11 years ago
    And last, but not least, panels at that window are a must. You have the perfect example of a window that the curtain rod needs to be hung winder than the window, so that the panels stack on the wall, leaving the whole window exposed. Go big on color! (Houzz only allows 4-pics per comment if you are wondering why I keep adding posts!)
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Bond Girl - loving the colors & ideas. Which site are the rugs from?
    @Elise - kids already know no shoes in the house. My son even crawled to the bathroom b/c his feet were dirty. Worse yet, the carpet continues into the dining room (*sigh*)
    @decoenthusiate - I thought of that too. I told the kids no jumping on the couch or they'd bounce off and break their necks at the bottom of the stairs. I'll move the couch to see how the lay out works.
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    2 more questions...
    1) should I paint the trim white or just replace it with wider trim?
    2) does the rug that I would put under the dining room table have to match the one in the living room?
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If you don't like the woodtone trim, think about painting it white after you have put on some wall color. Then decide if you need to go white.
    2nd, the rug under the dining table doesn't have to match in print, but should definitely be of the same color family and personality.

Living Room, Upper East Side Apartment, New York City · More Info

SW 45th · More Info
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    6 weeks have gone by, I bought a few rugs and returned them b/c the color wasn't right. I took a couch pillow cover to the store to try to find fabric. The brows is strange and doesn't go with anything. The blue/gray on the walls is so dull. It's the entire top floor - kitchen, dining, living room, stair well and if I can avoid painting it..... Sooo... how matchy do I have to be? Can I treat the brown and blue as nuetral and bring in whatever colors I want? Or do I have to bring in the same saturation (dirt...lol) that is there or it just wont 'look right'?
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    Did you try the couch under the windows?Put the couch under the window with the two chairs facing it. Keep the TV where it is and put it on a swivel with a long entertainment unit maybe even hang it. Add curtains on each side of the windows to the floor too. Remover the small end tables.
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I haven't moved stuff around that much. I wanted the couch open to the dining room. Wondering how the couch under the Window would mess with the blinds? I would have to set it out from the wall at least 6 inches. The heat registers are both on the floor in front of the window.

I did add height to the chairs. Still have to cover them. I tossed some blue things over the cushions to see if a different blue would work. I put a high end table on the chaise end of the sofa and raised the lamp. I wanted the swivel chairs to be able to go from living room to dining room socializing. I ditched the black and white chair. It just didn't fit.

I think, seeing as it's cold now, that I will have to find something that goes with the sofa and other colors I like and ignore the walls. If I still don't like the color after other things added, I'll paint in the Spring when I can open windows.
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    And with red accents I had laying around
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    I still think the couch should go under the windows for balance and you will be able to look at your guests in the dining room the tree by the long wall for now. Put the two chairs across from the couch, looking into the room facing the windows. You still might be able to keep the end tables with the lamps. It is most important to get the flow of the room first before you think about accessories/pillows. The lounge part of the couch will be by the wall and then you can add your artwork or fireplace to the right of it or even the TV If your couch is brown, robins egg blue is beautiful with it and that color is easy to find right now. It is a nice room with such potential.
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    I love Bond Girl's ideas above for adding color and warmth to your room. Your current reds are cool in tone and if you want warmth, bring in more of the coral, sand and bright reds in area rugs and pick up with coordinating pillows and throws.

Since you don't have window coverings, consider natural fibers in the way of bamboo shades with colorful drapes. If you aren't into printed drapes, consider color blocked drapes as a way to vary the look of solids. Bring the drapes out wide to the outside of the window so it looks larger.

Brown is a neutral and blue can be treated as a cool neutral. Do you want to go warm or cool?
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    The layout of this room still bothers me. I think the couch would be perfect under the window and I reread your post that the chairs swivel. Perfect across from the couch as you can then swivel them to see the TV and then swivel around to see the guest at the table.
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @tennisanyone - do you think it is because the two swivel chair are away from the couch. As in the walk way is between them? I moved them closer below. Do you think that is it?
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I moved the couch and chairs and fire place around to all kinds of combinations. Problems arise with having to put a TV and/or fire place on the half wall, or in front of the window or ?? The Cable is on the wall opposite the half wall, the heat registers are in front of the window. See all the combos below! The rug was hard to move so I just left it before my help quit on me.

Thoughts?
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The rug doesn't look that great in the photos. It's actually pretty cool up close.
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    I like the picture on the top right. I hope you like the couch better this way. I know I do. Doesn't the room feel more balanced this way. I prefer the couch to the right of the window, maybe not so far right , try to center the lounge part not so far in in the corner but just skiming the the window take out the table and maybe it will fit better and then maybe a table only on the right side next to the lounge and then you can get one of those arched lamps that sit on the floor on the left. . I would leave a little space on both sides of the couch. What do you think? Did you try the chairs across from them but not on the wall, just floating across in the room? Maybe one across and one angeled. I wold have to see a picture again when you move the couch. If they swivel thats great. If you are keeping the rug, then move it , center to the couch and not worry right now about under the table. I think it might be too small but hard to tell right now. Add drapery to the windows and a bigger chandalier to the stairwell and now you can see your guests as they walk up the stairs. Maybe even the fireplace unit can go on the wall hanging . I'll have to see.
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    At least now, you can look into the room and your kids won't jump on the couch and fly off into the stairwell. I feel it is safer and looks better this way. Live with it a few days with just those minor changes. If you moved the couch with the changes I suggested, you can then put the tv stand directly across from the couch lounge part or even have it hang on a swivel from the wall and when not on, just push it back not on the small wall but angeled on the table across from it. Use that space under the wall for toys or put your christmas tree there. Extend your draper past the windows. I don't think the chairs are too low now. I like the brown couch but would do blue instead of red. Brown, blue (robin's egg and even gray are nice combinations but go with what you like and have right now.
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    I like the top right photo also. If you are worried about the heat registers, look at this site for help with a heat register extender:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/vent-extender/268908?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=0
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Elise - fantastic. I was thinking of "making' something like that. But might just save a whole lot of time and buy them ready to go. =)
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    bezzi44 so does that mean the couch is staying under with window? I never heard of vent extenders. I could use it myself.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Vent extenders are cheaper than paying the contractor to move a vent he placed to be under furniture.
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    tennis - yeah, going to move it centered to the window. I posted another discussion on what I could do with the half wall to make it work. I'm sure I had put the coucn centered there during all that moving the other day but I don' t have a photo so maybe my daughter gave up on me before we got there. The hardest thing to move was the Xmas tree. lol

I caught the kids piling the pillows up on the floor and jumping off yelling, "Cannon Ball!!!"
    I have no choice but to move it. ;-D
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    OK couldn't wait for help. Moved it all myself.

Needs -
    Better lamps;
    Better curtains - hung taller and longer (rods were already on the wall. Found the DKNY pair or $7!!! Can move to dining room).
    Pillows - over kill? I just bought an assortment of fabric. They're laying over the top of existing pillows, except two blue ones. I haven't sewn anything yet.
    Swivel Chairs - Was going to slip cover. Should I replace with slipper chairs?
    TV - when I buy it, on the tall wall on a swivel arm?
    Fireplace - Build up the wall and put a faux mantel???

What do you think?
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    I love it. What do you think? Is it working for you this way? I knew that the arrangement was the problem and not the colors. It is beautiful and feels so warm and inviting. Did you decide to go with blue instead of red? I love blue and brown but now you can make it your own. I hope you like it. Lamps would be nice too. I would leave the covers off the brown chairs. Will you put the tv on a swivel like I suggested by the lounger on the wall or the fireplace on the wall too. Measure it with painters tape first. Take a picture. You know I will weigh in. As far as the half wall, maybe shelves to hold your kids books or nothing at all and throw some big floor pillows on the floor so you kids will have a reading nook. Add a coffee table at some point too and a big chandalier in the stairwell. I won't have nightmares of your kids falling off the couch into the stairwell anymore. You did a good job.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Now you're making progress! Would still like to see drapery rods at ceiling height. New end tables and a coffee table could be on the list, or maybe one end table and a floor lamp for the lounger side. Love your rug but wish it was a bit larger. Would like to to see the front feet of all pieces on it. Still think a low TV console by the half wall would look great! Glad you found your vibe!
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    tennis - lol. Watching my 3 year old do a tuck jump off the couch into the pillows was more than enough!! I'm liking it. I laid on the couch looking at both walls to see where a TV would work. Sat in all the other seating positions. Either side will do. I liked looking into the dining room too.
    Thanks.

I had red leather at my old house and yellow/butter walls and black accent walls...Looked great, very vibrant and bright but it was also a huge space. So I had a lot of red accents from there. I want something a little more serene. I was trying too hard to match the blues. By bringing more creams in, it's easier now.

PROGRESS! =) I hope to make a wow in the before and after section one day...

Side note...the swivel chairs look like they match the couch in the photo, but the are an ugly small checkered pattern. Got to go!
  • ksundar
    11 years ago
    Just a thought, could the fireplace go on the dining room wall? I love the rug. Maybe if you decide to paint, the mid tone mushroom color in the rug would look great and then paint the trim white. Your accents could change as you feel if you make the window treatments neutral as well. That color scheme would work with the blue you have, or great with a burnt orange, or a bright green or yellow. You might consider A new fun light fixture in the stair well, a coffee table, and some art work. I love the idea of a low bookshelf running the half wall. I suppose you could put a tv on top of it if you anchor it to the bookshelf. Your room is looking so much more inviting with each layer you add. Thanks for sharing your progress.
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    Ibezzi44- I just wanted you to get the layout of the room first and so happy you tried it. I was actually thinking about this room last night when I went to bed. Perfect example of just moving furniture until it feels right. The chairs look like they match the couch but if you want new chairs, then do it. If the couch is solid, then maybe two smaller chairs with wood legs and a pattern would be nice. , slipper chairs. Now take a picture from the LR into the DR. I know you asked about pillows on the couch, odd numbers look best. Two on one side, three on the other with a throw behind one . When I mentioned bookshelves on the half wall, I did not see your post about your 3 year old doing a half tuck. Would he use the shelves for leverage to jump. Maybe just big floor pillows for now. You are off to a great. This is one of my favorite kinds of decorating, using what you have. This was a perfect example and you were willing to try. I look forward to seeing the room when it is done.
  • Billie G
    11 years ago
    @bezzi44. You have tried the sofa in many positions but you have not covered them all. How about if you position your sofa opposite of the window, with the Christmas tree in the corner by the half wall and the window or in the other corner. The two chairs with one of the occasional tables in front of the window, so that your heating vents will not be covered. The other small table next to the sofa against the wall. On one side of the sofa one of the occasional tables. You may possibly have a longer table to use and position against the back of the sofa with some lamps or some flowers. This would achieve a sort of separation of the dining room and the LR. In my opinion this would be best solution for your space.
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Billie - I can try that in a few days. The living room in about 13 ft wide, the couch 9ft wide. That doesn't leave much walk way either side. I wish the chaise was reversible. But anyway, I can give it a try.

Tennis - love that you're thinking about my room when you went to bed! It's keeping me up too. =)
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    You are almost there! I like the room arrangement now. I recommend glass and metal end tables to help them disappear, makes the room look more spacious.

Consider building in the TV on the1/2 wall side, with shelves on one or both sides depending on how much room you have, then build a wider shelf across it all and on top of the 1/2 wall to tie it all in. Viewing the television lower is more comfortable than viewing it higher. Easier on the neck.

Keep your swivel chairs and slipcover them in a print that ties in with a printed pillow fabric on the sofa. Then add some fabric to the drapes that lengthens them and perhaps a vertical trim stripe on the inside edges - color blocking. Local seamstresses can help you with this if you don't have time or a sewing machine. Try and add some visual texture to the room with natural fibers with baskets or lampshades.

Your swivel chairs can also be used at the dining table if they are tall enough. Keep on going, love your tree! I'll bet the kids love decorating it!
  • bezzi44
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Elise - is it that obvious my kids decorated the tree? lol
    I like the idea of the glass tables but I had them in my last house and the kids scratched them pretty bad. I'll keep an eye out for some 'disposable' ones.
    The swivel chairs are too short for dining table and I do plan to cover them. Still looking for the right fabric.
    AND I found the 'extend-a-vent' at Menards for under $7 each. =)

Billie - I looked at moving the couch to face the window and I have two problems... 1), If the couch is next to the half wall, the chaise is against the wall and then I still have the launching pad for the kids. 2) If I move it to the other wall, it's actually shorter making the living room area even smaller. I end up with this big open area between living and dining with no real function. 3) If I center it, I don't have any room for side tables. Soooo...I think right now it won the spot under the window.
  • Billie G
    11 years ago
    Sorry I made you work hard. Enjoy your holidays.:-)
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    See your eye is picking up on things. I really do think
    This is the perfect arrangement. Now u are ready to accesorize.
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    Estate sales and rummage sales are a great place to buy "disposable" glass tables. You can also get the clear shelf paper or window film that is self adhesive and protect the glass tops with that. It removes quite easily.

We always make gingerbread men for the tree and for eating! Gotta have candycanes too.
Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm