Living room color and?
sj73116October 14, 2012
I have not been happy with this room ever. I have painted it twice and still...... I love the furniture! Keep in mind I have BAD allergies so carpet is not an option. "Some" cloth is ok, so i will get pillows when I get color down. The side thrown chair can be re upholstered, not sold on that. I do tend to lean toward a Ralph Lauren/ Milling road by baker furniture look. I have traditional furnishings but tend to have odd and or modern art. (I am looking for more art and lamps/accessories) The dining room chairs have bee recently upholstered in black/brown houndstooth. I love the armoire, this is the ONLy room in the house it will fit and that is the only wall. I know its massive but i like the presence of it. I have been collecting prints/art in gold frames and thinking about art work from floor to ceiling on the back wall of the diniing room. Also have contemplated using different sizes of black frames and white mattes of different sizes and using pictures of my travels. thoughts? I had thought about painting the walls Dover white (sherwin williams) that would then match the the moldings,shutters and doors. however, it would then fade out my antique dome slag glass chandelier. (ignore the partial weathervane LOL that is another project I am working on)
S&K Interiors
I like your idea of of floor to ceiling artwork. It would help balance the height and weight of the armoir. You could also wallpaper the large wall in the dining room and pick a color that you like from the wallpaper to paint the rest of the walls. A large mirror hung on that wall could visually expand the room.Your chandelier is too high, it should not be more than 30" from the table top. I would not paint the walls white since all of your furniture is dark, you need a strong color to anchor the room.
4 Likes    Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 8:02PM
Manon Floreat
You've got some absolutely fantastic pieces (the armoir is to die for!) and a great concept. I like where you're headed.

I wonder if the furniture arrangement can be improved. Currently the sofa is directly opposite the entry - which can be an unsettling feeling. I'd like to see it on the wall opposite the armoir to open your room some and create a focal point. To provide some subtle division between the LR/DR, consider an upholstered bench in teal to pick the colors of your floor lamp.

Attached is a possible floor plan. Maybe something like it will work for you.
9 Likes    Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 8:47PM
yvesun
A mallard green would look fabulous with Manon's design!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 9:12PM
Manon Floreat
YMCS, I was thinking of green as well! I could be incorporated to good effect. And is very Ralph Lauren-esque.
    Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 9:16PM
sj73116
I can lower the chandelier down i think 3 more inches which wil put it to 31" from the table. Liking the ideas so far. Thanks for the compliment Manon. I "search and search" for great pieces. I looked up "mallard" green and unsure if you mean dark or the lighter version?
1 Like    Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 7:03AM
Immersion Design
Is that an entrance to a kitchen where the dining room table is? It would be nice if you could define the space a bit by color...you have walls that would work well with that. Consider painting the living room side and bay window wall the lighter white color you like, but the back wall of the dining room and the wall adjoining it where the small doorway is could easily be painted/wallpapered differently. That would also allow your chandelier to stand out! If you go dark all over the room I think it will feel too cavelike, although you do have great natural light from the bay window.
    Bookmark   October 15, 2012 at 7:12AM
sj73116
Great ideas!! Keep the juices flowing please
    Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:42AM
Color Zen
I agree with all the others, we need some wall COLOR! :) With the wonderful and unique mix of furniture/art, a slightly offbeat wall color would really add the wow and boost your artful quality. I'm not sure how adventurous you are with paint, but... I could see a coral, a royalish blue, or a kelly green... Then keep everything else relatively neutral. I would add an area rug around the couch that somehow incorporates a bit of the wall color. The potential is here, good luck.
    Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:53AM
Nancy Hehmann
I would use some houndstooth fabric for a table runner since you just upholstered your chairs.
I think an area rug would help for the seating area. Check out Target.com or Capel. You can purchase a Hoover to keep it clean (easy to use) and you can do it whenever you want. They have combo ones for hard floors too.

If you decide on an accent color, check out Etsy.com for some great home accessories. Use their search engine and input what you like. They have decorator cushions and wall decor. I would either choose new wall art or photography and pull a color from it to use as an accent color to give cohesiveness to your look. Repeat that color several times in your pillows, vases etc. And if you have time, check out my etsy shop, nancyhehmann
    Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:57AM
Lanie Brown, REALTOR®, Martha Turner Sotheby's
if you like the mallard green idea but would prefer something sofer, BM "Texas sage" is lovely.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:58AM
sj73116
If i go with the photo grouping anyone know of a reasonable place that you can get nice black frames??(going to need several if i go with the photo travels)
1 Like    Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 6:32PM
anitajoyce
White or beige was my first choice for your space. The reason being...You have brown floors, brown sofa , brown chairs. Even the dinning room chairs have brown seats. Everything is almost one color. I love the green color in the floor lamp. Maybe you could add accents in that color . You could paint the dinning room back wall in an acent color also. A sage green would look nice against all the browns in your furniture. I would turn the sofa to face the armoire. Is there a tv in it? Remove the artwork and use the black frame work you mentioned. Or get some abstract art or a picture of a big red flower., or something else that has some color. You can get nice black frames at Target, Walmart or other discount stores. Just look around.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:06PM
victorianbungalowranch
I got some nice black frames from Kohl's on sale, and they were already gouped in a nice arrangement and in standard sizes and with nice white mats. Got two sets and it fits well over the couch and above a chair rail in a hallway.

IKEA has some nice cheap frames, but they are in European sizes.

If you can't get a rug, perhaps you could consider a floorcloth in the living room to help define the space. Basically it is a stenciled or painted canvas dropcloth with heavy poly on it. Can look very sophisticated. You can find stencils that replicate old floor patterns or go with something that echos something you love, like maybe Chinese art deco rugs--would go nice with the Armoir.and leather furniture. Abstract expressionist (like Jackson Pollock or bold calligraphic style) could work too. Pull some colors from your favorite photos and artwork (like that big painting).

I think Mallard is a bit dark myself--but one wall could be nice, or turquoise or charcoal and greenish grey or even something in the red family or purple family, and it will look great. Your floors are very warm in tone, as is the furniture, so don't go too cold with the color.
    Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:07PM
janishill
Manon Floreat's floor plan is perfect. That along with either this paint:
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/brooksidemoss

Or this one: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/sycamoretree

Try this for frames: http://www.picture-frames-warehouse.com/ or even Target: http://www.target.com/s/black+picture+frames

would love to see updates when you have finished the room.
    Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 7:34PM
kzcampbell
I think your walls are too light for all the dark furniture. Try a deeper color. I love BM Rattan it's deep and warm yet still a neutral and pops with white trim, would look great with your houndstooth. A green would be nice too, BM Georgian green is deep but not dark. Since the funiture is so heavy I would beef up the crown moulding, the base and around the doorway, won't cost much.
    Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 8:09PM
S&K Interiors
Do you have a Homegoods in your city? That is a good place to try. Also Ikea has inexpensive frames.
    Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 6:57AM
sj73116
well, i guess i need to go to the store and get some swatches. any other suggestions? You all have really helped the juices flowing on this room!! If i decide to go with the b/w frames on the back wall with travel photos. should the photos be b/w or color? Also, the current color is writers parchment by ralph lauren if that helps at all (should have said something earlier)
    Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 8:20PM
janishill
Go for B&W, with white mats. You have beautiful pops of color in your other art work.

While the current paint color is lovely it doesn't do anything for your funishings and the existing art work. The floors have warm undertones (gold) while the paint seems cool (at least on my monitor)

Hope you will post updates as you go!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 5:26AM
TanCalGal
Nice room(s). I'm fine with the wall color and furniture placement. Love the "paisley" upholstered chair & everything else you have. Artistic arrangements. Subtle use of color. The room gets better the longer you look at it.

The sculptural tree on the window sill looks lonely. Perhaps it would like the company of a scattering of Japanese smooth river stones (3?)

or a few books Spanish Oaks Hacienda

Cannot decide what I'd like on DR wall. I'm leaning toward something architectural, textural and sculptural. I love these wood pieces painted the color of the wall. Living room

or these circles painted the color of the wall Michelle Kaufmann Designs
    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 8:27AM
TanCalGal
PS I like J. Adler's pillows, they are a form of modern art http://www.jonathanadler.com/Pillows-and-throws/
    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 8:38AM
mpoulsom
See the color of the bench that Manon posted above? ... I kind of like that idea for a color for the walls. Not sure about my computer color monitor, but look up Benjamin Moore Teal 2055-10. I think that would look great with your furnishings, since curtain panels and certain fabrics in the room are out of the question because of allergies, Your walls are your main color element for the room. Go bold!
    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 9:06AM

How about this for throw pillows?
1 Like    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 9:23AM
lessismoore
You have lovely pieces, all in a distinct style (which you obviously love) but I think the real issue is more with your homes architecture than any paint color choice ... in rooms such as in the photos below, I "see" your furnishing ... So, if you are not happy, that may be the underlying thing. And I wish I had an easy solution that wouldn't require you to move to an "estate." Maybe someone else can tie up the lose ends here?

- Traditional Family Room design by Minneapolis General Contractor Stonewood, LLC

Traditional Living Room design by Los Angeles Interior Designer Abbott Moon

These images are on the site, but I can't get them to embed here :-(

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 9:33AM
laurelhane
For the picture frames - go to thrift stores, garage sales, estate sales, etc; you can get them for great prices and then spray paint them all black. The black will unify them but the variation in frames will provide visual interest.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 10:33AM
mpoulsom
Also, if you have a hobby lobby near you, they have certain frames 50% off every other week! :)
    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 11:26AM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
How about pulling from so many of the great comments above combined with your ”Daring Historical” approach: add mouldings (like the existing ones) around these rooms, could even be painted metallic gold, paint deep hues in each room/crevice dramatically different yet all pulled together by their historical nature, depth and accent fabrics. Trim out the ceiling, add your fun art either formally featured in each moulding box or fill certain boxes completely...definately daring!
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 11:39AM
sj73116
my last house had a trimmed out ceiling in the kitchen. since this room is in 2 segments would you trim out in once all the way around or just in the dining area?
    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 2:17PM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Hi, either way is great. Just depends on if you want distinctly different spaces or one space with the furniture making the distinction. I would vote for one trim outline for this ceiling, more flexibility.
    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 5:29PM
windingcreek_creations
Hi, I agree with the comments about color. I would either go terracotta, or opposite on the color wheel and go with a teal green. Get a few sample colors and paint them in a large patch on each wall (away from each other). Observe them in different light and go with the one that makes you smile. Good luck. Have fun.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 6:22PM
sj73116
This was kinda what i had in mind originally? This is from the baker milling road collection. The color is called rockport gray. your thoughts? Love the ideas of green however, I do not usually go for dark colors. I prefer "lighter" and airy but want warmth?
2 Likes    Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 3:01PM
windingcreek_creations
HC147 woodlawn blue is fabulous with brown and tan. Would look nice with your art as well
1 Like    Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 3:29PM
lessismoore
That room looks great, but I think some of the things that make it work ... Like the mixture of lights and darks with the warm gray walls - the sofa is (on my monitor at any rate) like a cream/beige, and so are the lightest tones in the upholstery. The room ends up with a very mono-tonal (dark brown to lightest cream) look, and they have a light rug to ground it. (and of course, pro photography which makes that room look infinitely bigger ...). So, would you consider adding in some lighter tones in your furnishings? Making things more monotone?
What about an Apricot shade for the walls? That would key in with the lightest tones of your existing upholstered pieces and make them more dominant. I'm attaching Apricot, Warm Gray and a Teal tone to consider.
What do you think?
1 Like    Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 8:06PM
sj73116
Ok, i very much LOVE the program you have!!! what is it? LOL I need that. the gray looks more purple?
    Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 8:21PM
lessismoore
It's PhotoShop :-) The gray I was going for was a warm gray, almost a taupe, to match what I thought I saw in the photo you posted. I went on line and found another room with the Rockport Gray (more of a greenish gray). From monitor to monitor the colors change so much ... that's one of the many reasons they have you do test patches on your wall - even looking at paint swatches, it just changes so much when you get in the actual room and watch it go through the various changes for lighting and harmonies, etc. ... These images should show the match better :-)
    Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 10:29PM
victorianbungalowranch
I think the look you posted is totally doable for you, but your space is much smaller, so that shade of gray might look darker. You do get some nice light from the windows though, especially if you keep that alcove painted white. Loved the teal too--really brought out the color in your artwork and some of the accessories.

However, your furniture is mostly dark, rather than mixed like the picture. Some chair covers in the dining room would help and art in white mats might be enough to balance it out. Light flooring could help. If you don't like the floorcloth idea, maybe a piece of painted vinyl scap would work to give the space some definition and would be really easy to keep clean..
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-paint-own-floorcloth-405052.html?cat=30 plus lots more on google.

I like the coffee table, but it looks a little stranded without something on the floor and next to the heavy sofa. Would a trunk look more grounded perhaps? Maybe moving it would help--be great for plants near the window perhaps.

Anyway, the color is worth a try with a sample though and do the old paint a piece of posterboard so you can move it around and see what it looks like in different light. I painted my living room in a similar grey color with green overtones, and painted the woodwork and ceiling and one large wall antique (creamy) white. Worked well--the white reflected the window light and made the space feel less boxy, and the green-grey gave it warmth, but wasn't too dark.

Not my first choice in color actually, but it was a mismatch marked way down and I figured it was worth a try and it looked great.
    Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 7:12AM
yvesun
Hi sj73116 ! I was thinking of Mallard Green 2053-10 Benjamin Moore. It`s richness will complement the furniture and make the room warm and inviting.
    Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 9:19PM
Smilow + Mathiesen
You need a fantastic horizontal large piece of art to tie your room together. People agonize over furniture, window treatments, what to put on the floor, but it is the art that hands down has the loudest voice in the room. Finding the right piece of art will do wonders...Once you have the art, you can style the room around it...
    Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 7:13AM
patriciarhall
the armoire would certainly make its statement on the dining area wall when entering the room. the sofa could be placed in the armoires place to open the room and allow for better lamps and other furniture arrangement. all of the color addtions suggested are wonderful.
    Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 8:06AM
sj73116
Patricia, the problem is the size and the location of the chandelier. that had crossed my mind at one point. :(
    Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 10:32AM
patriciarhall
Treat yourself and have the chandelier moved into the room, perfectly placing for your table with the armoire on the dining area wall. That way you will have both of your special pieces highlighted for enjoyment a long time. It won't be expensive to move the chandelier and doing it before you paint is ideal. You already considered the best place for the armoire!
    Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 12:28PM
sunbev
I would like to see some after pics of what you finally came up with. or did I miss something in this post that is from 9 mos ago?
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by sj73116    July 14, 2013 at 9:58AM
sj73116
Ok, lets see how these pics turned out
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 10:01AM
sj73116
I repainted the walls in Forde Abby by Ralph Lauren. Had the chair reupholstered. Getting ready to order pillows in the fabric of the chair and bringing in a coordinating color of another fabric for some other pillows. Brought in some different Art and added a couple more lamps. I think It looks better in person I tried to take several pictures to get a good color in the picture. At night the room is very dramatic. Thoughts? Suggestions of adjustments? Keep in mind that rugs are not an option due to allergies
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 10:06AM
LPDesigns
Try floor lamps that project light upwards! At night this creates all kinds of drama as the light goes up and then cascades down
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 10:35AM
mpoulsom
sj, the color turned out great on the walls.....very pretty.
    Bookmark   Thanked by sj73116    December 6, 2013 at 11:05AM
leelee
You might need a rug with the living room furniture, yes? Make sure all the front feet of sofa and chairs are on the rug.
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 11:42AM
laurelhane
The new paint color looks great!! Good job! The furniture layout still feels a bit awkward but I know you have some limitations there. What if you swapped the two chairs - put the leather one where the fabric one is and vice verse. It feels lopsided with all the bulky pieces on the same side of the room. Give it a try!! :)
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 1:00PM
sj73116
Laurel I moved the chairs see pictures below and your thoughts?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 2:08PM
laurelhane
YES!!! :-) That feels better! Do you like it??
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 2:18PM
sj73116
gonna leave it there for a while. I don't know. I understood what your saying but their was alot of "weight" behind the throne chair hoping to off set. I will leave it and get a feel :)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 2:21PM
laurelhane
One more thing....what about swapping the art - put the long one behind the chair and the square one above the table (since you have a square one on the other side of the doorway - it would be a nice balance).
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 2:25PM
laurelhane
I just saw your response - I understand what you're saying. I think what I've just mentioned about the art will help to balance that corner out.
    Bookmark   December 6, 2013 at 2:26PM
mommickey
How about a indoor outdoor rug. In a high quality nylon, polyester, polypropylene and more. Most are mold- and mildew-resistant you can vaccum then and evem wash them with ivory soap and hang them to dry. My kids have asthma and My allergies are to many to name. I love your walls now.
    Bookmark   Thanked by sj73116    December 6, 2013 at 4:26PM
sj73116
5d where have you found yours?
    Bookmark   December 15, 2013 at 8:02AM
mommickey
I found the one I purchased at restortoration hardware. They have them at any places. Ballard designs Dash and albert, rugs usa. Home decorators, layla grace, overstocks grandin road. Frontgate. just google indoor outdoor rugs. Thousands to choose from I bought my 8 x 10 on clearance from restoration hardware at the end of the summer for 59.00. It was a steal.
    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 5:59PM
victorianbungalowranch
One King's Lane regularly has sales on some really nice indoor/outdoor rugs. Beautiful patterns of all kinds.

I agree that the chairs look better this way (sets off the cool upholstery off better too) and the swap of the pictures by the chairs would help too.

The big portrait in the dining room is a little intense for me while I'm eating, but I like it. How about putting that in the living room where the little pink picture is? The pink picture is looking a little lost there. or put the long purple picture there and the big portrait behind the side chair, and the turquoise one above the desk.

Then swap out the floor lamps and put the pink pictures (by window and in hall by couch) together in dining room. Then add the floor rug in the living room to pull it together. I like your art, but I don't know if it is just hung a little high or too scattered about, but it doesn't seem to quite show everything to its best advantage. Maybe some of the little ones can be grouped and you can get a friend or something to help you figure out how to hang everything to set it all off properly.

Hard to do with just pictures, and probably does look better in person, not that it looks bad. It just needs something, like a rug, maybe some washable toss pillows, to bring it all together.
    Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 8:31PM
I need help with my living room color and layout!
Im having trouble finding a good color to go with my...
aamare_mare
Living room color scheme/big wall help needed
Small living room, but high ceiling with one very prominent...
odinsdottir3
Modern style living room - color and flooring question
Hi it's my first post! Here's my design dilemma, it's...
daisygirls
Need help for Living Room color theme, wall color, etc!
I just got this couch and chair. I do not like the...
kaylat23
advice for living room color theme
hi everyone, I'm moving in my first house I'm really...
mawogani
What can I do to improve the curb appeal of this small home
I would like to improve the curb appeal of my small...
dmanuel3
Any idea where I can find this piece of art?? The name of it would be
I love this picture and would like to find it.
lrmccracken
Need help on ktichen/dining area flooring
We need to change the kitchen and dining room flooring...
juliettelea
What goes with this chair?
I need help figuring out what to out with my new chair!...
wapusk99
Blue square sofa
Any suggestions how to make my living room bright and...
Mirjana Jevtovic