General feedback on Dining Room
Frank Bright
Hi All, I thought I'd share my dining room for general feedback and suggestions. I'm new to interior design but I am enjoying learning. Thanks,...Frank B.
patriciarhall
lovely home, furniture, art and window treatments. Editing will make it even more beautiful. Consider moving the larger sideboard to the opposite wall, hang the colorful modern art piece (the one of the left in first picture) over it. The small lamp and red statue will look good on the sideboard. The two frameless modern art pieces you have on the opposite wall are good companions with the modern art look. The other pictures/paintings are out of sinc with the mod pieces. The extra chair also could find another home. The smaller console could be dressed as a bar on the shorter wall. Thanks for letting us play.
3 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 7:04AM
swewer
replace all three pictures with ONE generous size horizontal mirror the same metal finish of your light fixture over your table. Lose the small pictures of faces on opposite wall as they have no continuity with the room. swap the consoles with each of their existing spaces. replace the tiny candles on table with a larger round bowl of fist size glass balls or similar neutral colored objects or even a little greenhouse structure of distressed tones filled with mossy plants or rubber plants
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 7:45AM
patriciarhall
a mirror will reflect the kitchen side of the room....not too pretty.
2 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 7:52AM
Frank Bright
Hi Patricia, Thanks for your smart suggestions. I think I may go for doing most of them. I had a mirror (landscape mode) over the brown table and it didn't work out like I thought, so your perception is right on target. Thanks for helping out...
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 8:22AM
jenmillion
It looks like your dining room is long and narrow, from photos. I would consider painting your dining room the same color above and below the chair rail. Your dining table and chandelier is " modern" so i am thinking that is more your style? If so then i would remover the chair rail completely. I would go with a dark moody color, since you have Fabulous natural light. Remove those heavy drapes, and leave bare or perhaps a "topper" that runs at ceiling height to above door trim. Nothing to fru-fru . Your area rug seems a bit small for room, go with a bigger sisal one...much cheaper! and EDIT your current furnishings! ( in otherwords) remove everything you have in there but the table and chairs.....play with other items u may have in your home. Dont go overboard if you are going modern. Have fun and remember, take a chance in your home!...u may be surprised!
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 8:30AM
patriciarhall
Frank, I hope you will post pictures and share again.
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 10:06AM
yvonnecmartin
You definitely are on the right track. Your room is pleasant and looks functional.

If you need to keep the drapes for sun or temperature control, take them down and figure out why they are not crisp at the top. I had a similar problem and discovered that if I sewed the innerfacing to the top of the panel they would hang well. You don't have to use a lot of stitches, but do have to be careful that they don't show. If you can't do this or rope someone else to do this, your dry cleaner or tailor shop should be able to do so.

My reaction to the room is that there are either too many paintings or not enough paintings. Would you have some smaller ones to add to the left wall while removing the modern one? I think one wall with paintings is enough and like the suggestion that you put sconces and a mirror, wall sculpture, or an arrangement of colorful plates on the right wall. If you go for plates, you can often find interesting ones at a thrift store.

Your table runner could be bigger.
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 10:27AM
janishill
Hi Frank. patriciarhall's ideas on spot on. When you have followed her suggestions please post an updated picture and we will go from there. The Budda statue belongs in the living room. It works beautifully with the rug! :-) Maybe on top of the bookshelf instead of the ship...which would work better in your bedroom.

Yes, I have been touring your house.!
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 10:43AM
Frank Bright
OK, here's the changed version - Learning from Janishill's advice on the living room foyer, I put the pheasant print (which is an oriental print - it"s hard to tell that from a distance) over the bamboo Console (also oriental in style) along with the buddha book ends, holding local cook books.

I feel that this is noticeably better but I'm sure you all will have some great pointers. Many Thanks,
Frank B.
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 2:23PM
Frank Bright
Here's a better view of the left wall with the bamboo console table...
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 2:26PM
lisalovesquilts
Hi Frank I am enjoying everyone else's advice and have little to add. I think the ideas are sound but you started well anyway. I love the table and chairs ( I could happily eat dinner at your house)! The dark rug concerned me regarding crumbs but that's what dogs are for! I very much like the wall colours and the curtains. I think your home has a nice vibe, it looks friendly and homey and that's what's really attractive about it. I'm a little afraid of pattern and bright colour but you aren't and I'm glad to see that. Oh I love Houzz. Is it addictive?
2 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 2:41PM
I wanna play too! I like this arrangement better but think the two coordinating prints on either side of the console would look better side by side above the asian console. The frame tones go better with the console. I think it would also look good if the lamps flanking the prints matched. When you take the print above the console down, I'd put it in another room. It's okay to have empty wall space and will give importance to the console/prints/lamps.
3 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 2:43PM
anitajoyce
You did an awesome job on your dinning room. My eye is drawn to the pretty teal blue pillow. I would add a table runner to the table to replace what's on it now. It seems too small. I would also add the white flower on the back table to the dinning table (its a lovely accent).
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 2:48PM
Frank Bright
Many Thanks Lisa for looking in and for your compliments. Yes, I'm new to Houzz and so far it's wonderful. And all the photos of exquisite homes - where do they get them all?

Btw, the dark rug perhaps didn't photograph well but It is a good contrast to the brightness of rest of the room. It has dark red and dark blue and pale peach hues mixed with subtle white and grays.
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 2:48PM
Frank Bright
In response to Darzy's ideas, your ideas are good, but the two prints (they are both paintings really) that you suggested I put together over the oriental console are actually very different in size. The photo perspective here fools the eye into seeing them to be similar in size.

So I hesitate to couple them as such. The lamps are a thing I may have to live with for now. I do like the idea of not getting too "match-y-match-y" with everything. So we'll see. May Thanks for your comments....Frank B.
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 3:00PM
patriciarhall
Frank, the new arrangment is lovely!
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 3:15PM
Ahhh, it IS deceiving, the prints look similar in art and size. I'm with ya on the matchy-matchy! I'm "alergic" to matchy-matchy. lol Buffet's and bedside lamps are about the only matching lamps I consider. How about removing just the small one (lamp) and put maybe a pretty platter on an easel?
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 3:31PM
Frank Bright
Hey Darzy, your ideas inspired me to look deeper !

I DID use the pair match from the other corner side and moved them over to the oriental console - the two more vertical pieces flank the side areas of the console well I think. AND, I found a smaller lamp that at least matches shade color so it offends the eyes less I think.

What do you think??
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 3:42PM
Frank Bright
That pair actually has an oriental flavor as well.
1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 3:44PM
I do like this pair hung there!...With the tall lamp. : ) The tall one is prettiest, I think. Try the one lamp..then the books off center on the right to "balance" the lamp and books and see if you like!
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 3:55PM
Frank Bright
OK -- How about this - I think this works pretty well. What do you think?
4 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 4:53PM
Well, you are a brave soul to do this.

I love your chairs. The feeling I get is neoclassical and would like to see a dressier chandelier, a more modern, bigger rug and more drama in your paint choices. What you have now is lovely, but very traditional and I am not seeing traditional with those great chairs.

1 Like   October 15, 2012 at 5:50PM
njcook53
Such awesome advice - I'm always amazed someone sees something I didn't notice. But I do think you still have too much stuff in there. I would lose the little brass plant stand in the corner, and the tall vase with orange thingies. Maybe put another plant there. Remember, less is best! Good luck!
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 6:15PM
jenmillion
What you have done is much better than what u had. You know the old saying about opinions. What the bottom line is here, is wether YOU love it, and want to live in it. Maybe for future reference, I would suggest to future clients to cut out pictures of rooms and things they love, and put in a folder for each particular room. Clients could have a folder in 1 month that would point out their design style. With the internet, we can now cut that down to weeks! Perhaps, by doing so may help you into making decissions that are right for you and helping you find your own unique design style. Good Luck in feathering your nest! :)
0 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 7:11PM
janishill
FRANK B!!! I love what you have done. That is exactly where I would have suggested you hang the long mirror IF I had thought of it!

You do have a lot of paintings/prints. You can pare them down. It is OK to have some in the closet (or under the bed as the case may be) and occasionally change them out. Or put some in the hall or bathroom. The old saying 'less is more' sometimes rings true.

I really like the 2 oriental ones with the scone and mirror, but the ones to each side detract from the center items.

Regarding the two prints on the living room side wall...perhaps you can pair up either the two with darker frames or the two with lighter frames/backgrounds. Also when hanging your pictures (prints or paintings) make sure either the bottom or the top of the frames line up. It really doesn't matter which so long as one or the other is level. :-)

I know you must be excited with all these changes. Your house has become warm, exciting, homey, and comfortable in just a short time. You are doing a very good job and should be proud of yourself!

Janis
2 Likes   October 15, 2012 at 9:26PM
Frank Bright
Thanks to you all. I'm really glad you noticed the mirror Janis! And that you liked it. Yes, I am proud that I followed my own intuition there.

I do think the cluttered feeling some have mentioned will lessen once I find a smaller lamp that compliments the other. It'll really open up that area even more and allow the viewer to enjoy it more.

Judy you may be right about removing the floor vase and corner vase - just like Janis said, I have got a lot of art and vases with dry flower arrangements as well!

Gotta pair down, I agree. Many Thanks Ya'll,
Frank B
2 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 2:27AM
Frank Bright
Pare them down, that is.
1 Like   October 16, 2012 at 3:48AM
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
Looks nice to me.
1 Like   October 16, 2012 at 4:36AM
Frank Bright
I realized I had another lamp that could work - the leaves lamp, but it's shade was cheap looking, and it was an inset shade that rested on the fixture as a circle rather than having the 'arms-around' version. I had to change that to get the other shade from my other lamp to work.

I think this worked pretty well....See what you think
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 6:33AM
Frank Bright
The left lamp was not put back in place properly, so just ignore that if you can.
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 6:34AM
Frank Bright
Thanks Matt for such a great compliment.
1 Like   October 16, 2012 at 6:35AM
janishill
Frank...I hope you know I don't intend to come across rudely, but it is too much. While the lamp is lovely it makes that area look to busy along with the dragonfly picture and whatever that little round thing is (paper weight?) It would be best to remove them

Go back to thesquare blue and white lamp. The item on the other end does not have to be a lamp. You probably have a blue and white vase or something similar in size to the lamp that will work perfectly. It would be best if it were square to repeat the shape of the lamp and of the pictures.

Oh...I just looked back at the first pictures you posted. That square vase with the white orchids would probably be perfect!

Now that your bedroom, living room, and dining room are done are we gonna do your guest room, bathroom, or kitchen next? I am enjoying seeing all the Houzzers ideas. We all look, but see different things.
2 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 7:03AM
Frank Bright
OK, this is an update - Janis, what do you think? It's pretty close to what you suggested. I had other vases closer in size to the lamp, but I realized that "trying to match" the lamp size-scenario made it look 100x more awkward. It seemed more natural to go for contrast in size etc

Also I put a clock on the stand and replaced the smoked glass with an antique (milk...something) plate I just bought. Whether the picture shows it or not, the clock on the stand looks great to me. Thanks
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 10:48AM
janishill
I think it is too small, Frank. That was why I suggested the square vase with the white orchid. The flower provides enough height to make them similar without being the same... BUT it is your house and all that really matters is if you like it. :-)

I think your rooms have come a long way and look great over all. :-) You have been a kind and receptive soul to all the varying ideas and opinions...and there have been oodles of them. Thanks for allowing me to play a small part in your updates.
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 1:58PM
janishill
Oh...one more little thing. Pull the alli ficus away from the wall a little bit. :-}
1 Like   October 16, 2012 at 2:00PM
the essentials inside
Awesome. Love seeing the progression of your rooms. Houzz is so much more fun than trying to do it on your own. You've got a nice team of advisors here. Glad I can follow along!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
2 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 6:49PM
constancemary
I join with others in complimenting your receptivity to feedback, Frank. I can see you are really enjoying this adventure in decorating.

The most difficult part of any creative task is always the editing. I'm a writer and I find that I often have to sacrifice a fragrant phrase...you see, 'fragrant phrase' is just too much! 'Phrase' will do. It is the same with decorating.

Use fewer vignettes, no small tables in corners, fewer pictures, lamps, candles and flower arrangements. Decide on your focal point and let that shine! Store away some favourite things and bring them out to change things up yearly or seasonally...yes, even pictures. If you are doing a vignette of objects, say a lamp, art piece and pile of books, place them close to one another and arrange them so that they relate to one another and read as 'one.' Happy rearranging.
2 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 7:27PM
lisalovesquilts
Constancemary you're bang on comparing it to writing. My husband (writer/editor) says the same; write then read then rewrite because in the first flush you may do too much. The same with decorating step back, cool down and take a minute to re-evaluate. I have hung in here with Frank because as you say he's receptive and has good ideas of his own. I also thinks it's great how he puts up new photos for us. As with writing you want substance to your story not waffle. You can say so much with a well crafted sentence that many lesser authors lose in overwritten paragraphs. Keep it simple. I should follow my own advice here!
2 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 4:17AM
Frank Bright
I bought a new mirror which has changed everything ,,,,,
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 7:14AM
Frank Bright
I did some decorating ahead of time here - trying to apply what I've learned - so maybe I can be further ahead.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 7:19AM
swewer
I would say that one wall with all the clocks needs editing. Too much going, nothing matches. I would move the dark large round clock over the darker credenza on the opposite wall. Then eliminate all the other stuff. Maybe just keep the rectangle gold frame picture. Its hard to mix all those wood tone colors you have going on. Start with the dining table and match or coordinate from there. Nothing seems centered with the table ...
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 7:20AM
michigammemom
Frank, I would suggest removing the third fruitwood clock. The other 2 have an aged, vintage look whereas the octagon clock just looks like a standard kitchen variety.
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 7:22AM
janishill
I had hoped to see the scones in the living room. :-)

I like the winter secen over the buffet, but that is really all that is needed there. Remember less is usually more. Maybe with th escones on either side of it. Right now they are not in an optimal place. The outside edge of the piece of furniture below them is as far out as they should go. Right now they are 'off the chart' so to speak.

Anyway...this room is getting better and better!
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 7:31AM
Frank Bright
Thanks - you all are 'Betsy on the Ball' ! (Just my attempt there to feminize 'Johnny on the spot')

Michigammemom, I was just ahead of you. I realized I needed to remove the fourth clock (the fruit variety) above the flowers to have just 3 in vertical style. The fourth clock was too much.

Janis, I have hurricanes now with the mirror in the living room, and I didn't think it was necessary to have both sconces and hurricanes there so I wanted to try the sconces in here.

I noticed after posting that they are too far out, so I'll move them in. I really need to try them in that location because I have nothing else that could compliment the space around the mirror.

Thanks for all your feedback...
M
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 8:14AM
Sharyn
I love the color of the dining room. Classic. Is it possible to remove some of the drapery panels on the windows, just enough to frame the windows making it less bulky, and allow more light in? I like seeing more windows and the beautiful view outdoors. Also, just my opinion, but I think less on the walls would look cleaner, less cluttered. From your collection, pick out the pieces with same color frames for a more cohesive look. I like the round mirrored frame, paired with artwork on either side. Not a fan of the clocks - more of a family room decor. Keep it simple, less cluttered and the elegance will pop. Go for drama with a spectacular center piece on the table. Lose the little plant stands, guests might bump into them. Beautiful dining set...love the dark wood against the yellow/gold.
1 Like   November 1, 2012 at 8:17AM
Frank Bright
OK, a little bit of everybody's suggestions. Janis you were right about the sconces, so they're now where you suggested.

I know it's possible that the vertical mirror on the left now might not work, BUT I think it's also possible that it balances out the tree on the other end. I don't need to say 'you be the judge' because I know you will anyways !!

Btw, Sharyn, thank you for your helpful ideas - The vase I have is pretty large so I do think it makes a dramatic statement. I put it upfront to see better in the photo.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 9:12AM
Frank Bright
Maybe I could keep the vertical mirror and just remove the clock and stand - that would work better maybe....
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 9:14AM
Nancy Hehmann
You really have improved things! I was wondering if you might include the colors of your drapes into a table runner so they look like they belong . I think the room would look more color coordinated if the drapes were yellow (color of the walls) and white or a plain white or offwhite.
Just looked at your inspiration rooms and noticed you are from Savannah. I go there quite often to see family. Very lovely place!!
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 9:36AM
nevadan
What is that wonderful butterscotch paint color?
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 9:49AM
Glad to see someone having fun and playing with their room! I think the biggest change you could make for the better would be to replace the chandy. Love the vase on the dining table! Would like to see you drop the leaves on the bamboo piece and take it to the corner where the light switch is, stacking the two orientals on the wider wall above it (where the demi-lune was in your post 2 weeks ago) and the funky long mirror on the more slender wall. When are we moviing on to the living room?
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 9:52AM
janishill
decoenthusiaste..we have been working on th eliving room for weeks now. We were there yesterday as a matter of fact. :-)

Frank...the long mirror doesn't balance the tree. The tree doesn't need to be balanced anyway. Have you tried the long mirror over the doorway to the kitchen? Or maybe in the studio over the sofa? OR...what if you put it on the buffet and placed a long row of votive candles on it? I think that would be imaginative and gorgeous. Even on the table (if you add a table runner) The vase (which I really like) could go left of the buffet on that plant stand ~ to balance the tree! (laughing as I type that)

Oh...and pull the little vase and basket intoward the center so they are between the scones and the picture frame ~ visually forming a triangle. That is if you don't put the mirror there. :-)

OH...and the vase..well, it doesn't need flowers. It is gorgeous and needs nothing else. It can stand on its own.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 12:01PM
Frank Bright
Ok, I tried a couple of unexpected things -- I went to silver frames on that main wall.

And I reworked the plant stand and put a (silver-framed) clock in face-up where the gold plate used to be. You see, this balances the tree ! (LOL)
0 Likes   November 2, 2012 at 9:44AM
Frank Bright
I see the mirror needs to come down a few inches.
0 Likes   November 2, 2012 at 9:45AM
Kim D
Everything looks great, my only comment is your accessories need to be BEEFIER, BIG, HUGE. If it feels to big buy it, bring it home and see how it looks.
1 Like   November 2, 2012 at 9:58AM
Sharyn
I like the silver frame. Ties in with the chandelier nicely. Fun watching this room go thru the transformations.
1 Like   November 2, 2012 at 11:15AM
Frank Bright
Hi Rivers300...
I felt you had good point about size and impression etc. So I went for something different. I think this works Ok...

The main print is of an on-the-green putt at St. Andrews Golf Course in Scotland. Everyone is hovering and crowding around the putter, so much so that he should have claustrophobia. I admit this print has a darker edge but it is also very elegant I think.

I should pose a question here first - I wonder if I'm kind messed up from the beginning with this room because of a clash of styles. The rug (probably more visible in the first photos of this thread) is a classical style while the dining room table is modern - modern with classical lines maybe, but still modern.

Anyways, here's my latest scenario....
1 Like   November 3, 2012 at 9:30AM
Frank Bright
Another scenario would be to keep this but substitute the earlier boat/landscape painting for the golf print.

That would, however, completely feminize the room decor, which is not bad necessarily but maybe not what I would want.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 9:35AM
minamarkwood
Wow, Frank! You are a good sport! I love the color of the walls. Can you tell me what paint you used?
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 9:55AM
janishill
Frank...before you riddle the walls with any more holes, try laying the art work out on th efloor as I suggested you do in th eliving room.

The theme and the colors of what you have over the buffet right now do not work together.

The winter scene with the scones looked best. Nothing more. The entire wall doesn't need to be covered in pictures/paintings. Allow the eye to rest so it can appreciate what you do have.

My 2 cents and then some. (sigh) Sorry. I think perhaps I will bow out for a while.
0 Likes   November 3, 2012 at 10:07AM
Frank Bright
Hi ya'll,
Peacomb, that is a yellow, stitched-style wallpaper in the dining room, so it's not painted at all.

Ok, since you guys don't like more than one piece of art per 15 square feet (lol, just joking there), I went the other way here.

And actually, since this is wallpaper, I think this works pretty well...

See what you think....
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 4:22AM
janishill
LOL...the long mirror is too narrow. You need something more proportionate.

I was thinking about the empty space and music. It is the same with decorating. The rooms purpose would be the timber, the furniture the dynamics, the structure is the arrangment of the furniture, the artwork is the melody, the harmony is how the artwork and other accessories are arranged, and the rhythm is the balance of the arrangement. Without all of these components the room falls flat, just as the music does.

Give the room some harmony...
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 5:07AM
Frank Bright
Hi Janis,
With the sconces, I think the effect is fine - the narrowness is actually the point.

I mentioned problems about inferring spacial dimensions from a 2-D photo in the kitchen thread. It's just a cautionary point I'm putting out - I don't mean to offend anyone because you all have given me so much time and help.

I do appreciate all your time and feedback.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 6:51AM
Frank Bright
I should clarify this.... It's not that one can't tell spacial dimensions from a photo at all. It's just that I think one should allow a notable margin for error.
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 7:05AM
janishill
Yes, agreed, but the height of the mirror should excede the height of the scones. You could hang a picture over it...
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 7:09AM
Frank Bright
Ok, this is my wall and I'm sticking with it I think. It's what I had decided on before but now with all the peripheral clutter removed.

Thanks you all ! On to the guest rooms....
3 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 8:00AM
Peggy Horvath, LEED-AP, Allied ASID
You are such a trouper Frank! Very nicely done. Thanks for letting me follow along.
2 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 9:06AM
Frank Bright
Thanks Peggy!
0 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 10:24AM
Frank Bright
Janis, your expounding on the music analogy to decor was very original.

There is the accepted truth, especially in harmony, that if you are creative, you'll make your best music when you break the rules.
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 10:32AM
janishill
LOL...Frank...waaay back up in this thread you had that exact same layout. I think most everyone thought it looked lovely. I know I did and said as much. The only thing different was changing thetaller lamp and a short squatty flower pot to something that was similar in height. I never figured out why you changed it. It is perfectly balanced and proportionate.

In decorating there is a similar axiom, but surely it would depend on where ones talent lies, would it not?

My apologies for offending you.
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 11:13AM
Frank Bright
Hi Janis,
I didn't say I was offended! Maybe I'm frustrated with the process right now but that just comes from doing all this online.

I did say in my comment just above that I was going back to "what I had decided on earlier", hence the waaay back stuff you mentioned.

Talent is the thing - that's for sure.
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 2:46PM
Frank Bright
Some thoughts about this process for me -

I think there can be a fine line between pushing to the next level and chasing your tail. I've done both - with the living room, everyone (even my local decor friend here in Savannah) told me "you're done. Leave it alone !"

But I kept pushing and voila, I found the perfect art piece that pulled it together. I got to the next level.

Here,... maybe not. I've tried different things but I perhaps got impatient. I'm trying a new mirror now but whether there's a way to pull it all in like the living room, I can't say.

I am learning some of the "rules” right now and hopefully, some of the craft of decor.

Whether I have a talent for decor remains to be seen. I can learn some of the craft, but craft and talent are two different things. One can do the mechanics, stick to the rules and do good work. But it doesn't excite you when you see it.

My fascination lately is looking at a living room decor in a magazine and after seeing that NONE of the items on their own do Anything for me, the room as a whole pops and jumps out as one unit and I go "Wow!!"

That's what blows my mind about decor lately.
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 5:14PM
ktinainsworth
Good Job Frank! When are you inviting us to dinner????
1 Like   November 4, 2012 at 5:26PM
Frank Bright
I don't have enough room for everybody!

Anyways, here's a new mirror - please tell me this works...
(The other one is over the fireplace now).
2 Likes   November 4, 2012 at 7:04PM
the essentials inside
I love the new mirror!

You make some great points about craft & talent. I think (in this country at least) that we have an expectation that someone's "talent" is immediately recognized both by the "talented" person and others. While I think that is the case for some, I also think talent can sit below the surface for a long time and can only emerge with practice. So keep practicing. You're doing a fantastic job so far.

Remember too that there is no real "right" and "wrong" way to decorate & thank goodness. Otherwise, everything would look the same. Forever.

See you in the next room!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 10:26AM
Frank Bright
Thanks Lyvonne! Your words are very encouraging. I appreciate your compliments especially.

It is time for the next room, as you suggested. See you there !!
PS It'll be titled 'guest room - general feedback'
2 Likes   November 5, 2012 at 12:35PM
the essentials inside
Frank - Saw this in Lonny Mag, thought of you. http://lonnymag.com/issues/43-lonny-october-2012/pages/1#p27

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:02PM
marvsten1
Try switching the plant for something more leafy such as a palm tree. It will let light through the leaves. Also a neat idea would be to paint the drapery rod same color as the crown molding. Good luck.
0 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:19PM
Frank Bright
Thanks Lyvonne and Marsten1 !
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 4:23AM
the essentials inside
My pleasure!

Lyvonne
0 Likes   November 8, 2012 at 9:53AM
imherenow44
What are you thinking. How do you live with that in your home. Although the table is nice I dislike the lights right above the table
0 Likes   November 21, 2012 at 10:24AM
Frank Bright
I didn't think anything. Those lights were there when I moved into the house. I'm not overly thrilled with them either, but I live them fine.

I'll change them if and when things get more defined.
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 6:53PM
the essentials inside
Hi Frank! I thank that commenter is a "spammer." The other comments by that commenter are similar to the one above (but actually worse). I notified Houzz.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
1 Like   November 21, 2012 at 7:32PM
lisalovesquilts
Hi Lyvonne and Frank. Again nice work Frank. I still love the table and chairs! I was very new myself to Houzz when I came across your thread Frank and I am only now beginning to recognize some trolls/teasers! Never mind them, too many good people out here to keep us right. I'm glad you kept the curtains and wall colour - very warm.
1 Like   January 2, 2013 at 3:00PM
Would like feedback on my dining room
Looking for feedback ideas color art Suggestions. Thank...
Dining Room - feedback please!
I am a first time homeowner on a tight budget but want...
Kitchen/Dining/Living - Great Room - Feedback wanted
I am looking for feedback on a concept (I used Sketchup...
Looking for feedback on this Kitchen and Dining Room Flip
I live in a 1500+ SQ Ft. Condo. My current family...
Large slate wall
I have been trying to decide what to do about this...
Blackish blue paint color?
Need blackish blue paint color and brand. Please help!!!...
Steam Shower feedback, please
I need some advice on a custom-built steam shower versus...
Living room layout
Would appreciate any thoughts regarding this living...
Best off-white/cream color for kitchen?
Our dining area is open to the kitchen but has no window....