Need help re-configuring an out of date TINY galley kitchen
emilymtoner
Looking into purchasing a condo with a small (10 ft long, everything on one wall) galley kitchen that is severely outdated.

Currently, the oven is a microwave/convection oven above the dishwasher and cooktop, but I'd like to have the oven on the ground. Yet still have a dishwasher, fridge and one set of drawers.

With such limited space, and having a fridge, oven AND dishwasher, I'm left with no drawers. Is there any other way to reconfigure without letting costs get too high? I'm a first time home owner and would like to keep it around $10,000.

Current kitchen pictures attached.
What is on the opposite wall? Can you "steal" enough space from the adjoining room to have cabinets (or open to LR) on that wall?
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 1:05PM
I'm very confused - the cooktop has a dishwasher under it? And you have a microwave above the sink AND the cooktop?
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 1:10PM
emilymtoner
What can I say, it's a confusing space! I really have no idea why things are laid out as they are. The dishwasher is under the cook top and the oven is above it. And they have a microwave.

As for the opposite wall, its only about 3 feet from the counter you see here so I can likely have a shelf higher up to put things on, but not much else, without taking away valuable space. I would love to open it up to the LR, but unfortunately I don't think that's within my budget. I will certainly have some storage in other closets, but want to maximize my options within the kitchen itself.
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 1:14PM
Well I would say the current homeowner is either completely lost or very creative!

Here's what I would do: The cabinet under the sink - have a drawer unit made to fit there. One of the drawers may have to have a ""U" cut into it to allow for the plumbing but you shouldn't lose that much space.

The area that holds the drawer unit you have now could be turned into a small space dishwasher, they do sell these and it might be a perfect fit. You would need to measure.

Replace the cooktop/dishwasher with a full range.

Add decorative shelves above, where the convection oven is, for frequently used items like drinking glasses and dinner/lunch plates.

You will need to make the most of your countertops to hold silverware and cooking utensils because your drawer space will still be limited, but at least you won't lose any of it.
0 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 1:28PM
If you have $10,000 to spend on one wall and are keeping the microwave and fridge, you could probably go to a kitchen designer or even a big box store and have them re-configure that entire space, including cabinets and range and dishwasher!
1 Like   October 16, 2012 at 1:38PM
Melissa Doan - Weidel Realtors - New Hope
If you're willing to demo yourself and with friends.... you may be able to rip all cabinets out and start from scratch with an Ikea set. Look to see if they have anything you like (its not the right style for everyone). In a smaller space and just one 10 ft wall worth - no cabinets needed across, you may be able to keep a set of ikea cabinets and ikea countertop to under 10,000... although it would likely be cutting it close. Just a thought.
Some more on effective galley layouts:
3 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 1:40PM
Melissa, I totally agree! Or even skip the uppers and do all shelves across which will allow more $$$ for lowers or appliances.
1 Like   October 16, 2012 at 1:41PM
@Melissa...that is exactly what I was thinking. IKEA site has a 3D kitchen planner and 10k is do-able, and you may also add nice finishes to the space. I'd get a bid .. you may be even able to demo part of the wall and have a penninsula open to the LR. With limited space, you can also hang utinsils, pots, etc attractively on the back wall.
2 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 1:46PM
Manon Floreat
I think if you shop around, enlist the help of friends and family, you can take down the wall and have an island and open concept kitchen for less than $10K. The finishes and appliances may need to be economical and you may have to work with the cabinetry you have (for now) but I think you can have something really nice and functional with a good plan, smart shopping and some elbow grease.

Look at this teeny weeny kitchen:
Tile

Here's another petite one that used a rolling island:
Gallery Loft
2 Likes   October 16, 2012 at 5:52PM
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 8:41AM
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 8:42AM
Simpkins & Associates, Inc.
What is on the opposite wall? Can the opposite wall go away? $10,000 will go a long way in a kitchen this size.
0 Likes   October 19, 2012 at 8:45AM
Seal Tex Metals
We can fabricate stainless countertops to go over your old tops to give this kitchen an updated look.
0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 5:24AM
Need help with kitchen re-configuration
Our plan as a quick fix without totally rehabbing the...
realtour
I need help re-configuring a bathroom.
We want to add a jet tub, possibly a corner tub. We...
Karen Saxton
We have small spaces that need to be re-configured for optimum use.
I feel like I live in a "box". Moved from a large...
tannajor1
Need help - small, dated galley kitchen color ideas
I recently bought this townhouse and need some help...
Jessica Z
Need help on how to re-vamp an out of date large ottoman.
My living room set came with a very large dark brown...
Danette Duprey
rredpenn
Need colour help...
Ok so I am not a designer or anything and I need some...
milloy36
opening up a stairway
We live in an 1890's farmhouse. The stairway is accessed...
thebigredbarn
HELP! Mid Century modern or mixed MCM Rehab? For resale
Hi, I'm working on my first MCM house and have to choose...
artsyblnd
Large, dark bedroom with only one fixture!
Help: I have a very large bedroom with only two windows...
Jennifer Coon