Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hesloprn

Need help finding out exactly what design type this house is and how we can re-design the exterior.

hesloprn
11 years ago
This is a 1967 Colonial type home that we are interested in remodeling the exterior. Does anyone have any ideas on how we could make it a pitched roof and completely change the look of this house? Or do you know of any websites that we could look at the before and afters similar to this type of house?

Comments (13)

• elcieg
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    It is a Mansard Why change? I like it, just a few tweaks might bring it up a notch.

But here is an example of a new roof over the Mansard.

Countryside Make over · More Info
  • hesloprn
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you. Not sure if I want to change it either. My husband isn't in love with it, but he did say it was growing on him. I just wanted to have options. Thank you for your help, I love the make over idea as well !!!!
  • mmilos
    11 years ago
    Hire a professional landscape designer. They can give you ideas to modify your landscape to help play up your home's strengths and minimize its weaknesses. I would look into a landscape remodel before spending huge $$$ redoing your roof line. My $0.02.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    It is a classic and will grow on you. Landscaping is where to spend the bucks. The only thing I would consider, for a later date when needed, would be to rethink all the white trim and get a solid door where you could put a pop of color. You already have sidelights so the door doesn't need a window.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    Here is one mansard roof conversion that I love:
    Mansard Makeover - before and after · More Info

Search the photo exterior section of Houzz for "mansard roof" to see the varity and details. You might get some ideas there.
  • Dar Eckert
    11 years ago
    The first thing that comes to mind is to put on a metal roof add a little color but the traditional look is wood shakes. A entryway over the front door would add some interest as the photo I attached.
    Also add a pergola over the double door. I'm assuming the double window on the right is a door If not it should be. Consider replacing the windows with french doors. That would be a lovely spot for garden with pergola.

Add some trees and landscaping. Kinda looks like the house was just plopped down
    Exterior · More Info

Custom 10’ x 26’ Wall Mount Treated Pine Pergola · More Info
  • hesloprn
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, my husband and I LOVE that conversion. What we like about it most is that we could do all the color changes & do landscaping. Then whoever the roof is in need of repair at a later date we could do the roof conversions.
    We were thinking of adding a more burgundy or brown color for the doors & windows on the bottom to pull from the brick. We don't like all the white. In the picture above we like how they removed the shutters & added the boxed in wood under the windows as well. We then thought of adding a door where the double windows are in the middle & connecting it with a patio & walk way. We would use this pictures design for the entrance for both the original door & the added middle door. What do you think? Also if we would go with a burgundy door what would look nice color wise for the bottom & top windows?
  • Dar Eckert
    11 years ago
    I don't like shutters myself so I would eliminate them. Sounds like you have a plan! Go for it.
  • PRO
    A Cultivated Art Inc.
    11 years ago
    If you are going to have two doors on the front of your house be sure to highlight one of them as the entrance you would like people to come to. You can acomplish in a few different ways. One option would by designing the walk to that door to be wider and/or of a more formal material such as cut stone. Another would be to add the arched portico over the entrance and keep it as a central door with two side lights and to install a French door style for the new doors with the mullion spacing similar to the spacing in the existing windows. This would also work well with the pergola that Dar Eckert suggested above over the patio off of the french doors.
  • hesloprn
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You guys are wonderful!!!! We are going to wait to change the roof when it is time to repair it. I do like the idea of a metal roof.

Could you please help me out with a color pallet for the outside. I just don't have and eye for those kind of things. If I see a picture then I can go with that, but these brick and the white windows have me a little stumped. If we use that red door I would like to use a cream accent, but that probably wont go well with the crossbars of the white windows. I do not like white. I am more of a green, red, brown type of person. I like the darker colors, but I don't want it to be too dark. Any suggestions on what color to pull out of the brick so they don't look so white. should we do the top and bottom windows the same colors??
    Thank you so much for your suggestions, they are EXTREMELY helpful.
  • Dar Eckert
    11 years ago
    Can you take a photo of you bricks close up? Also closeup of the front facade would help too.
  • hesloprn
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Here are some close up picks. We also would like to put a couple trees in the large front yard. Where would they look the best?