Back splash for Kitchen
pepe1111
Having a difficult time finding something to compliment espresso cabinets and a dark busy counter - Stove and fridge is black.
Sink area to left has wall where toaster and kettle are - where do you stop the back splash ?
This kitchen is similar to yours with a slightly lighter countertop. They used square tiles set in a diamond pattern, it almost looks quilted: [houzz=
]

I would take the backsplash all the way to the end of the countertop, then finish it off with a piece of quarter round molding. Should be great!
3 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 4:54PM
Custom Home Planning Center
tumbled marbles come in a number of tones that work well.
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 5:00PM
pepe1111
Would like something with a bit of silver in it. does that come in tumbled marble?
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 5:06PM
Mint Design
I suggest mirror which is relatively inexpensive, will not look busy and easy is to clean. Take the backsplash all the way to the uppers and top them with ogee trim where there are no uppers.
2 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 5:11PM
millerty1971
I suggest a more natural stone, earthy look, you don't want it to be out style in 5 years, this is a basement kitchen that I installed the backsplash
1 Like   October 17, 2012 at 6:47PM
pepe1111
Thank you for your suggestions: I had never thought of mirror - not too sure about this Mint Design.
Bobbi P - like your suggestion - but would like to add some pewter/silver/brushed nlickle accent?
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 6:48PM
pepe1111
Thankyou millerty1971 - very nice - i can see something like this would work!
0 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 6:52PM
Mint Design
pepe1111, did you see the photos of the mirrored backsplashes? I have done this in many different styles of kitchens; it is timeless and I have never had anyone who did not like it. The next timeless thing would be Carrera marble, stainless steel, then white subway tiles. I would not suggest Carrera for you since you have a different countertop. You do not want your backsplash to busy your kitchen.
1 Like   October 17, 2012 at 7:09PM
victorianbungalowranch
My vote is for stainless steel or even metal sheeting. Simple subway tile in sort of a cream or maybe even painted and distressed tin type tile could look nice, and even just painting it green like the sample on the wall would work. Beadboard can be a nice traditional look too.
1 Like   October 17, 2012 at 7:50PM
Gardner/Fox Associates, Inc
Bobbi P is on to something! Maybe a natural stone in one of the lighter tones from the counter top combined with a medium toned accent tile. I do think you'll want something lighter for the backsplash. I'm attaching images of espresso cabinets with lighter counters and plain white subway tile for the backsplash. The cabinets look similar to yours. Also sending over a more modernist style with mosaic slate. The cabinets in the third image are much lighter, but I think the tile pattern, color and accent could really work for you. Hope this sparks something for ya!
2 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 7:57PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I like the idea that Bobbi presented. In that picture you can see where a metallic accent tile has been "clipped" into the corners. This is how you can bring in your silver.
2 Likes   October 17, 2012 at 8:58PM
J & D Interiors
I'd add a 1 x 1 stainless steel mosaic. It will add a fresh, clean design, as well as, reflect light.
1 Like   October 18, 2012 at 12:59AM
apennameandthata
You need to take into account the floor colour and the colour of the rest of the house. And your furniture.

Anyway, it looks nice as it is.

Bobbi P is a very well regarded Houzzer, but I think that the only thing stopping your kitchen looking better than BP's first example is under-cabinet lighting and professional photography. Why? Well, the tiles and the busy counter top clash a LITTLE, IMHO.
3 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 1:42AM
pepe1111, I'm glad you like my suggestion, thanks for letting me know. The small inset tiles can be done in a solid stainless to give you the silver you're looking for.
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 3:27AM
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi pepe1111, if you're looking for silver you could do a a stainless steel tile or silver mirror, similar to what was suggested above, but in tile. We have many colors and shapes to choose from, and frosted mirror is another nice option - still with the same color tones and light enhancement effect, but a little toned down. We would also love to help you custom match tile to your counters if you'd prefer a subtle blend of tiles in the highlight color in your counters with a touch of silver.
1 Like   October 18, 2012 at 6:27AM
pepe1111
Thank you Mint Design - looked at some of the mirror backsplash on site - I need more convincing for this one - I do like it but not too sure if it would work here - I do like the glass tiles though!
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 10:43AM
pepe1111
TY Victorianbungalowranch - I would like some of the stainless steel - most likely brushed nickle though incorporated into some design - with another tile
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 10:46AM
Susan Jablon Mosaics
pepe1111, do you know the name of your counter surface or have a closer up photo? We'd love to give you some options for custom matched glass tile backsplashes!
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 10:47AM
pepe1111
Gardner/Fox love the 3rd pic - unfortunately would not work as I am working with dark cupboards and dark counter top as well - subway tiles I have never liked - reminds me of school days LOL
1 Like   October 18, 2012 at 10:48AM
pepe1111
Deborah Butler and JD interiors - yes, I keep going back to Bobbi's suggestion - work with an insert that will compliment both tile and counter/cupboards
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 10:50AM
pepe1111
apennameandthata floors are tile - light coffee color slightly stressed tile - theme of house is contemporary modern black leather couch etc espresso accent walls with kinda sea green/grey walls
Kitchen could use more lighting for sure - will look into under counter lighting - or maybe back splash would bring some light in too!
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 10:55AM
pepe1111
Counter top
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 11:09AM
pepe1111
Accent walls etc - gives an idea of house decor!
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 11:11AM
pepe1111
Floor tile in kitchen
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 11:12AM
pepe1111
walls - color is more of green/grey - it is a Benjamin Moore - cannot remember name
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 11:14AM
michigammemom
pepe111, I like the tumbled stone that Bobbi pictured. You can easily add some metallic accent tiles if you wish.
1 Like   October 18, 2012 at 11:18AM
Vikrant Sharma Homez
pepe go for something peppy or a neutral .
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 11:19AM
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi pepe1111, Marie here.
You continue your backsplash right around the corner and end it where the edge of the countertop ends.
Regarding your backsplash style or type of tile, you need to define your preferred look.
Contemporary - stainless steel backsplash
transitional - glass or mixed mosaics
Traditional - porcelain, ceramic or aged travertine tiles
etc., etc.,
What look are you after for the end result - modern? traditional? From the look of your cappucino maker, you seem to be leaning more modern...
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 11:26AM
pepe1111
Vikrant - thanks for your suggestion - it's finding that "peppy" tile :) that is neutral - that's the difficult part
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 11:28AM
pepe1111
michigammemom - love this - but need something with a bit of a mod/contemp twist - this is much more difficult than I thought!
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 11:30AM
pepe1111
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc. - Marie you got it - it is more modern - not too modern though - I am far from designer - interior or any kind of design - usually it's trial and error - but do not have any room for error here!
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 11:33AM
Susan Jablon Mosaics
I would love to show you some samples that would work for your backsplash. Please contact me off Houzz with your mailing address and I will pop samples in the mail. Susan
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 11:44AM
J & D Interiors
I like these tiles from Eden Mosaics: http://www.edenmosaictile.com/emt_alc3d-mix-cb~3d-silver-and-pewter-aluminum-square-mosaic-tile.asp
There is enough 'movement' to create interest; it'll give you some 'pop' where you don't currently have any; and is contemporary and interesting!
1 Like   October 18, 2012 at 12:09PM
pepe1111
J&D love this! but is far too busy for my counter top - maybe use strips of this?
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 12:32PM
J & D Interiors
Pepe1111, are you asking expert advice or just gathering opinions?

This is far from being too busy and in good design-less is more! You already have a 4" backsplash that is the same material as the countertop and now you just have to add in 14" of another material...when you look at good contemporary designs-do you see bric-brac and multiple materials like you see in a traditional, old world or everyday backsplashes OR do you see simple, clean lines? Simple, clean is where I'd suggest for your backsplash and not adding in a stripe with an additional 'other' material, unless of course it is the countertop material you already have going.

Too many people try to be so unique and then end up with nothing special. Excuse the expression but 'are you trying to put 10 pounds of stuffing in a 5 pound sack?'
2 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 1:39PM
pepe1111
J&D TY for you for your expert advise and opinion - much appreciated! I am looking for both - just looking for the right fit for counter and kitchen as well as our home :)
0 Likes   October 18, 2012 at 1:50PM
Ideas for living room arrangement?
Hello to everyone! We just bought our first apartment...
Need help updating my old kitchen
Here are pictures of my old kitchen currently being...
How to update family room, wood beams, brick fireplace
I'm looking for ideas on how to treat the fireplace...
Fitted Bedspread
Hello, I saw a model home that includes a fitted bedspread....