Bathroom Tile Choice - New Construction
Tziona Rand
October 18, 2012
I would appreciate any advice on tile placement in my daughters' bathroom. I'm planning on doing the bathroom with white tile as the primary color.

In the attached photo, you can see the room in its current phase of construction. (I'm in Israel so the construction is with concrete). From right to left - niche for vanity/sink, toilet under window, bathtub.

I love how this looks but I'm not sure if it will work with the niche and if I should turquoise somewhere else to provide balance.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/users/amayhg/p/42
S. Thomas Kutch
Tziona....I'm curious as to what the blue hose coming out of the wall is....? Please tell me your walls will be getting a parge coat to provide you a level surface for your tile installation.

I like the idea of white tiles. I had a friend from Israel who did a similar bathroom using white tile and placed a continuous band of hand made tile with a scripture in Hebrew on them as an accent. There were 2 letters per tile in this band and the artistic flow of the letters turned out to be a winner.
    Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:26AM
Tziona Rand
A pvc pipe for cold water is inside that blue hose. Blue for cold, red for hot. The pvc pipes are threaded through the casing so they can be strung in and out in case a leaky pipe needs replacement. Eliminates the need to rip up the floor. That will be the connection for the bathtub faucet.

Yes, the walls have had 2 coatings since this photo was taken on Sunday :-).
    Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:44AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Thank you. I love that idea and had never really considered it. Even old dogs can learn new tricks.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:50AM
TanCalGal
The link you provide, has several photos and I'm not sure which one you like?
    Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 4:21PM
Tziona Rand
Oops, sorry! Here it is:

Looking forward to your suggestions.
    Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 9:39PM
TanCalGal
This is a beautiful accent tile. I'd leave this turquoise as the focal point and not continue the color elsewhere in bathroom. Does the color harmonize with the rest of house? What are your ideas for window covering? Tub curtain or enclosure? Towels? Rug? This beautiful turquoise + white seems to call for white towels & other accessories. How R U feeling about white towels and your kid? I have white tile in some bathrooms and find it shows every little speck & I am cleaning constantly. When I've planned kids bathrooms in past I began backwards. First I chose the color of the towels I thought would hold up to a kid's usage...then, I chose the tile. Her bathroom should also coordinate with the bedroom, if they adjoin. If she loves turquoise: how about turquoise towels, beige / turquoise floor tile & continue that same tile up wall.
    Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 10:27AM
Tziona Rand
Thanks for your comment. So you think I should just lay the turquoise tile in the niche behind the sink as done in the photo? Or, should I do the whole niche? Tile is up to the ceiling in the whole bathroom.

Floor will be beige or brown. The windows have a blue/black aluminum frame and milky glass so no window color. I'm not so concerned about matching towels at the moment but the shower curtain will have to match.

Most important to me is a bathroom design that will "grow up" with the kids and not go out of style.
    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 11:08AM
TanCalGal
I do not think there is a niche in the above photo. Yours will be nicer b/c you do have a niche. I think the turquoise tile in the back of niche only. What do you think? What will be on sides and narrow front of niche? White tile? Something else?

Turquoise in back with rest white would look something like this
    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 11:31AM
Tziona Rand
That picture did help me visualize the niche with turquoise in the back and white on the sides.

1 Like    Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 12:59PM
Tziona Rand
For those of you who were kind enough to give suggestions - here are photos of the tiling (in process) of my two kids bathrooms.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 6, 2012 at 4:24AM
Tziona Rand
Finished product...
1 Like    Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:46AM
Need help with kitchen design. New construction
My wife and i are building a house and we both like...
mradawson
Hardwood selection - New construction
Hi everyone, I'm in the process of making selections...
smerani
Interior Paint Color or Colors for New Construction Home, HELP!!!
We are building a new home that was supposed to be...
pannemieke
New Construction: Upgrade counters and tile with builder or do later?
We are purchasing a new construction home and have...
zheng659
Need help - tile choice for master bath renovation
Hi, I'm hoping to get advice on my choices for my master...
bathdilemna
Need ideas for the bathroom/floor & empty wall.
I cannot seem to find the right picture for this bathroom...
decorcrazy
Help me choose some nursery details
Our first baby, a boy, will be here in April! The biggest...
bonnieanneryan
color dilemma
I just want to know what 2 colors complement dark red...
Erica Fennelly
What would you do with these shelves and this space?! Go crazy!
This is a beautiful 130 year old house. Redone but...
Nicole Gibson
Need help with furniture layout for a lanai
No photos, but have layout... not sure how to attach...
mcclelland713