What in the world can I do with this?
lleisinger
My husband and I purchased this house from auction. Gutted the inside and made a great contemporary great room. It's the outside of the house that's driving me crazy. Any suggestions?
Wow! Nice kitchen! What is wrong with the outside, I mean what don't you like? Is it the slope?

First thing I would want to do is change the awning over the door, is that the front door? I see you have two of them.
October 19, 2012 at 2:01pm     
lleisinger
Yes - I hate the front door. We don't use it. It has an awning over it. Don't get me started with the block foundation, oh my. We enclosed the side porch and use this door as our main enterence.
October 19, 2012 at 2:05pm   
Well if the door with the awning over it is your front door, why don't you do something to disguise the other one to avoid confusion. You could do something as simple as put large planters on the stairs to discourage people from going there.

That awning wouldn't make me happy either, how about something more like this? [houzz=studiobfg.com]
OR [houzz=Architecture Walk: Exterior Styles and Palettes]

The triangular area of the slope I would paint in a deep rich green, then put terra cotta (or green) pots against it holding shade plants
October 19, 2012 at 2:10pm   
Laurie E. Friedman, AIA Architect, LEED AP
It that vinyl siding I see? If so, I suggest that it be replaced with a product similar to cement panel siding made by James Hardie. There's a variety of patterns, from horizontal siding to shingles -- all resembling wood with integral color and very low maintenance. Now if the siding is wood, select a light color like blue or beige and contrast it with a white color for the trim. The wood shutters can remain a darker color and the main entry door should be an eye-catching brighter color like a rich, but cooler red. Like Bobbi P suggests, remove the awning over the door and replace it with an overhand or extension of the roof held up by wood posts to more strongly define the main entry. Adding some accent colors in the landscaping would be a nice touch as well to more clearly define the path to the the main entry. Good luck!
October 19, 2012 at 2:11pm     
Judy M
was the section with the awning originally the garage? as I see asphalt there. It seems you would be wise to seek professional advice. But my eye says get rid of asphalt and make a new entrance from the garages to the Original front door, that will also help to balance the slope. remove the large tree and update the front landscaping. Perhaps add a second sidewalk with entry to the entrance with the awning.
October 19, 2012 at 2:16pm   
The tree is great. Make the most of it. That could be the start of landscaping the slope.

October 19, 2012 at 2:23pm     
Nice! I like that!....Bobbi
October 19, 2012 at 2:24pm   
lleisinger
Believe this or not. The side porch was enclosed. The driveway is new, the only way to get into the house was the basement door at the bottom of the slope. We added the driveway and enclosed the porch with windows .

I thought about taking off the porch and awning and replacing with a small deck or place steps in front of the door and slope a sidewalk over. But we don't want to use this door or invite people to enter there. We'd like to focus the enterence to the side porch area.

How can I focus the eye on the side enterence?
October 19, 2012 at 2:25pm   
Stanton Designs-online design services
I see your point...the first thing i notice is the large slope. What you could do is add some large planters on both sides of the door...that would catch peoples eyes. And add a large big door...and I mean like a wood or a color that would stand out.

Do you really need that other door?
October 19, 2012 at 2:31pm     
Dar Eckert
via rosita
Knightwood Residence
Restyled Home
Good job on the inside. The outside also has a lot of potential. For your main entrance you should build out a gable. I have attached a couple of examples. A porch that extends from the new main entrance the entire length of the house would also be a great addition. A porch would hide the blocks from the front and the second front door could be a door out to the deck. You may want to extend the roof over the deck or just build on a pergola over it. I couldn't find a good example of a deck except for the fourth photo. Also replace the driveway infront of the door with a sidewalk.
Farmhouse
October 19, 2012 at 2:46pm   
Please throw your ideas to my living room. Thank you.
Hello everyone, This is the living room in my new...
I have a cave in the middle of my backyard .what do I do with it?
The cave is positioned between the main house and the...
What do you miss most about your parent's house?
It could be a particular piece of furniture, the smell,...
Choppy co-oop floor plan
How do you design living room given small space and...
Bathroom mirror vanity size and frame colour
I am having a mirror made for the area above the vanity...