Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnmariep86

Here's what I did with my rock wall...

Lynn Marie
13 years ago

I posted about a week ago asking for suggestions for my boring rock wall with a privacy fence perched on top...
{{gwi:1363023}}From how to fix a plain fence on a rock wall

I found pictures of mirrors that looked like open windows online, but they were all in the UK. I had a couple of pieces of fencing laying around and thought I could use that to build a couple myself.
{{gwi:1363024}}From how to fix a plain fence on a rock wall

The mirrors were only $11 each at Lowes. I bought two mirrors, a 4X4 piece of plywood, a can of caulk and liquid nails (I didn't know which to use, so I used both) and two pieces of plain trim. Total less than $50.
{{gwi:1363025}}From how to fix a plain fence on a rock wall
{{gwi:1363026}}From how to fix a plain fence on a rock wall

I also bought a concrete planter and a (hopefully) hardy ornamental grass to put between the mirrors. I just need my DH to carry the planter to the back yard, and hang the mirrors!

Comments (27)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Whoo hoo! I totally love them! You're a genius, and a woodworker as well.

• granburyflowergirl
    13 years ago

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

• bobbi_p
    13 years ago

There's a thought: How many of us would prefer a window onto our own garden instead of our neighbors?

Very creative! I like it!

• Vulture61
    13 years ago

Very creative. How about safety? Do you have small kids?

Omar

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

That looks great! I've been thinking of what to do with extra mirrors from a bath remodel.

They would love this on the Garden Junk forum. You can just post your link there so they can see too.

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone. They were so easy. And cheap. There is no way you could buy something like this (if you could find it) for $25! I literally had them both done in under 5 hours with no help whatsoever.

Omar, I am a little worried that they may fall down and break, but hopefully if we get them hung securely that won't be an issue. And there is so much glue on the back that if they do break, there shouldn't be many shards.

• leveta
    13 years ago

Which glue did you use? They are great looking...

• Vulture61
    13 years ago

Awesome. I was thinking that a "gate" could be built using the same principle but I guess that the secure hanging would be a bigger challenge.

Omar

• clairtx
    13 years ago

I need those mirrors to put in my front yard facing my house. I would much rather look at my front yard than acroos the street.

How do you insert a picture into your message? I am proud of what I did to my front yard and would like to share it.
    Thanks

• bobbi_p
    13 years ago

Clairtx,

A lot of us use www.photobucket.com to upload our photos. Then, when you want to share one here, you open the photo on the photobucket website, copy the "html" code line, and paste that into the message here in Gardenweb. When you do the preview message, the photo should appear if you've copied the correct line from Photobucket.

Photobucket is free. You just have to create a username/password.

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think a gate would be a lot harder. I'll think about that one. Maybe I'll do that one next, between the windows.

I used both silicone caulk and liquid nails for mirrors to glue the mirror to a piece of plywood on the back. I just used the caulk to glue the wood to the front of the mirror, since it was rated for outdoor use.

To post pictures, you have to first upload them to a photo sharing site, then copy the text they give you and paste it into a message. There are instructions here on GW.

• clairtx
    13 years ago

Bobbi, thanks for the info about photobucket. Here goes - these are pictures of the new sidewalks and flower beds in my front yard.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Great idea! Looks really neat.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I LOVE IT? Love the walk, the brick borders, the flowers, the pots, the porch decor; all of it. The color of the trim is absolutely awesome! You did good!

I hope everyone clicks on this thread again and sees it.

• granburyflowergirl
    13 years ago

Just beautiful clairtx, great job! Great balance of color. What is the yellow plant along the walk, to the left of the doorway?

• clairtx
    13 years ago

I believe it is a yellow privet.

• Linda Wayman
    13 years ago

That's beautiful. I love that butterfly seat or table. About 10 years ago I saw two butterflies similar to yours at Old Time Pottery. I wanted them so badly. I was in the car and they wouldn't fit. I asked if I could pay for them and come back and get them later and they said no. :( I finished shopping then drove 50 miles home to get the truck, and drove back to get them and they had both been sold. I've been looking for some ever since.

• clairtx
    13 years ago

mscsippy, here is the chair I bought at Walmart online. You cannot find them in the stores. I only see it in white.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0amp;ic=48_0amp;search_query=butterfly+chair&Find.x=19&Find.y=7

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I love it lynnmarie! Does the sun ever hit the mirrors and cause a glare?

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Funny you should ask today. I just finally got them hung up on that wall this morning. Not yet in a photo sharing site, but here is a link to the pic on facebook. No, they don't glare because they are on the north side of the fence, so they don't really get any direct sunlight. At least I don't think they will.

Here is a link that might be useful: installed windows

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

Can you post pics here? I'd love to see. You have to log into facebook with the link you posted, and I don't have a FB acct.

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

From Drop Box

Now you have a before and after. I know I need to fix that board. I've been procrastinating hoping the neighbor would do it since its his fence and his dogs did it... Anyway, another neighbor had some bamboo coming up in her yard, so I dug up some and planted in that pot along with the almost dead grass. If it lives, I think it will look good. Next I hope to plant some seeds of an evergreen vine in the one inch space under the fence so I can have a pretty vine on that fence to kind of frame the mirror and (hopefully) make it look more realistic.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

Thanks! Looks great! I have always wanted to use mirrors in my garden somewhere. Your application here looks very realistic.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Your project turned out great. That really looks like open windows in the fence. I need to find an old window or something to try that with.

• pippi21
    13 years ago

How did you get them to look like the windows were open? Trump 'loile(?)

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, Pippi, i guess that is what it is. I just used a plain piece of trim, and on one side, I made it the exact length of the "window". On the other side, I made it two inches shorter and placed it an inch from the edge. Then on the top and bottom, I angled them, and kept the middle one straight. If you had more time and wanted to be more accurate, you could also sand the open side so it was a little smaller and made the look even more convincing.

• Lynn Marie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yesterday, one of them cracked. :-(

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH