marysouthon
January 19, 2011 in Photo Questions
How did the artists protect the cardboard tubes from moisture in the bathroom, what did they use to attach them to each other, and did they paint the insides of some of the rolls, and if so, what kind of paint?
Lily Gahagan
Hi marysouthon,

There's a tutorial for the project here: http://www.growingupcreative.com/2009/10/eco-kids-craft.html

They did not use anything to protect the tubes from moisture. It does appear that they painted the inside of a few yellow. I think any kind of paint would be fine for this project.
After gluing the composition together, it's hung using pins (the little white dots between the rolls show above).
January 19, 2011 at 10:38am   
marysouthon
Thank you very much! This looks like a creative and fun project. Will let you know how mine turns out.
January 19, 2011 at 10:42am   
Lily Gahagan
Great! Can't wait to see. :)
January 19, 2011 at 11:11am   
Tali Buchler
hi there,
you can spray paint it any color you like, that should also work for the moisture.
thanks for linking back
tali
January 19, 2011 at 1:08pm   
lauren
You can spray semi-gloss polyurethane cardboard to make it water resistant. The cardboard becomes darker than the unprotected image above... but it is a good solution if you want keep "the natural look/integrity of cardboard exposed" and do not want it to deteriorate quickly.

I would suggest using polyutherane even on areas you have spray painted, especially if it is matte. I'll admit I am not a totally fan of glossy things, but it is the best protection.

I design weather resistant handcrafted mailing parcels in my spare and I know from experience.

-lauren
June 20, 2011 at 4:03pm   
lauren
spray semi-gloss polyurethane *on* cardboard
June 20, 2011 at 4:04pm   
Studio Zerbey Architecture + Design
thanks
July 1, 2013 at 4:36pm   
dried flower arrangement
My husband thinks this dried flower arrangement is...
Lighting design combined living and dining area
I am about to install a false ceiling with recessed...
Do stripe pillows look ok?
I am noy sure about pillows. Will appreciate if you...
Can it be done
I bought some outdoor lights and got them home and...