Backsplash with cabinets and countertop that don't line up??
u2tree
So I don't know where to stop or how to end the backsplash because the upper cabinets don't go as far over as the lower counter top. See the pic without the oven. Then just a little further over is the doorway that goes to the garage and the basement. I have three ideas but can't get it in my head what's going to look decent.
1. Stop at the end of the top cabinets and leave the rest to the right wide open.
2. Taper it down somehow from the bottom right of the cabinet to the right corner of the countertop.
3. Go all the way over to the end of the countertop, and go up to the ceiling as well. That would put stainless all the way up the side of the cabinet...

I'm not using tile, I'm using a custom stainless geometric pattern in 12x12 panels.

Any ideas would be great!!!
I would end the backsplash where the cabinet ends. Then I'd move that man in the moon piece that's on the wall so that it's centered on the bare space, and lower it about 10" Or you could place a wine rack or a couple of bookshelves there.
October 21, 2012 at 11:09am   
marcysquad
What about ending the tile backsplash on an angle? Check out this picture in my kitchen.
October 21, 2012 at 11:11am   
I'd prefer a straight ending under the cabinet in the usual fashion.
October 21, 2012 at 11:20am   
Aggie Purvinska
Hmmm, the top cabinets don't seem to be at least 54" off the floor, or 18" off the counter top which is standard. You already have the low splash as well, I don't think I would put a backsplash at all, or run the countertop material as backsplash. Iwould put a 24" wide open white shelf cabinet above the DW. It doesn't make sense that there is no cabinet.
October 21, 2012 at 12:09pm     
Stanton Designs-online design services
I would stop then at the end of the counter top.
October 21, 2012 at 1:12pm   
u2tree
I like the angle idea, I'm always looking for something different. I had a thought time figuring out how to/what angle to use. It's almost 3x as wide as it is high, so a nice 45 won't work unless I come out under the cabinets a little way, then angle it down... That could look good too. The stainless I'm using though has rounded features in it, not so much straight lines, so I wonder about radius-ing the edge or arching it too...
So many possibilities...
Here's a sample of the "tile" I'm going to use.
October 23, 2012 at 2:35pm   
Jenifer Davison
I would add two or three open wall shelves to the right of the upper cabinets (above the dishwasher ) and extend them to end where the countertop ends. Then extend the backsplash to the end of the countertop. It will give you extra display space, not to mention bring balance to that wall!
October 23, 2012 at 5:52pm     
Ecclestone Homes
Exactly what Collins and Dupont said. This is a simple, inexpensive solution that would give a more professional refined look.
October 23, 2012 at 5:55pm   
Arieno Custom Home Design
As a designer, I have come across this situation before. On your kitchen, I would end the backspash on the dishwasher wall at the end of the upper cabinets. Then with the blank wall over the dishwasher, I would do either 3 shelves or a vertical piece of artwork. On the stove wall, go from the left side of the stove to the end of the upper cabinets.
October 23, 2012 at 6:01pm   
Lotus Construction Group
I think the angle Idea will look too forced! I like the stainless tiles if you need them for the purpose of a splash you will want to add a shelf at the height of the uppers for it to die into. if it is purely decoration end them at the cabinet.
October 23, 2012 at 6:16pm   
Collins and Dupont have just the right solution for you. Seek no further! Add shelves and backsplash to end of counter.
October 23, 2012 at 6:33pm     
First Time Homebuyer, Kitchen Painting Dilemma
Our kitchen is open to the dining room which has a...
Paint color for open space rental apartment kitchen walls/cabinets?
I need to paint my dated, ugly rental kitchen. I live...
Need Help Hiring An Interior decorator my New Home-Spring, Texas
Just bought a new home, I need help with selecting...
living/dining makeover
My living/dining room is a mismatched cluttered mess...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...