our new kitchen/family room
kroze
October 21, 2012 in Before & After
It was a mess when we bought the home.... nothing like these pictures. DFW Improved Remodeling did a terrific job.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pharvey
Just beautiful! This would be my dream kitchen!
   October 22, 2012 at 2:41AM
PRO
Dytecture
The curve of the island provide some whimsical flare to the entire kitchen.
1 Like   October 22, 2012 at 5:59AM
kroze
Thank you for that observation. That was actually my creation. It was important to me that the room have a visual flow that carried the eye throughout the entire room. By curving the island, it seemed to accomplish my objective.

Also, by continuing the granite to the fireplace area, it tied the room together.
   October 22, 2012 at 6:19AM
pharvey
Are the cabinets new or did you refinish the existing? We are getting ideas together to remodel our kitchen , this really caught my eye as
the layout is very similar . Is your dining room adjacent to kitchen ?
   November 4, 2012 at 3:42AM
kroze
We refinished existing oak cabinetry and built the island from scratch. The original island was in front of the range, very small and running the opposite direction of the current island. It looked very tacky. There was a breakfast area where we put the nine foot island. This makes the kitchen appear much larger. The dining room is located behind the wall where the range and microwave are. The other end of the kitchen is a small den or family room. I made it look a bit larger by putting a large mirror on one wall with a reclaimed facade of a chinese bed..... heavily carved. It gives the illusion of a doorway into an adjoining room. The coffee table in front of the fireplace is two large sheets of beveled glass with a textile runner in between. The glass rests on two seventeenth century SE Asian porcelain jugs. The glass top is another optical illusion to make the room appear larger than it actually is.

At the time I took the above photos my new den chairs had not yet been delivered. I will try to update the photo soon showing the new seating arrangement.

Our home is on a zero lot line so side windows are restricted on the ground level. There is a very tacky little window above the kitchen sink that is made of glass blocks like you find in bathrooms. When I initially looked at the house it was a BIG turnoff. I told my husband that if we bought that house, the window HAD to go. After buying the home and embarking on the remodeling task, I searched at great lengths for a window replacement that would fit the HOA guidelines. I finally gave up and told the remodeling company to order a customized oak plantation shutter for the window and stain it to match the cabinets. I wanted the wall to "flow" optically and continuing the cabinetry across the window area seemed to work.

The backsplash, sink, faucets, hardware, and granite countertops were all replaced as well as the hardwood floor. Glass was installed in the doors of four cabinets. The cabinet man added the built in cabinets around the refrigerator which made a big difference.

Good luck with your new project.
   November 4, 2012 at 6:02AM
Natalie
Just Beautiful! Refinishing your cabs and adding glass was so wise a choice---Terrific!!!
   November 4, 2012 at 6:11AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Warm and inviting - want to cook a meal here or sit at the island and gab with the cook - Beautiful!
   November 4, 2012 at 6:36AM
kroze
Funny you mention that. I can't stay away from the kitchen these days. I have cooked a freezer full of foods already. :)

I'm having my first party Tuesday night......... election watch!
   November 4, 2012 at 6:39AM
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
Great job! Love the shape of the island top!
   November 5, 2012 at 1:19PM
kroze
Thank you all for your kind words. I appreciate your opinions.
   November 5, 2012 at 1:46PM
PRO
Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
Love the free form island as well!
   November 5, 2012 at 3:05PM
movethisnotthat
very nice !
   November 5, 2012 at 3:08PM
kroze
Just found a "before" photo of this kitchen remodel. Sorry I did't post it earlier.
   January 4, 2013 at 10:03AM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Wow what a transformation! The curved island is so unique.
   January 4, 2013 at 11:08AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I love it. The rounded end of the island is nice. The colors are great together also.
   January 4, 2013 at 11:11AM
kroze
Thank you very much. I am really enjoying it. Since I couldn't change that ugly window I covered it with a shutter and framed it in to tie with the cabinets. I wanted a visual flow along that wall.

As I have recently posted on another discussion, I opted against pendant lights above the island. It makes the room look larger IMO. It has a very airy and open ambiance.

I probably drove my remodeling company crazy, but I got the finished product I wanted. That is the most important thing!
   January 4, 2013 at 11:39AM