Benjamin Moore HC-146 Wedgewood Gray Question
Sharyn
October 21, 2012
Finally, after going thru 100's of paint swatches I have decided upon BM Wedgewood Gray HC-146 (seeing Michael Abrams Limited rooms painted with this color sold me). For a contrast, I also need this color in 2 shades darker - how do I correctly achieve this? Is there a formula I need to ask for? Thanks for your help.
S
bella_pinger
hi
    Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 8:05PM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Hi S, BM or your paint expert should be able to accomplish your request easily. Just know that ”shade” means adding black, ”tone” means adding gray (and just fyi, ”tint” means adding white).
    Bookmark   October 21, 2012 at 8:55PM
Sharyn
Thank you!! I never knew that - very good information for us "DIY"ers.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 8:49AM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Morning, another quick thought: when you get a strip of paint samples from the store, you see what happens when the same color is made lighter or darker. Often this helps you see the paint color's undertones. For example, I'm sure that your search for the perfect grey resulted in seeing many that were too yellow or green or blue, etc which is often easier seen with the darker colors on the paint strip. Happy painting! Get good quality brushes, paint and prep super well.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 9:22AM
Sharyn
@Inside - your right, the swatches offer a lot, I have purchased samples of so many colors that my walls look like a patchwork quilt. Just can't find the darker version of the wedgewood grey for a powder room. I want to avoid using to much of the same color in every room. ( I am redoing my kitchen, formal living room, formal dining room, family room, powder room, and hallway. I'll be painting forever!) Any suggestions for a color pallet? Greys, browns yelllows?? All my trim/cabinets/wainscoting is white. Furniture is cherry, floors throughout are light oak ( I know..lol I cant change the floors til the kids have stopped messing these ones up, they are laminate). Thank YOU!!
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 9:36AM
Sharyn
This is my Inspiration fabric. I will use it for valances and pillows and maybe reupholstering chairs in my dining room.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 9:42AM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Oh, beautiful! Great job pulling that green-blue-gray out of your inspiration fabric. At BM's website you can search on your paint color where you will see how green-blue the darker colors go-definately not what is sounds like you want for the powder room. They also suggest pairing it with Providence Blue or Gray Shower. Regarding your traditional and youthful home, your fabric looks perfect so you might not need to add any more colors. Perhaps let the walls (and maybe even the ceiling) be consistent for your yellow and red based woods plus your crisp white wood elements. You're doing very well!
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 10:11AM
ellenfoti
Sharyn I just love your fabric! Painting my bedroom w hc146 and stumbled on your fabric, would love it for a bedding. May I ask how I can find this fabric, a swatch of the fabric? What brand? Thank you
    Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 9:56AM
Sharyn
I bought this at Joann fabrics. It is a Christopher Lowell fabric. It's called Glacier. I believe you can order a swatch for $3, and also buy online if you don't have this store near you. It would make beautiful bedding!! It can a bit pricy, but I found coupons for 50% off regular price, so that helped a lot.
Also....The BM wedgewood grey I used was shaded with more grey to get a better match to the fabric. I have the formula if you would like it. I also used BM Atmospheric (AF-500) as an accent color to compliment this fabric. Still debating on which brown paint color to coordinate with. Thank you for your interest! Good Luck and let me know how it turns out.
    Bookmark   January 10, 2013 at 10:21AM
What are your favorite Benjamin Moore colors?
I am really looking for a color flow/palette of light,...
Christine R
Painter is coming tomorrow!
Need a great screened in porch FLOOR color to complement...
tribecamom2
Benjamin Moore color combo question
I think I have settled on BM Mayonnaise for the trim...
opphop
Last question on this subject - Do these clash?
I won't ask this again, but do either of these fabrics...
kayanee
Need help with back splash.
I remodeled my kitchen almost 2 years ago and I still...
kerrygallagher
PLEASE HELP
Our new house has all original woodwork and we were...
K Reynolds Kearney
I need a new rug for this room...
Room is about 12.5" x 12.5". I need a rug that will...
Debbie
Help with the Family Room - Decor and Furniture Layout!
Hi everyone! We are new home owners, and I've been...
bubbles0208
need help for painting staircase in the common area of a five stories
Walls are white. Exterior of building is red bricks...
pauleeisner