Coverings for 30 ft window wall with nice view but northern climate

yvonnecmartinOctober 22, 2012
Hi, I have a long window wall in our family/dining room. Right now I have vertical blinds which I like because I can flip them open during the day but shut them at night. We also have cellular shades behind the blinds for sun control during the evening and heat control during the summer and winter. Our style is Scandinavian modern.
yvonnecmartin
The question is, what should I do when I replace them? More vertical blinds? Clearly drapes or even curtains would be too fussy for this room.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 11:36AM
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Are you in process of replacing them soon? Are you planning a renovation?
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 11:39AM
yvonnecmartin
They are getting old so I need to be thinking of what the next step would be. No renovation is planned, just restoration/moderate updating.

I just wonder if vertical blinds are the only solution here.

I should have added that one of the windows is a sliding glass door to the deck.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 11:49AM
Liz Carter
Are these casement windows or are there areas that open/a door? If they are sealed, you might consider using Roll Shades rather than blinds. They provide a clean and simple look that blend well with your modern room. You can get these types of shades in many colors and styles and custom fit to the window bay sizes you have.

Here is an example: http://www.blinds.com/control/product/productID,8284
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 1:45PM
yvonnecmartin
Only one opens as a door--number 4 from the left in the second photo.

Would blinds work with the honeycombs? We added these because the verticals didn't stop all the draft and convection on cold winter nights.

What about wide-slat blinds? Would that be too much horizontal emphasis?
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 2:01PM
Liz Carter
To be clear the door is located between the couch and the table?

Wide slat blinds would work if you want to introduce a horizontal theme to the room. Many of the pieces in your space already have a strong horizontal element such as the back of your couch or the shelves on your entertainment center. The blinds could pick up on these and bring the whole room together if they are kept simple. It would be a lot of horizontal but detailed properly it could work.

You could use these Roller Blinds with the honeycombs if you wanted to as they can be mounted "inside" or "outside" which refers to connecting to either the inside of the window frame or to the wall. If attached to the wall (outside mount) you can keep the honeycomb where it is and use them just as you do now.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 2:14PM
yvonnecmartin
OK. I am thinking wide slat blinds might be my next purchase.

Thanks.
1 Like    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 2:46PM
Fenstermann LLC
Translucent film hangings develop the room into something special, filter the incoming light and control it effectively.

Our collection has over 200 designs and fabrics to choose from, and we ship all over the country.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 2:52PM
yvonnecmartin
Do the translucent film hangings also insulate? How wide are they? How many can stack?
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 8:54PM
Aggie Purvinska
Beautiful Design! I think I would do thin silky, but opaque curtains on a concealed track of the length of the entire wall.

Pictured is a higher ceiling, but the same idea.

Modern Villa - Breakfast Dining · More Info
]
    Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 7:05AM
Fenstermann LLC
Yvonne, any window covering is going to provide minimal insulation. Once the heat/cold has penetrated the glass, it is in your house already. The shades will cut it down a certain percentage, whether its a honeycomb or drape.

The best way to provide adequate insulation , is to stop the heat loss/gain before it penetrates the glass. Windows are responsable for about 20% of the heating/cooling loss. You can see energy.gov for ways to make your home energy efficient.

Another way, other than windows is exterior shutters, they will prevent 95% of heat/cold from getting to your windows in the first place. They can provide additional security, and be operated similar to horizontal blinds, letting in some or no light at all. They are popular in cold weatther climates, such as Europe and Canada.

We provide all of the above. I hope that helps!

Good Luck!
    Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 9:58AM
ct design studio
Check out the vignette series of shades, would keep with the vertical idea but adds some nice texture
http://www.hunterdouglas.com/our-products.jsp?so=tn#/P_59/

They have a lot of other interesting products, you may find something else.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 11:00AM
Just completed a 24' wall of glass which was looking out onto the beach and ocean. Requirements: sun blocking, insulating, privacy. We went with a Hunter Douglas product that is a vertical. There are two separate pieces. The first is the one close to the windows. You can pick the fabric and color. When this is closed (meets in the middle) that is what gives you shade and some privacy. You can still see out to a fairly good degree. Then the second pulls across that. Again you pick the fabric and the color. When that is closed, there is total privacy, no light and insulation. When open each side stacks back to about 10-112 inches. We hung fabric panels to cover the stack back. Came out great. Not cheap but worth every $.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 11:02AM
yvonnecmartin
Thanks everyone for the comments. I certainly have interesting alternatives when the time comes to replace the verticals.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 11:18PM
30 year old "Contemporary" Kitchen Needs Updating. HELP PLEASE!
We have a beautiful contemporary home near Chapel Hill...
dannabanana
How can I soften this wall??
Hello, this leads into my family room and the view...
desigal
Need Help with window treatments for the window wall.
Hi, We just moved into our new house. Have a huge...
sg751
POLL: Do you use window film?
Do you use film on your window to provide sun protection,...
Cover or do not cover? Shade or Drapery?
View windows in the open floor plan. Living in cold...
bobsawa
Family Room
These white boards can, t be removed without ruining...
Maureen Wiest
55 inch between tv unit and sofa. Can this work?
Based on the depth of he tv unit and sofa I want to...
1newstart2014
Marianna Golubenko
What can I do for curb appeal?
It's a ranch in desperate need of some curb appeal....
ajonesgarcia
Blah living/dining room! Solutions?!
This dining room living combination needs a new look! The...
soosun2
Sponsored Products
Lush Decor Ivory 84-inch Luis Curtain Panels (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Amalfi Side Table
Ballard Designs
Levolor Roman Shades: Tweed Rattan & Lemongrass Weaves
Blindsgalore
Allegra Outdoor Patio Pillow in Orange
$19.99 | LexMod
Minka Willow Pointe 13 3/4" High Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Soft-tex Body Pillow - 38520
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Indian Garden Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Cole & Son Palm Leaves Red/Mau Wallpaper (Sample)
$1.00 | Viesso