Is that real barn board on the ceiling? Where do you purchase barn board?
dar3056
October 22, 2012 in Photo Questions
Lake Country Builders
Yes, That is real barn wood. We get all our barn wood from Big Wood Timber Frames, Inc.
bigwood@bigwoodtimberframes.com. Thank you for your inquiry.
October 22, 2012 at 12:39PM   
paradistoou
I am not an architect. simply a homeowner who my husband and i love projects and are about to redo the interior of this home we have . We have just finished a 1,200 sq.ft weekend country home as well. I have just gotten reclaimed Walnut.. 6,000 board feet from woodplanet.com... create sign-in.. look to left column... Look for 'Open OTS = open offers to sell'... scroll down to reclaimed lumber , I also looked in hardwood as well... I live in Arkansas and looked for individuals in states closest to me.( for shipping price purposes).as mileage is key unless you have no limits to how much you want to spend. I dealt with 2 individualds.. Chris Cook from Kentucky... KY.. abbreviations for state will be opposite each OTs listing shown.. His company was "Woodland Vintage Lumber" this will show as well beside the listing as of what company is offering the product for sale.... he will try to get you whatever you want. Also, Chris Vannoy..KY.. Grace mountain something?.. inbox me an email and I can not only send you his information but also some photos he , Mr. chris Vannoy , sent of his AMAZING selection.. at 1.25 a board foot. and that is a STEAL for denailed and end trimmed reclaimed wood... his selection is amazing and I had already purchased my 3,200 board feet of mixed brownboard from a barn loft from woodland Vintage and the 6,000 boardfeet of walnut from Old St. Louis Vintage Lumber. However... Mr. Chris Vannoy has one of the most "gorgeous" and "ample" selections of reclaimed brown , grey and barnwood I had seen and believe me, I checked, double checked and looked at ALL of them., as well as Mr Chris Vannoy specializing in Walnut.. Also, Old St. Louis Vintage Woods in Missouri..( Mo.) --Scott had just gotten some cherry when he shipped my Walnut. my email is paradistoou@yahoo.com and i can send you the contact information for all these individuals.Now we have the process of skip planing and installing but I am in awe of the Walnut..It is simply Gorgeous beyond belief and i also purchased 2 24 foot 15x15 hand hewn walnut beams that are simply Amazing....Kindest Regards, Shona Christy
November 24, 2012 at 8:41PM     
sprattliz
wow...thank you so much for this info. i live in Chester, CT and am having a hard time finding beams and grey barn wood for my walls. this is exactly what I needed.
March 16, 2013 at 8:33AM     
paradistoou
I also got Walnut Beams.. 16" x 16 " and 28 feet long.. hand hewn from OLD ST. LOUIS VINTAGE WOODS.. they were a bit pricey but hand hewn and 100 year old walnut at 2,400 dollars each. but well worth it because they will be used as framework on our addition.. You may want to check with this guy my email is the same as my name here at yahoo.. inbox me and I can send you email if you would like it. He always always seems ot have walnut and or access to it from Amish barns that are being rebuilt. this is where my beams came from. He may have some left. I have pics of my beams as well if you would like to see them.
Also, We did our farm home we have just done in cypress exterior and I know that it weathers grey over time.. However we treat ours every year and spray it to seal it from cracking and winter weathers.. We use spent oil.. from oil change places.. They will charge you 10 dollars for 5 gallons.. use 4 gallons of spent/used--old oil with 1 gallon diesel and liberally spray your exterior wood.. you will think you have messed up.. I have pictures of this process as well but when it soaks in.. It is absolutely gorgeous and the grain is stunning. It also helps to deter any insects and helps through winter months and rain. Cypress is not much on bugs anyway but everything helps and this is a pretty cheap and quite good sealer since it doubles in the insect and snakes do not like diesel either.
July 13, 2013 at 7:18PM   
sprattliz
So $2400 each??? meaning each beam? if so, that is very high.
July 15, 2013 at 8:48AM     
Lake Country Builders
Big Woods ~ bigwood@bigwoodtimberframes.com
July 15, 2013 at 11:21AM     
royhowdy
Do you have any more photos of this house? I really like the style of this room.
July 19, 2013 at 8:44AM   
paradistoou
royhowdy you can click on this photo and it will bring up other photos of this house as well as searching for "reclaimed wood " on houzz.. which is what I did before buying all my walnut. As well as how proud I am of my walnut job so far. and this walnut will be sealed, what we have gotten done so far, this weekend.. Just proud.
July 19, 2013 at 10:38AM     
paradistoou
sprattliz, yes 2400 each but they are hand hewn , reclaimed , 16x16 and already tapered on the ends for being set as we need them at about 100 years old. paying for the age and hand hewn as much as being Walnut to match the wood purchased
.May be high. I actually did not look elsewhere since I bought 6,000 bf of 4/4 rough cut walnut being dismantled form an old Amish barn. Bought the beams that went with it.
July 19, 2013 at 10:43AM     
paradistoou
Also, we are only on the walls as of yet, the cabinets will be refaced to match where I will not have the differential of woods here. Doing all the walls, stairs, and rooms 1st and using what is left for upstairs flooring and all the built ins we have. with all the same load of walnut purchased at one time. Only skip planed and light sanded the Walnut to leave the character of the saw marks. Sealed a few boards by the recently redone fireplace which will be attached but cannot be http://st.houzz.com/simgs/82e2fb1801e9797d_7-5493/home-design.jpgseen as well from drapes
July 19, 2013 at 10:56AM   
Longleaf Lumber Inc
@sprattliz, we are up in Boston and supply beams and barn board - give us a shout if you're ever in the area.
December 30, 2013 at 6:48AM   
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
to dispense or not
We are installing a new countertop, sink and faucet....
help update my kitchen
I want the change the look of my kitchen, including...
I need help with my kitchen final touches!!
I am trying again with photos. Need suggestions for...
Making my bedroom look bigger
I'm trying to redecorate So that I feel there is space...