Need help with fireplace and tv placement. How can I arrange this room?
googles111
October 22, 2012
Hi, I just found this site and love it!! We just bought a house and I'm not sure how to arrange the furniture so the tv will work. I would rather not put it above the fireplace. Also, this furniture in the pic is not mine. We have a sectional but aren't sure what other furniture or to use. We might end up getting a different couch. The room is long, so I think I would have to divide it into different sections. In the first pic of the fireplace, there is a door to the left which leads to the kitchen. The next view of the couch.. if you look to the right there is a door that leads to the hall and the door to the left of the couch leads to the laundry room.

Any help would be great.
Thank you.
In the first picture there is wood on the wall on the right of the FP..in the second picture there is not. Is that the front door with the window door? Your description of the room is confusing. Can you take pictures of all angles? Anyway, if you don't want the tv above the FP, the best place would be the wall opposite, then the sectional wouldn't work well.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 8:04PM
You'll get the best advice with your own furniture in the space and angles taken from the entry in a clockwise direction, shooting from each corner and center of each wall as you move around the room. Be sure to note that you've done that so people get oriented correctly.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 8:20PM
houssaon
It is almost a room with an addition.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 8:24PM
googles111
Sorry for the confusion. This is a house we just bought. I just took pics when we went over there. The first pic is before they redid the wood paneling to the right. They took down that wood. I don't have access to the house now, so I can't get other pictures yet. I was just trying to get an idea before we moved in so I know what I need to buy.. or suggestions people had on ways to arrange furniture...not just the furniture that is pictured. Also, I did take pics in a clockwise direction too. I guess I needed to go a little more to the right. We have an inspector there tomorrow so I will take another picture from that angle. Thanks.

Houssaon, yes it looks like they added on to the living room area to extend it.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 9:20PM
Quest for colour Qualicum
if your furniture is coloured like the furniture and dark framed mirrors and accents shown, I would stain the built-ins a rich dark colour to match the adjacent decor. Doing this will ad a real custom feel, I would then look into getting a thin stone refacing of the brick into something a little more updated but not ultra modern. these two design elements which are not terribly expensive will give this space a truly custom feel that will look so breathtaking you will forget you even have a t.v
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 9:38PM
I think this arrangement is very nice..but instead of the tv on the FP wall, the tv on the wall opposite the FP.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 9:42PM
Quest for colour Qualicum
I think that looks great Darzy ! the only thing I don't care for is the large 4 square art covering up the stone. I would keep the stone work exposed, but if you were going to cover it up then why not use the t.v there.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 9:49PM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Hi G, congrats on your new house! Here's a quick sketch which might help. Perhaps 2 tables/desks at the far end which could be pushed together as a game table. Chairs on casters can be super great. Scroll over image to see in entirety. Have fun playing!
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 9:55PM
Quest for colour Qualicum
@ Darzy... I can see your side and I apologize if it came across offensive. I saw a blank slate and like most men got selective hearing ( or in this case selective reading ) I hope you can accept my apology
and I also hope @googles does decide to give that picture a try i think there is so much potential for a stunning living space with what he/ she has as a starting point.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 10:06PM
Quest for colour Qualicum
"rather not" can easily turn into Oh that works with the new stone work and custom built-ins :)
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 10:10PM
Quest for colour Qualicum
i wouldn't hang a t.v from that style of orange brick either
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 10:11PM
I wouldn't hang a tv on the brick either.
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 10:18PM
Quest for colour Qualicum
@ decdoll thank you!
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 10:24PM
decdoll
: )
    Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 10:34PM
I just had a thought. The "dead" space on the wall (where the wood paneling used to be) may be a great spot for a family desk area for shared laptop,etc. NOT this style for your space, but something like this...

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 10:35PM
googles111
Wow, thanks for all the great feedback everybody!! I like the stone resurfacing idea too. INSIDEOUT.. thanks for the sketch too. That was so nice of you! The sectional I have is like that, except the L shape is on the opposite side and I can't flip it. Would that still work? Just flip the 2 chairs to the other side? Also, when you show the tv, you mean put it in the bookcase? The tv I have won't fit there unless the bookcase is made wider. Oh and also on your drawing, if you look where it says kitchen and hallway, on the wall in between there is a cut out for the kitchen. Like a pass through I guess it's called. Just so people can get an idea of why I can't use that wall. Thanks :-)
    Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 8:22AM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Hi G, it's so fun to do quick puzzles! If you can obtain the width and length of the room plus measure your sectional that would be super!
    Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 9:53AM
googles111
Thanks! I went today and got a couple other measurements. The sectional is 10' 2 " x 7' 2". From the edge of the fireplace to the wall where where couch is now is 16' Total is 16x22 1/2. I did take a couple more pics that might help too. If you look at the pics I first posted, these are all in order with these being the last 2.
    Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 8:47PM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Hi G, great photos, you must be getting very excited to complete the purchase process. Here's the other quick sketch I promised. This is just one option but it does use your existing sectional and puts the TV off of the fireplace wall. ???
    Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 11:45PM
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Scroll over photo to see in entirety.
    Bookmark   Thanked by googles111    October 24, 2012 at 11:49PM
googles111
Thank you! I like this idea. I never thought to put the sofa like that. I appreciate all your help.
    Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 9:41PM
googles111
Hello, this was a year ago I asked for help with this space and I still don't have it all together. lol Anybody have an idea for the windows? I have the wood blinds. Should I do curtains over them or a valance? Not really sure what to do. I just got a cheap window treatment for the door in between for now which isn't in this old photo. To the right I don't have that chair there now, just a chaise lounge. I also don't like the tv to the left, just not sure where else to put it. Any ideas on how to tie it all together? Mostly need help with window treatments. Thanks! Oh and somebody had asked if that door was the front door. No, it leads to the backyard. I am thinking of maybe getting a solid door or eventually a sliding glass door.
    Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 8:59AM
Jon Sims
Googles 111,
Great question about the window treatments. If you want to add timeless elegance to your windows then Norman Woodlore shutters will do the trick. They provide great light control as well as privacy. Another option would be solar shades with cassette. These assist with heat gain, light control, and UV protection while still allowing an uninstructed view to your backyard and pool.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by googles111    November 15, 2013 at 7:41PM
Need help with TV/furniture placement in room with FP and alcoves.
I've read many negative things about mounting flat...
Buyers Remorse
Flat screen television placement
If you put a flat screen television over the fireplace,...
M Shiozaki
sharon4u1
Need help with furniture, tv, and fireplace arrangement in narrow family room
Hello all. I have a new kitchen overlooking a family...
babaloo99
Curtains and roman shades for gold bedroom
I wish to place full beige/gold curtains at each window...
kslouca home owner
Basic wall color for selling home
In preparation to put our house on the market, we will...
szak1812
Spice rack inside pantry door
What should the depth/ width of a pantry door in mm...
shiprag75
Need help for my kitchen
I have this small taupe/grey kitchen and it is little...
Tia Mia
Sitting room lighting
Hi, I'm looking for ideas for lighting for our sitting...
brynna2112