Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie_varga

How to refinish my French provincial bedroom set.

Katie Varga
11 years ago
Hi, I just found this website and I LOVE it. Anyway I just inherited a 60 year or older French provincial bedroom set. I want to change it a bit but still keep the French provincial look with a country flair. Help, how and what do I do? I love the pickling look. Thank you

Comments (27)

• Judy M
    11 years ago
    so many great photos available on this web site. Type "french style dresser" in the search box under "photos" for many ideas.
  • janishill
    11 years ago
    French grey
  • Katie Varga
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you, I really like that.
  • User
    11 years ago
    look at www.anniesloan.com for different ways to paint the furniture.
  • Jan May
    11 years ago
    What a beautiful dresser! Love it. I would keep the white underneath, rub a little wax along some of the edges - and then topcoat in a duck-egg blue, rubbing the edges lightly after where the wax was for a distressed look.
  • Laura Casey
    11 years ago
    I had the same dresser, along with night stands and mirror, it was all painted, in a sage/yellow green with a umber over glaze...loved it.....but even the Provincal gold, with umber over glaze in a red room...or visa versa......this is a WONDERFUL dresser!
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    Agree with patriciarhall to take a look at Annie Sloan chalk paint, both as a great product to use to paint furniture like this and for inspiration ideas from their photos. And I agree with Jan May that a duck-egg blue would be perfect for the dresser, helping to bring it more toward a shabby-chic, country style.
  • pupkit
    11 years ago
    I love the lacey look!
  • Vickie Price
    11 years ago
    ANNIE SLOAN CHALK PAINT, clear wax, then dark wax and a little touch of the gold guilding wax. No priming, no sanding with this paint. It is AWESOME.
  • jwade1085
    11 years ago
    I purchased a similar set, painted mine slightly off white and replaced the knobs with clear glass, I did paint the tops in oil based paint so they would be more durable, the body is the same color paint in latex semi gloss. I have posted my before and after photos.
  • trixiemom
    11 years ago
    CeCe Caldwell paints are awesome, and durable!
  • Sheila
    11 years ago
    Hi paint it black, grey. dark bottom lighter top (less dusting) use the soft furnitings for colour. think toile fabric draps, etc.
  • Sheila
    11 years ago
    Hi paint it black, grey. dark bottom lighter top (less dusting) use the soft furnitings for colour. think toile fabric draps, etc.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Energy House · More Info

A beautiful color that you love...red, yellow, French blue. I just wouldn't use the mirror. Just a little dated. Try something else, in the feel, but not a match.
    Paris Mansion Antiqued Gold Wall Mirror by Two's Company® · More Info
  • PRO
    Stonecoat
    11 years ago
    Shaby Chic is the big thing in Europe at the moment, this means attacking it with wire wool and rubbing back the paint to the wood or undercoat. Very trendy aging the units gives them an antique look and unrenovated theme. http://www.pippajamesoninteriors.co.uk/2011/design-post/a-guide-to-shabby-chic-furniture-painting/
  • PRO
    Mint Design
    11 years ago
    Here are some ideas with paint, decoupage , and chalk paint. Hope they help! You can get some great looks because you piece has great lines! Have fun with it and let us see what you do! :)
  • PRO
    Corinne Madias Real Estate Marketing Kw
    11 years ago
    We have done 3 of these that have turned out great.Distressing is more work. Spray finish with a compressor after a light sanding, search painted furniture for ideas. Gray is awesome. If you paint gray and then sand off some for white to show through then seal the whole thing.
  • PRO
    Corinne Madias Real Estate Marketing Kw
    11 years ago
    love french dresser!!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Maybe you should just "funk" it up for fun! These repro's aren't the real thing anyway, so play a bit!
    Michelle's Master Bedroom. · More Info
  • dcer
    11 years ago
    I love the french gray idea, and chalk paint would take it to another level.
  • Lorraine Aldridge-Ey
    11 years ago
    First check the construction of the drawer heads. My mother-in-law's chest of drawers looks similar but is from the 1960/70s. The drawer heads on her set are plastic not wood.
  • scharonhowe
    9 years ago
    By any chance does anyone know where I can buy stencils to make a chest like the one
    promoting a cacao product?
  • Depo
    9 years ago
    Try royaldesignstudio.com
  • PRO
    Angeline Tellerman
    9 years ago
    Dress it up with some funky hardware!
  • Laura Harris
    9 years ago
    If it is true wood under the paint. I suggest you strip the paint down then stain it in the color you like. This is one way to keep the french provincial look with a natural wood country look.
  • apple_pie_order
    9 years ago
    Post is two years old.