Hang mirror horizontally or vertically?
four_monkeys
I purchased the Eagan mirror from Pottery Barn to hang on my stair landing. The mirror measures 44" x 55" and the beige painted portion of the stair landing measures 89"w x 92"h (almost square). In the picture I have the mirror outline in the horizontal position with it centered on the wall. Which position do you think would look best - horizontal or vertical? Thanks!
Vertical!
6 Likes   October 23, 2012 at 4:20PM
four_monkeys
Thanks! Should I keep the mirror centered or should I raise it so it is not too close to the floor?
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 3:58AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Raise it.
5 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 4:31AM
Cynthia Taylor-Luce
Yep, vertical and raised a bit. This will give you more height in this area that's under the bulkhead which is tending to be squashing it down.
5 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 8:30AM
Chandani
Agree with others- Vertical... I think if you were to go vertical, you can probably leave the bottom where it is now.
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 8:35AM
patti g design
vertical, especially because of the bulkead above
2 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 8:39AM
ruthyo
vertical
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 8:39AM
Jubi Arriola_Headley
What everyone else said. :-)
3 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 8:51AM
Natalie
Either way will work---if vertical then yes raise it. I just wonder what exactly this mirror is to reflect---is there a window or something opposite you wish to emphasize/accentuate? If not then place a narrow shelf underneath and add tall accessories... Good luck!
2 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 8:51AM
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Vertical and I have a paint trick that will also help fool the eye. Carefully paint the bulkhead the same colour as your wall this will visually make it recede. As for the placement I would hang it so the top of the mirror is 80 inches from the floor or 12 inches from the bottom of the bulkhead this will give you a 1/3 (12 inches) wall above and 2/3 (24 inches) wall below for a balanced proportional look.
7 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 8:52AM
pamdietz
Vertical, elevated and move it off center--far more interesting.
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 9:05AM
four_monkeys
Thanks for all of the advice! This mirror is really heavy, so I need to get it right the first time as it will be a pain to re-hang.
I am trying to add more light to the stairwell, and at the top of the stairs there is a small loft area with a skylight, which makes the loft area really bright during the day. So I am hoping to reflect some of that light onto the stair landing.
I will hang it vertical, move it higher and paint the bulkhead. Here is a picture of the outline in the vertical layout:
10 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 9:55AM
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Please go to Capel rugs link to see all kinds you can buy locally I like this style and tone/colour if you go for patterned chairs and cushions but there are similar that might appeal to your tastes more. Have fun!
http://www.capelrugs.com/moor-bisque-rugs
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 10:16AM
pollyb1942
I guess you already have your mirror, but have you thot about plate glass mirror on the entire wall? Would do wonders for adding light and expanding space.
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 10:20AM
NexTrend Design
Having it centered creates some visual interest no matter where you're standing. I also like pam's idea of going off center, which would allow room for some floating shelves on one side with a few accessories or..... In the photos below, I made a tall slender green arrangement in the corner of the landing to add interest, which would look good in your case as well, regardless of the mirror being in the center or off center. The soft turquoise colors complemented the little chair vignette in the entryway.
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 4:33PM
NexTrend Design
Colors of vase & arrangement complement the chair vignette in entryway...
(scroll over photo to enlarge)
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 4:37PM
anitajoyce
vertical! If someone is looking in it , they may want to see more of themselves in it, from head to toe.
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 4:43PM
S&K Interiors
Horizontal
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 5:34PM
Holly Murphy
Vertical, and raised, as this area of your home needs height, not width....:) Beautiful place btw...
4 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 6:17PM
Cyndee Banister
I would hang it vertical as the space has a low ceiling, and this would give height to the wall.
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 6:23PM
Jennifer Brooke
Definitely vertically. Also, I believe it will look more dynamic if it's raise up off the "center line" a bit. It would be more visible that way and keep the eye moving upward.
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 6:27PM
Michelle B├ęchard-Lalonde
Definitely, you should hang it vertically!
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 6:30PM
Crystal Wall
Vertically with sconces on either side. :)
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 6:30PM
Heather Cleveland Design
Vertical and raised a bit, but not too much!
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 6:34PM
kmgwhite
If you go horizontal, definitely paint the bulkhead the same color as the wall and raise the mirror. If go go vertical, leave it as is in the picture. I think that going horizontal somehow seems friendlier, while vertical is more formal... If you go vertical, plants would look great on either side...Horizontal, place a shelf underneath. I don't think you can go wrong either way.
1 Like   October 24, 2012 at 6:36PM
Susan Gahagan
Neither. Mirrors on stairways is confusing....and I think dangerous. The area needs some color and/or texture anyhow. Consider a painting or photograph instead.
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 7:04PM
vsegura
I love that mirror, and have the less expensive version. You should hang it vertically, maybe add candle sconces on either side, and if you really want to make a statement a narrow console table beneath it, to greet people as they get to the landing!
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 8:10PM
room4design
VERTICAL!!!!
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 8:14PM
cocoabama
Horizonal - creates an illusion that you are going toward an object/cuts the sharpness of staircase - bring the mirror up - too close to floor!
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 8:18PM
PHDesign Interiors
Vertical.
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 8:25PM
norabeylerian
Vertically looks good on the wall but horizontally will look good weather you're coming up or down the stairs.
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 8:26PM
Lavender
mirror hung vertical slightly higher just like you place a print with the mat bigger on th bottom and (sorry to those that suggessted it) no do daws...like consoles, shelves or other accidents waiting to happen on such a small landing.
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 9:33PM
shannanwithana
Vertical
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 9:45PM
Affordable Staging Solutions
So many great ideas. Vertical on center so you could add sconces later if you wanted, and painting the bulkhead the same color as the walls was also a wonderful idea!
0 Likes   October 24, 2012 at 9:55PM
nancycrane
Vertical...the pic shown with the tape makes it look too boxy and the walls are boxy enough.
0 Likes   October 25, 2012 at 5:21AM
shirleybird
Paint the bulkhead same as the wall color, hang the mirror vertical as you have sown taped off.Live with it for a while like that because I'm not so sure you will need any doo dads around it either.
0 Likes   October 25, 2012 at 6:01AM
mrskk
Horizontal, for sure - but slightly higher.
0 Likes   October 25, 2012 at 6:09AM
christyhennessey
Vertical and raised. It is a great mirror!
0 Likes   October 25, 2012 at 6:30AM
Maggie Holbrook
Vertical for sure. It is a walkway and it makes sense to see a full body. it elongates the space too. love the mirror!
0 Likes   October 25, 2012 at 9:41AM
mrskk
Curious...what did you end up doing with the mirror?
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 3:18PM
four_monkeys
Thanks for everyones comments! I ended up hanging the mirror vertically and raising it higher. Also, as suggested, I plan to paint the bulkhead the same "latte" color as the walls in order to make it recede. Here is an "in progress" picture (side note: this picture was taken during the day so the wall color appears much lighter). I will post another picture once the bulkhead is painted. :) Thanks again! (scroll over picture for full image)
1 Like   March 23, 2013 at 1:17PM
Laura Hinrichsen
Oh, good. I was worried you didn't know to paint the vertical face of the bulkhead, it's a great staircase and that was ruining everythibg else visually. Then i finally got to your last comment and felt SO relieved.
0 Likes   September 2, 2014 at 12:04AM
Buyers remorse or OCD? New house, new stuff, no clue!
We just moved into our new custom home and I can't...
Kitchen layout
I am working on designing a kitchen and looking for...
Hallway Help!
Blank canvas new house - we need ideas for our entry/hallway!...
Paint color suggestions?
We are using the attached carpet in our unfinished...
Do you mind mirrors in the dining room?
[houzz=http://www.houzz.com/photos/1124199/Vintage-Nouveau-Home-eclectic-dining-room-los-angeles] This...