Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audrajean_1

Having kitchen counter top crisis. :)

audrajean_1
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We have built our house ourselves. We are finishing it up, after 61/2 long years of working on it. I am spazzing about the kitchen countertops though. Need Help SOON, hubby wants me to order tomorrow. :(
Our main stretch of counter is 16' long. We want to use formica (most affordable for us.) The longest stretch we can get is 12' long. So, that means we have a sink in the middle, corners seams on both sides, and then A SEAM 4' FROM THE CORNER. I am not a very visually gifted person, but I imagine this as an eyesore! I have googled for days and can't come up with ANYTHING. I don't guess anyone else has this exact problem in all of the web world!!!! aaagghhh
We have considered putting a butcher block section in where we will have to seam the formica together and try to make it look like an intentional break in counter top. Please any and all help would be great.
Also, I didn't realize it (I'm not a fashionable type, I am a country girl that feels pretty special having this beautiful home with gorgeous cabinets, etc. to move into soon.), but I realized tonight that it is "super uncool" to have my formica back splash to roll up in the back and be one piece? I think of this as super functional and don't understand why it's considered dated and ugly? Any help? Not sure what to do about that part now as well.... like I needed one more problem with the counter. My husband looked at me like, "are you kidding? Why does that bother you?" Well, because we went with a beautiful rich dark stain for our trim and cabinet color, have stained concrete floors, and EVERYTHING in magazines and in the blog world that is considered updated and nice is white cabinets, gray walls, and granite. I already feel like I just realized that my taste are evidently time warped.... I hate for my counters to be totally cheezy as well.... I just love warmth and cozy. I guess I have a tuscan style taste.... I hope someone will respond with some ideas or links! Thank you. Audrey
audrajean_1@yahoo.com

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Stoneshop
    11 years ago
    Hi Audrey,

We do not install Formica, but we always try to (when possible) install seams at the sink. This way, you only end up seeing about 4 inches of seam instead of 26. I would assume that you can do this with Formica as well?

Do not think that your taste is warped! Yes, the trend now is all white kitchens, but we don't always have to follow the trends, right? :) Plus, your kitchen will conceal dust and dirt--an all white kitchen can't do that.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    Enjoy your new kitchen! Sixteen feet plus is wonderful.

Is any of this 16 feet opposite to a stove or oven where it would make sense to have some tiles or stainless steel as a landing spot? I have stainless opposite my ovens (it covers a built-in grill) that I love because hot pans can go right on it. Another thought is to make a baking corner with a piece of granite for rolling out cookies or pie crust or for kneading bread. Put your mixer and spice rack there and enjoy! A third idea is to add butcher block next to the sink with the idea that this is where you will cut meat and vegetables. This would mean that you wouldn't have to struggle with cutting boards to protect your nice counter top. If you have a garbage disposal, it should go on this side of the sink also.
  • User
    11 years ago
    You would have to seam granite as well, the only material that appears seamless (using a special glue) is Corian, but it' s very expensive. If you pick a very simple pattern Formica (they have a great collection now, no more fake granites, they have soapstone look, ribbed wood, you name it. I personally love the Formica tops and backsplash and I have seen all kinds of designs and worked on everything from Marble to paper stone to glass. If you do butcher block inserts, which I think is a great idea, place them where you really need them, don't worry about the seams, on a dark soapstone Formica, (for example), you won't even notice it.
  • Elaine Mular
    11 years ago
    Have you heard of Granite Transformations? Much cheaper than stone or acrylic, maybe closer in price to laminex or formica I think and they ca do it with no seams as far as I understand, although I could be wrong. Maybe you have something like that in your area?
  • Elaine Mular
    11 years ago
    Here's a link to the one in Australia: http://granitetransformations.com.au/
  • audrajean_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love all of the input. Thank you all. Maybe, if you could answer a couple of questions that the ideas bring up.
    I had thought of putting seam in middle of sink. But, I am concerned with the water that the front and back of a sink is usually subjected too. Since there is wood underneath the laminate top, I was afraid it would eventually begin to swell, etc.
    I had considered pulling the formica to within a few inches of the sink on both sides and then tiling around the sink and up the wall for a back splash. The only example of this I have seen looked "cheap", but it could have been because of the actual materials they used to make the display in the "surplus store" we were looking at. ???
    We considered wooden counters.... We have a very active home, with six children and lots of fun, rambunctious entertaining.... Wood seems impractical and I worry over the stain, water issues once again.
    I love the idea of the butcher block working area, but it wouldn't be opposite the stove, but more to the side. Our kitchen is a U shape. Long run of counter with sink in middle. the right side has fridge in the middle. The left side has the stove. So, I was thinking of the butcher block area on the sink side of the U, but more to the left, close to the stove. That is where I could put the mixer, etc. Perfect work area. The main concern was this, would it be a negative visual break up of the long counter, maybe that would feel unbalanced.
    Oh, and a huge island in the middle of the kitchen with stools, microwave cabinet, and cookbook shelves.
  • audrajean_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Elaine, I went to Lowe's to get a quote on the formica tops in a couple of different colors/styles. So, I will check into the granite transformations. thanks
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    We need to see a plan of your kitchen to be able to give more advice.
  • audrajean_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I completely agree Yvonne! I was just reading other advice on the site and it hit me, I have got to show all of these brilliant minds my kitchen and ideas! Since I am actually waiting on quotes anyway, the heat is off for a few more hours! ;-) I will work on this ASAP. Thanks again ALL!
  • audrajean_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    These aren't the best pictures. But, hopefully this will help. Thanks
  • audrajean_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    1st photo:
    This is the kitchen. Island will be added later. Center of windows will be the sink. To the right of the sink is the dishwasher spot. The corner to the far right I want to have as my "coffee station".
    To the left side of the sink after it corners, there is a hole for my stove.
  • audrajean_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    next photo: I placed a piece of wood where the 12' mark would be. The spot where a formica seam would be. This is where the idea of a butcher block could be? I could make it as big as the set of cabinets underneath? Or would that be too terribly big? Would that be an eyesore to have a butcher block break up the counter right in the middle? Would I regret it in a year? Hmmm, so many questions... :-)
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    Which is the sixteen foot counter-top?
  • audrajean_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    one more pic.
    this shows the stove spot in relation to the possible "work area" to the right.
    Y'all be honest, because I am not good at this kind of thing!
  • audrajean_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    oops, my last pic didn't post. I'll try again.
    Sorry I wasn't specific enough.
    The 16' counter is in front of the window. The sink will be in it, it covers the dishwasher.
    The logical answer is putting it in the middle of the sink, but I worried about the water wear and tear on the seam... swelling, etc.
  • audrajean_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    stove looks like this.
  • audrajean_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    ccwaters,
    I am sorry I am just now replying to your post. It was so kind of you to comment and you were very helpful. I was so excited when I first read your post because I thought, "well duh!" there is the answer! BUT, the thought on how to set up my counter without the extra seam didn't work out because my hubby is set on ordering with the backsplash. It wasn't going to have continuity all the way to the corners. It would have been backsplash, to the seam and then an end cap type look. So, anyway, we finally ordered yesterday. I went to Lowe's and happened upon a display with an unusually placed seam though and you know what? I barely even noticed the little booger. So, I feel much better. I am excited! I can't wait to get this finished. So, I can start driving you all crazy with window treatment questions next! haha
    Thanks everyone for your help and thoughts. :-)
  • PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    11 years ago
    Because your top turns two corners it will have to be a custom made laminate (Formica is one brand) top. Because post form (pre-made) tops won't work, the front edge won't be rounded but square or beveled. The good news is that the seam will not really be very noticeable if the top is custom made. However around here if you chose a beveled edge laminate top the cost of your top would end up being very similar to the price of a granite top.

It looks like you have around 60 square feet of tops so the least expensive level 1 granite tops will be around $2300. The template, and installation of the top and undermount sink will be included in the price of the granite top. Templating, delivery, seaming, field seaming, and sales tax are all added to the price of a laminate top and the top and the sink will still need to be installed.

If you go square edge for the top it will probably be half the price of the granite. But if you up grade to a beveled edge top or a wood edged top it's so close to the cost of granite, I would splurge instead and get a granite top. It will last forever.

One warning, I definitely would not try to use round edge post form tops on this top. They will come out not fitting and get water damaged very quickly.