Need help with room setup!
latoya_mcfadden
Trying to decide on furniture setup in this living room/dining room combo. I want to make the 2 rooms appear as seperate and not the same room. Any ideas???
janishill
What a lovely space! Which side will be the dining room? I hope this side and the living room will be the one with all the gorgeous windows!

What is your decorating style? If you don't know you can easily find out by taking a quick test or two: http://www.bhg.com/decorating/decorating-style/quiz/?ordersrc=google1decoratingstyle_app&s_kwcid=TC|5599|find%20your%20decorating%20style||S|p|7295501818

Or here: http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/decorating/decorating-style-quiz-00000000030420/index.html

And 1 more for good measure: http://interiordec.about.com/cs/homedecarticles/l/blgenq001a.htm

Once you have that figured out let us know, so when you do get advice, it will be advice you can use! :-)
October 24, 2012 at 7:23PM   
You certainly have a head start on making the two spaces look separate since those two half walls with columns seem to split the spaces nicely. Congratulations on your beautiful new home. Do you have a floor plan of the house with dimensions so we could further address your furniture layout? Even a sketch with dimensions would be helpful. Many thanks.
October 24, 2012 at 7:26PM   
S&K Interiors
Beautiful space. I would not worry that they look like one room because it does not appear that way to me from your photos. If you are still concerned, you could paint them different colors from your colored scheme.
October 24, 2012 at 7:27PM   
Aggie Purvinska
Lovely home! Once you have furniture, they will not look the same at all, a dining table with chairs under the chandelier, a credenza with a mirror and lamps or candles to the right other side can have a serving sideboard with two extra chairs.

Living Room, a Sofa Facing the Entry, Two Comfy Chairs facing the bay window, two benches on the window side, three side tables, two lamps a floor lamp in the window, coffee table in the middle, Floor to ceiling curtains on ample long curtain rods, pushed to the sides sheer curtains in the middle.

Some Picks for what to look for when shopping:

[houzz=Maxwell Dining Table]

[houzz=Dolce Upholstered Accent Arm Chair, Trellis]

[houzz=Reflections Mirrored 3-Piece Cabinet]

[houzz=Loft Round Mirror]

[houzz=Everett Upholstered Chair]

[houzz=Abbott Sofa]

[houzz=Smart Glass Top Coffee Table]

[houzz=Brock Wood Side Table by Arteriors Home]

[houzz=Eastwood Adjustable Wood Lamp By Arteriors Home]

[houzz=Waverly Olana Oxf Onyx Fabric]

[houzz=Bottlecap Green 18"x12" Pillow CB2]
October 24, 2012 at 7:43PM   
latoya_mcfadden
Thanks ladies. The space is kind of awkward. I did paint the column completely white. I was thinking a bench or some seating near the window and yes the window is the living room. The dining room has two windows with a space in between. On the outside of the window area, I was thinking of some drapery that will close out the space and make it a reading area or add two accent chairs with a table in between with no drapery. My style is traditional modern. I attached an image of the layout. I wanted something different and the walls definitely need to be painted. The cream is killing me. LOL. I am in love with neutral colors such as greys, creams, and tan.

Any ideas on a layout will help me pick out a sofa and I wanted to change the chandelier as well. But if I paint the two rooms different colors, how do I seperate with walls adjoining between the two? Thats my confusion.

The second picture is a design I thought about mimicking but the space where the two chairs are located is the entry into the room. However I love the layout and colors. The 3rd picture is the idea I had with a bench but the price to build a bench or have someone complete is so expensive and I was trying to create a nice area for sitting and reading a book.
October 24, 2012 at 7:45PM     
I think you're better off without a window seat since you can place two chairs in theat area with a table between them, just as you mentioned. If the space is too skinny for both the chairs and the table, then put a big table in the bay area with the chairs slightly out from the bay and angled toward the table.

Place a sofa along the long wall of the living room, with a large rectangular (or other shape) coffee table in front of it. Since you have a family room, the living room will probably not have a TV. And that's good because there doesn't seem to be a likely spot for it. Add another chair at far end of sofa, facing the bay window. On the wall opposite the small window in the living room, you could place a bookcase or a small desk. I'd keep the sofa and chairs fairly neutral and add an area rug, pillows and artwork for color.
October 24, 2012 at 7:58PM     
latoya_mcfadden
Carolyn you are the best!! Know if you can just come and help that would be nice as well. Here is the sofa I like. Can you suggest some accent chairs? I also refinished a table that I plan on using in the area but wasnt sure if I was putting too much grey. I want grey walls, luv silver, a will have a grey sofa. What kind of fabric or print on accent chairs would be a good choice?
October 24, 2012 at 8:13PM     
vsegura
your house is gorgeous, congrats!
October 24, 2012 at 8:22PM     
janishill
LaToya...is there a man in the house? The reason I ask is if so it needs to be a his/hers space. If not then I would go with colors from the picture you loved; pink chairs and drapes, etc. with dove gray walls.

Or you could do your dining room similar to this one (see photo) and use a dove grey print to cover the chairs that will go into the bay area.
October 24, 2012 at 9:16PM     
Mint Design
Congratulations on your lovely home! I see your concern where the two rooms join. I suggest you fill in the space between the columns and the walls with enclosed cabinets from floor to ceiling. I recommend the top have glass doors and the bottom a paneled door. They can store china or beautiful objects on the dining side and you can hang art or lovely plates or long mirrors for reflection on the living room side. You can paint the entire columns white or have them marbleized with white or black bases and capitals. This way there is no doubt these are 2 entirely separate rooms and you pick up built-in storage as well! Consider using glass shelves and having the interiors lit and upholster the back and sides for some added elegance.....the photos you like indicate you like an elegant touch....am I right?
I love the window seat....again extra storage if you hinge the seats or have touch latch doors or drawers under the seat.
If there is no door between the dining room and kitchen consider adding a swinging door with a kickplate....a porthole is also nice so people don;t knock each other down, but not as elegant.
I am attaching 2 photos to give you an idea of the cabinetry....while there are not columns in these examples, I think they will convey what I am recommending.
BTW check estate sales, consignment and good thrift stores for good pieces that you can refinish or reupholster to your liking.....much of the older pieces are made much better than most of the new. I hope this helps! Enjoy!
October 24, 2012 at 10:40PM     
Latoya, do you already have the gray sofa? Your gray and white room will be beautiful. With a gray sofa and gray walls (wonderful!), a pair of white chairs in the bay window would be lovely. I like the style of the blue chair below, and it would look great in white. The third chair could also be white or pink or yellow or whatever color you like. It could be covered in a geometric pattern or an animal motif.

If it is white and not a color, then you'll need to select an accent color and use that in some pillows, a rug and artwork. In fact, it would be good to have a couple of accent colors, such as pink and lavender with silver accents, or black and white with silver.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Sweep Upholstered Armchair "Sunflower Zebra" Chair Bergen Street Residence
October 25, 2012 at 6:28AM     
Aggie Purvinska
Latoya! OMG your inspiration photos are to die for.

This is a layout that would work, but maybe we need to opt for lower back chairs since I am putting them in the window. Let me know what you think.

So basically Dining room Console is at the end of the room in front of curtains with (2) Lamps and a Mirror Above. Art on both sides of the room, 48x72 table seats (6).

Living is sofa, (2) Chairs, (2) Benches that can scoot under coffee table, (3) Side Tables, (3) Lamps, A Dry Bar (by Dining Wall), Art Above Sofa, and I was thinking the leaning mirror next to sofa in the corner for balance!

Sorry I didn't see Carolyn already put the chairs in the window. I agree!!
October 25, 2012 at 6:32AM     
latoya_mcfadden
Okay. Houzz is the best. Carolyn I think you are psychic because I told my mom this weekend my colors were grey, yellow goldish color, and a teal or light blue. I am making some burlap pillows stenciled with black leaves. I bought some blue pillows this weekend. I haven't purchased the sofa yet but want it to go to Macy's to see first before purchasing. Accent chairs I wanted to find at an estate sale or find a nice settee for the area by the window but I like the two accent chairs instead. You ladies are wonderful.

Aggie, I luv the layout!! Also, I am going to school starting in January for interior design because I have a love for it so this is exciting to me. You all are wonderful designers and have shown me some wonderful techniques to get the job done. I will be sure to post some pics afterwards.

As far as the paint, I chose a studio taupe for the color and it is a pretty grey but not sure. The ceiling will be painted white with molding. I bought the home as a builder closeout and some things didnt come with it. These ideas are fabulous. Probably will be back for more opinions.
October 25, 2012 at 7:05AM     
latoya_mcfadden
Also, Janis, the pics are soooooooo lovely! I thought about the round table. Luv the wall colors. And nooooo, I'm single. No man here yet. LOL. Luv the pink. Pink is a wonderful color as well. Not sure how my son will react to those colors though.
October 25, 2012 at 7:11AM     
Aggie Purvinska
You are going to ROCK the Interior Design School!
October 25, 2012 at 7:21AM     
We will look forward to hearing from you again, Latoya!
Carolyn
October 25, 2012 at 8:23AM     
Need help setup L shaped living room
I am unable to understand how to place furniture and...
Need help with living room setup
Here is our living room. We just painted and now are...
Living room furniture setup help needed
We will be moving into our new house soon and I am...
Need help for TV set-up in family room
Just moved into new house and there is this funky nook...
My husband wants too large a TV for our family room!
We have 14' so I figure 8' is the back of the sofa...
Front door color suggestions please!
I am considering painting the side lights and trim...
Help with ground floor reno- guy who wants to show his wife he cares
I need help- I really want to help my wife and provide...
Laundry or mud room??
I have a Laundry/mud room about the size of those narrow...