Need advice on pairing tile and marble countertop color tone...thanks!
tskn
I am choosing floor tile for the kitchen and I've chosen a cement color tile for a more modern look. The tile retailer suggested that my existing warmer color granite countertop doesn't go with the cooler gray of the tile. Any advice?
Stoneshop
The tile salesperson is correct. There are, however, warmer gray tones if you still like gray. If you cannot find a gray that you like, try a creamy beige tile.
October 26, 2012 at 10:30am     
fife2
I agree - this is going to end up looking vague, bluish and not at all warm. Did you know - that BLUE is the least appetizing color for a kitchen and does not inspire folks to want to eat?

What about WOOD? Have you considered a modern-looking Bamboo Floor? Environmentally sustainable, very clean edged - and comes in any color you desire? Personally, I would choose the warmest tone in the countertops for the floor tile - once it is sealed and done - it will not make the space too dark. Is this a large room? Are your cabinets wood - dark - all of this will make a difference.

Can you please post some pictures of your WHOLE kitchen? I think this tile is going to make your kitchen look upside down. The floor should never be lighter than the ceilings and the walls - it is visually confusing. The floor should ground the room - this is how the brain actually decides to see things - physiologically - and the physcial process of seeing would determine it is upside down if the darker is on the top and the floor is lighter than the surroundings. Kind of like flies NOT seeing a blue ceiling on a porch - it is a cue there is no place to land.

;-)
October 26, 2012 at 11:08am   
laurahahe
Tile salesperson is right. They clash. Choose what you want to keep, the countertop or the floor and change the other.
October 26, 2012 at 11:36am   
tskn
Thanks for your comments. Here is a pic of then entire kitchen. We will be keeping the countertops and cabinets, and painting the walls white. I definitely want to stick with tile rather than wood, but want to make the kitchen a bit more modern. What do you think of the new tile choice shown.
October 26, 2012 at 3:49pm   
Stoneshop
This choice is much better--definately warmer than the previous gray. I like that it has a small range of color variation as well. It would like nice installed in your kitchen, and it will certainly modernize the space a little.
October 27, 2012 at 7:36am   
jacksonbeth
one of the first things I would suggest is to bring home a few tile samples and then match it up to some marble samples. Look at it in the room you plan on remodeling for a few days and see how you like it. There are a lot of photos at http://carolinashomestone.com that show tile with marble -- maybe look around online for some ideas too?
April 29, 2013 at 4:28pm   
Thos. Baker
The strongest colors in your counters (as far as I can tell from the photo) are yellow and green. There are specks of blues and purples, but they're not predominant enough to carry gray tile with blue hues. Gray tile with green hues would tie the floor in better.

Consider the example of gray shades in the photo below. Let's say you're leaning toward Storm Gray, (blue hues) when you need to go in the direction of Mitte or Avila (green hues.) You're still doing gray, but it's a more complimentary gray.

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
February 7, 2014 at 11:55am