Need help in replacing my vintage Fabulous 400 Tappan Gas Range!
barbarajjohnson
October 27, 2012
I still love my stove but it is wearing out. It is 40 inches wide and 69 inches high and just fits under the built in cabinets. The unit below stores all my pots and pans, so I will need to figure out where to put them. I will likely purchase a 30-inch stove, so there will be 10 inches of space to deal with. I do have a lazy susan in the nearby cupboard which currently is full of canned goods. I am interested in replacing the counter tops also. I will appreciate your suggestions.
After you replace your range, the simplest way to cover the extra 10" would be to place a low bookcase to the right of the new range, with the opening facing out. You can store your cookbooks and small appliances (like your mixer, toaster, etc.) on the shelves which will free up some counterspace.

For countertops, what do you like? Granite, marble, ceramic tile, the choices are endless!
1 Like    Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 4:28AM
barbarajjohnson
The bookcase sounds like an easy solution. Thanks for your input!
BarbaraJ
    Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 5:58AM
ratswithhooves
Wow.we had one of those tappers. Absolutely loved it
    Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 7:04AM
You're welcome, Barbara. We have a great name, don't we? They even named a doll after us!
    Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 7:47AM
barbarajjohnson
Whatever happened to your tapper, ratswithhooves? I really don't want to part with mine . . .
    Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 8:00AM
rufuslele
Gd
    Bookmark   October 27, 2012 at 1:45PM
ericjamesm
Be sure not to just throw away your oven! They are worth a lot. I just bought replacement parts on eBay for a premium for ours
    Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 8:32AM
barbarajjohnson
Thanks for the advice. I have had a problem recently with the oven smoking up as if something had overflowed while baking. But nothing had overflowed, but there is a greasy residue on the oven floor. I can't figue out where the grease is coming from. Any clues for me? I would appreciate some insight if you have any!.
    Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 4:24PM
Johan Ohrvik
Hi Barbarajjohnson if you decided to throw the stove out ??
I am in need of the rangehood top for mine also min is missing broiler pan and rotiserie set and manual Do you still have the stove ??
My email is citroencxpallas@live.no please contact me Sincearly Johan
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 9:01AM
barbarajjohnson
Your stove looks fabulous in your kitchen! My stove is equipped with a fan that looks like yours--not a rangehood top, as you describe it. I do have a broiler pan and have not really used the rotiserie set (still have it, however), and I do have the manual. I am still using the stove. As long as it works, I will probably keep it. I am very fond of it. I have seen parts available on ebay. I have been warned not to throw it out because it still has value to some people--but connecting is the challenge. I live in Iowa. Your email address as printed did not work. Thanks for your comment. bjj
    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 12:10PM
HI -- Tappen stoves where the best and maybe you should have it restored . If you opt for a new 30 inch range then you could add a 9 inch cabinet with a pull out for the spices and oils etc. If you go with a cook top then you will need a spot for a wall oven and the pots and pans can go in pot drawers under the cook top. I think you should see if and how much it would be to have the stove restored if you love it that much .
1 Like    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:41PM
JWinteriors
Install microwave and 12" cabinet above new stove. Love the book shelf idea..or a bank of drawers. You might have more space due to the overhang of your old countertop.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:55PM
William Roy Designer Kitchens
If your not planning on re-doing the entire kitchen and want to make it look the best possible you might consider this: Replace the counter top over the lazy susan only leaving a full 48" wide open. I'd remove the cabinets above the range so I could create a feature look of a "Cook Center." Tile the wall all the way up and put a cool hood above the range. Could be nice for a low price if done right.
Attached picture is of a kitchen I designed using a down draft so no hood above but tile feature.
2nd image is of another kitchen where we built a hood out of plywood and finished it, turned out nice.
1 Like    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:56PM
Ironwood Builders
Tappans are still popular and restorable...fairly obvious from the posters looking to salvage parts from you! If you love it, get an appliance repair person out to troubleshoot the burning grease issue. It is a lot more green for a lot less green than a new range!
2 Likes    Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 5:29PM
barbarajjohnson
Thank you all for your input. I like the idea of restoring the stove. The oven is working fine again. Lots of ideas to consider. bjj
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 8:15AM
Johan Ohrvik
I must say that i have a special Tappan Story !! My Boy friend is a chef and I am just a hobby chef
I love cooking every day and I love to entertain French cuisine is my specialty,
I love thoes stoves by design and I love what i hear about them I recently purchased this on the Ebay
So Its not my kitchen but I wish it was I live in Norway and just waiting for the thing to arrive I am going to build a new kitchen around This beauty I think it will be the only one in Norway!:-))
The stove i bought dont have the broiler pan or the rotiserie or manual.
Maybe you would not mind making copy of yours and send it to me I pay what you want !!
Offcourse I agree with the other here on the forum have it restored I bet that burning fat is comming from oven ventilation or maybet it found a way from the fan down into your oven.
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 11:54AM
barbarajjohnson
I think you are right about the burning fat in the oven. It has disappeared. Send your email address again. The first one did not work. It is amazing that you are having a Tappan sent to Norway! I am 100 percent Norwegian, with both sets of grandparents being born in Norway. bjj
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 1:06PM
Johan Ohrvik
Barbara Please keep your stove gass valves and burners are easy to restore and repair comparing to the not soo lucky owners of Stoves like Ours with electric burners and failing oven elements.
Restore back to its glory if i was there I would help you as a Meacninc with electric skills.
Here is my other email adress write me here please I would love if you could make a copy of the manual for the stove here is another picture of this fabulous Stove also in Gas version
Take Care, and happy cooking :-)))
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 1:15PM
Johan Ohrvik
Ooh my good its a small world we live in If u ever comes to Norway you will have to pay me a visit.-))
If you decide that ure never going to uset that rotiserie you know someone who would use it at lest once a week .-)))
Do you speak any Norweigan
I am actually half Norweigan and half Swedish I grew up in Sweden and I moved to Norway 15 years agoo My Father is Norweigan and my Mother was Swedish.
NIce
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 1:26PM
barbarajjohnson
Johan, you forgot to include the email address. BJJ
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 3:09PM
barbarajjohnson
I have 14 pages of installation instructions for the Gas 400 Series Tappan Gas Ranges that I could copy for you, but perhaps you will receive similar instructions with your stove. The manual itself would be harder to copy. A lot of it is recipes. To answser your question, sorry, I do not speak Norwegian at all. bjj
    Bookmark   March 5, 2013 at 6:01PM
Johan Ohrvik
Its something like 2:30 am in the states I am up allready but here its 9:30 am .
Yes thank you Barbara I would love it if you did I m affraid i will get no Instructions at all with my stove.
So I would be happy if you could do just that !:-)))
Maybe it would be possible to Scan it and send it as a pdf file.
Would be grate for other Tappan fans who have lost theres.
Somebody should start a real Tappan Fabulous Fan Home page.
I checked out Fridgidairi Flair The Copy !! They have a page with stoves for sale pictures troubleshooting etc.
I would do it but I dont have the necesarry computor skills.
Here is my other email adress: themagicchef1@gmail.com.
And good morning
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 12:47AM
barbarajjohnson
Good morning, Johan. You have a good idea for starting a home page for Tappan Fans but I don't have the computer skills to do it either. And I don't have a scanner. I will try to connect via email. bjj
    Bookmark   March 6, 2013 at 2:34AM
turbodavid
any way that I can purchase a copy of your manual would be awesome, davitospizza@yahoo.com thanks a million
    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 1:33PM
barbarajjohnson
I would be so happy to send you scanned copies of MOST of the pages via email (no charge). I scanned it for Johan (above) along with the pages of installation instructions for the gas model of the Fabulous 400 Tappan Gas Range. I would be pleased if someone else could benefit from it. barbarajjohnson
    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 2:32PM
barbarajjohnson
In case anyone is interested, I found a product to paint on the rusty surfaces of my stove--one of the problems that concerned me. It is Rust Reformer. We sanded the loose rust away (using a dremmel tool), washed the surface, and then applied the Rust Reformer (Menards or Walmart) with a foam paintbrush. The rusty surfaces are now black. They are underneath the burners and do not show. We think it worked--time will tell. I appreciate all the encouragement to restore rather than discard the stove.
    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 3:29PM
turbodavid
they also have another product called extend that will do that Barbara it should be available same places. And if you could send the scanned pages that would be awesome. I see that Johan found one (manual) on ebay or I am assuming because the winner was from norway and that sounds about right...
    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 3:36PM
barbarajjohnson
I will send it as attachments as soon as I can. bjj
    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 3:40PM
turbodavid
Wow I think you are the fastest person in the world to get back to someone... ty you have put a big smile on my face " )
    Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 3:48PM
turbodavid
johan if you get this post please write I think I contacted you on ebay if you won a manual that is me that wrote you ty looking forward to talking i have met barb and she has helped me out also. She is awesome well hope to here from you
    Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 1:45PM
pegdal
I also have a Fabulous 400 electric range that I am planning to replace soon. Would like to find someone that would appreciate and use. I have the manual, broiler pan and rotisserie. We removed the wood chopping block, ran it through the sander and it looks like new. If anyone interested please contact me peg455@aol.com. Michigan
    Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 9:39AM
bob7814
Hello All! My family and I are renovating our Father in laws house and he has a Tappan Fabulous 400. I've never seen a range quite like this! Great design! Our problem is that we can't figure out how to remove it. We can detach the gas and electric but we don't see where it's attached to the walls or cabinets. If anyone has an installation guide or any suggestions we would greatly appreciate your help. My email is bob7814@gmail.com Thanks!!!
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 7:08AM
joyce
I HAD a Frigidaire stove - electric on that order. I loved it. No better feeling when you have company but to slide the burners into the wall. Unfortunately, it had its day and we had to say good-bye. That also left us with 10 inches of spare room. We took it quite a step further and landed up with a fabulous "might-as-well" kitchen. Now I look back with fond nostalgia but no regrets. Good luck!!
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 7:16AM
barbarajjohnson
Hello to bob7814. I have the installation instructions that came with my Fab 400 gas range and will send them to you via email. I don't know if they will be helpful to you, however. Are you selling your stove? You can also sell parts of the stove--there are buyers out there on eBay. Best wishes!
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 7:52AM
Johan Ohrvik
Hello Bob 7814 Im sure you need to remove top of the range if it has a rangehood mounted on top you will have to remove that first and then remove top cover! it should be mounted to the wall with two bolts.
Hope this helps Johan
    Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 8:23AM
chaussettes
We have a Tappan Fabulous 400 electric range and are replacing it. Does anyone have suggestions on how to uninstall/remove it as easily as possible? Thanks.
    Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 1:49PM
Andrew Crorken
I am removing a Tappan that is not on a cabinet, sits on the counter, to replace with an electric Maytag, the Tappan will be sold but how do I remove it? It has a ventilation unit above the ovens.
    Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:52AM
francis_l
Hi. I have a Tappan 400 range that I am wanting to sell to update my kitchen. If anyone is interested in purchasing it please contact me @ francisfamily6@yahoo.com
Lisa
    Bookmark   August 31, 2014 at 11:14AM
Hudson Valley help! how do I make my kitchen brighter?
We moved into our new construction 2007. I still feel...
missb
Dinning room needs help!! Please, all dine and design LOVERS, Help!!
I have a drexel heritage dinning room set, it is vintage...
beautyresulted
I need desperate help with decorating
I want to remodel my entire downstairs by the end of...
rhondagoodwin
Need help with my Kitchen!
Just bought this house I Love the layout just wanting...
irishstyler2005
Need a lot of help in my kitchen
The home was built in 1954 and it is antiquated and...
kitchenquake
Looking for replacement handles for bedroom furniture
Can't find the right size draw pulls for 5 3/4 inch...
lemmonskml
Help me pull my dining room together
Hello all! My hubby and I finally fulled the trigger...
shal1217
Need a new wall color
What color can we choose that will work with this existing...
Allison Smith
Thermador Versus Kitchen Aid appliances
Any opinions out there about Thermador appliances versus...
Georgie Walker
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Wendy