OLLD 10/2
October 27, 2012 in Other
Good morning ladies! Hope everyone is alive and well today.

I probably won't be on Houzz much today as we are painting half of the living room. The other half has Halloween decorations on it and I'm not about to take them down and put them back up for what, five days!!!

I have a color question, color isn't my strong point. We're painting the walls the old Ben Moore Revere Pewter. Not my first choice, but since hubby is helping I let him pick the color. Are accent walls still in, or are they out now? I love the red ocher (ochre) color and thought it would go well with the Revere Pewter and maybe I could paint my fireplace wall with it. The fireplace surround is off-white.

Another concern I have with the red ochre is while it's great in the cold winters, how would it be in our extremely hot summers? Would it look dumb or overheated? Thanks for any help/advice/opinions you'd like to share with me!!!

The first pic isn't my room, it's just the Revere Pewter on walls: [houzz=Fiorella Design]

and this is the red ochre I love: [houzz=Spicy Hue SW6342 Paint]
creeser
Bobbi, you see a lot of the warm colors in southwest design, so I can't imagine it looking overheated, especially when paired with such a light color. While I don't see as many accent walls as I used to, I don't think they've gone out of style. However, this is YOUR style. If you want an accent wall, do it! I think it will be lovely! You'll have to post pictures when you're done.
October 27, 2012 at 7:04AM   
Thanks, creeser! I guess I got today's date wrong, huh? You can add a new one if you want, OLLD ladies will probably be looking for it. I'll let you know what happens, haven't talked to hubby about the idea yet!
October 27, 2012 at 7:41AM   
Hi Bobbi,
Just a quick check in. I have a deadline on Monday and have to work most of the weekend. But about your living room paint colors. I love the subtlety of Revere Pewter, and I love the boldness of your ochre shade, but I'm really not sure they will work well together (and I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of accent walls, though I'm thinking of using one in my son's bedroom). The Revere Pewter and the ocher just aren't a combination I'd be confident about choosing. But it all depends on the colors of your furniture. If there are colors in your furniture (pillows, rugs, etc.) that pick up both shades, then it could be great. If not, it might look incoherent. But what's the worst that can happen? You paint the accent wall and hate it and have to prime and paint one wall again. Not a big commitment of time or money. So go for it if you feel it will work with your decor.
October 27, 2012 at 8:23AM   
Hi feeny! Thanks for your help. I asked Raul if he thought it was a good idea, if he liked the color, and he gave the usual "It's up to you" which in Raul speak means no, not really.....So I guess I'll find a closet or something for the ochre!!!! What's your deadline? Did you finish grading the papers? Sounds like torture to me!
October 27, 2012 at 11:15AM   
Ok, well the first coat is on two walls and for right now the jury is out. I have to admit I am not in love with it yet. It will take two coats so I will reserve judgement til we get natural light in here again tomorrow.

What is everyone up to today?? Have you made your Thanksgiving plans yet? Anything exciting?
October 27, 2012 at 11:17AM   
michigammemom
Hi Bobbi, I know you love that red ochre, but agree with feeny that it may not be the best fit with the cool gray undertones of Revere Pewter. I have a similar terra cotta color in my laundry room paired with a warm off-white which is a nice combination. A very brisk 38 degrees here in the Northland. I was out trimming shrubs and nearly suffered from frostbite!
October 27, 2012 at 11:24AM   
Wow! 38 degrees? You have no idea how jealous I am. It's supposed to be near 90 here this whole weekend!

Yes, thanks, I've already decided that if I force my way with the red ochre I'm only going to have to repaint it in 6 months so I've pretty much given up on it. Sigh....Thanks for you advice, always appreciated!
October 27, 2012 at 11:27AM   
Yes! Two walls, two coats, and done. What color is this anyway? We can't decide if it's gray, beige, blue or blue/green. Weird!
October 27, 2012 at 2:52PM   
Hurrah! Actually, that's what I like about colors like Revere Pewter--it looks like a different shade in different lights and contexts, at different times of day. A real chameleon.
October 27, 2012 at 3:04PM   
Feeny, you're so right! I'm not sure I like it, but one thing is for sure, I can't remove it!
October 27, 2012 at 3:37PM   
olldroo
Hi Bobby, wondered how your painting was going and yes you did confused me with the date and have only just found you. When you said Pewter I sort of inwardly cringed but from the photo above I love it. As for the ochre, I just have to say no. It looks the same colour as my lounge room carpet that I so hate because of the heated effect it gives the room - especially when it faces west as well. Looking at the photo the brick seems to be the same as the ochre so that could give you a good idea.

I've seen lots of feature walls on this site so obviously they are not actually "out" but a feature wall has to be just the right wall in a room. Usually it is the narrow end wall on a long room as it tends to bring the wall in. Don't know what shape or size your room is and the placement of the wall you want to colour.

Quite frankly the pewter with lots of white (or off white) trim I think will always look lovely and fresh and clean. Don't know what colour your furnishings are but you could bring in some warmth for winter with accessories if you wanted but I would definitely add green and greenery for a beautiful cool fresh look for summer.

The other thing with doing a feature wall too is that if the pewter is constantly changing colour then finding a suitable feature colour will really be hard. On the other hand a feature colour could change the pewter and keep the colour more constant. Sadly one never knows how these things will pan out until they are done.

My painting stalled today, my daughter was going to meet me at the shops and check out the carpet and lounge I like, so I didn't want to get stuck into too much and get covered in paint but then she rang at lunchtime to say she couldn't make it, by which time of course half the day had gone. Went to the hardware to get another sample pot for the bedroom and found they had 20% off paint today only. Too good a special to resist but was only 1.5 hours till they closed so grabbed a sample pot raced home, slapped it on the wall (it was perfect thank goodness) and raced back and got the 4ltr tin. Guy who mixed the paint told me I was the fastest old lady he had ever seen. Still working out if I should have thanked him or decked him one. Then the lady at the checkout apologised and said it was 2.05 and the sale finished at 2pm so I couldn't have the discount. She just got a steely glare and I told her it wasn't a good day to mess with me.

Have had a sample of carpet sitting at my front door all weekend and I have finally decided I really like it. It is a cream and pale caramel colour mix - far more practical than the white I originally chose. It doesn't quite go with the timber feature wall I have in my lounge room - they sort of talk to each other but don't love each other if you know what I mean - attached a photo please feel free to express your opinion. The Old Boy loves it but has no idea of colour but he did make sense when he said I am trying to match a whole house of carpet to one wall in one room. I can live with that. It is on sale till Wednesday saving me around $1,000 so have to take the sample back tomorrow and will order it. Of course then I have to commit to an installation date so that is really going to tie me down to get things done. Also have to order the lounge Wednesday to have it by Christmas but have that settled in my mind now so FINALLY things are starting to come together. Maybe I might be able to start to think straight.
October 27, 2012 at 10:45PM   
I have absolutely no idea where I was on 10/2 and I missed this whole post. Now i know how the wool rug and Revere Pewter started. bobeeee, I am going scouting for this pix with R P on the walls and BM Seagull gray on the ceiling.
November 20, 2012 at 9:10AM   
R P? Would you cool it with the shorthand? Oh , revere pewter, I get it. You want me to think AND be beautiful? Not all dumbs are blonde, you know.
November 20, 2012 at 9:13AM     
Can't find it right now and the color is gull wing grey not seagull….How did you know I am blonde?
November 20, 2012 at 9:32AM   
blonde, yeah, that was a tough one....
November 20, 2012 at 9:33AM   
Did I set myself up for that one!!!!
November 20, 2012 at 12:23PM     
OLLD 10/2
Good morning, everyone! It's a rainy Wednesday in E-town....
I have an office space 10'2x9'9 help with desk!
I do not know how large my desk should be in my office...
OLLD 2/10
Guess it's a "late morning" for you gals, so I'm starting...
OLLD 10/10
Good morning, everyone! What's happening today, anything...
OLLD 6/10
Trying to get in on the conversation, before I go out...
Does anyone know the company that supplies this brick and the name of
Building a house. Really like this brick but unable...
Deck and Patio design for privacy
We are finally putting a deck off of our kitchen sliding...
Guest room not very guest friendly. Please help!
Smallish guest room is 12'6" x 11'3", but has high...
Need Advice on House Paint for Bunglow
Hi Everyone, I'm back. You gave me great advice last...
Need dining area help. Will a table this large be a hit or a miss.
I have an indoor dining area (13 x 16ft) with 3 dining...