ronnyc
January 24, 2011 in Photo Questions
Any experience with converting a wood burning fireplace to gas fireplace?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Kerrie L. Kelly
Yes! What a wonderful new convenience! While I love the look and smell of real wood burning, it isn't always realistic due to eco-friendliness or storage of wood. We changed my parents' two fireplaces into gas inserts through Custom Fireside. Tons of options and really easy to convert...not to mention not expensive compared to a cord of wood! http://www.customfireside.com/
January 25, 2011 at 8:40AM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronnyc
Thanks for your expertise kerrie. I have been thinking about doing this for awhile, and now you have convinced me!
January 25, 2011 at 12:18PM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Christine
We did it to our river stone fireplace from the early 1900's. We did not use an insert, just realistic gas logs. We loved the look because it still looked like our original fireplace, just easier!
January 25, 2011 at 4:36PM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronnyc
Do they give off as much heat? How about the smell? I love how wood burning fireplaces smell?
January 25, 2011 at 4:55PM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Christine
I, too, love the wood burning fireplace. Because of flue problems with our fireplace, the gas logs made the most sense. I was amazed at the amount of heat given off!! And no loss of heat up the chimney (we blocked off the flue). Sometimes I could smell the gas, but only went I first turned it on. As an orginial skeptic of the gas fireplace, it really is a great option for your existing fireplace.
January 25, 2011 at 5:22PM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Kerrie L. Kelly
They can give off heat through a vent, nut they do not have any smell.
January 25, 2011 at 5:41PM   
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Interiors by Anita
We were also thinking of converting our wood fireplace to gas. We already have the gas line in. When we contacted a company regarding a log insert we were told that it would leave a film on the ceiling (almost an oily black film over time) that would be impossible to clean. What are your thoughts on that....
December 31, 2012 at 11:49AM   
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Kitchen remodel
I need your help! Our home is in a rural area surrounded...
Wall color
Looking to add a new wall color. Something that will...
Shelves cover?
Hi. We removed a fireplace years ago in our office,...
Decorator's block!
Ok I LOVE to change things up and move pieces around....
What flooring will go with this granite floor?
I have a black and white granite floor in my kitchen...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™