New house! Need help with family room
fsuballou
We are purchasing this house in a few weeks (pictured here with current owners furniture) & we need help with the family room. We will be buying all new furniture, so this is a blank slate! What we are thinking is; stack stone around fireplace to the ceiling (not sure what stone), wood "rustic" mantle, TV over mantle, wood bar with bar stools between kitchen & family room, refinish floors darker (not sure what shade), U shaped sectional sofa in a chocolate color.

Thoughts on those ideas? Any other suggestions? What type of window treatments? Area rug? Paint color? Accessories? Lamps? I'm a little overwhelmed!

The space is 17 x 17 & the back of the room is the traffic area from the entryway to the kitchen. Thanks for your help!
Aggie Purvinska
Normally I would agree with the stacked stone all the way up, but I like this mantle, except, sheetrock over the niche. Paint walls a very light gray, blue or beige, a very faint color, almost white, TV Can go over the Fireplace, Paint trim and mantle BM Dove White. Keep white faux wood blinds or replace them with off white roman shades.
You need a large rug, two sofas, two chairs, or a sectional and two chairs, coffee table, lamps, end tables. Put a fantastic huge painting on the left wall.

1 Like   October 29, 2012 at 7:45PM
mmilos
Don't think I'd do stacked stone. The alcove above the fireplace is perfect for a TV. I wouldn't get a U shaped sectional...looks too massive and one color. Go with an L shaped sectional or a couch and loveseat arranged in an L with the long couch in front of the fireplace. Paint the room and add curtain panels on your windows that go from floor to ceiling for color and height.

Two club/occassional chairs would look good in the windows flanking the fireplace.
0 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 8:07PM
fsuballou
Thanks for the comments! No stone would definitely save some $, but I like the idea of making it a cozy, warm space. What are your reasons for no stone? Would it not balance the windows? I should mention that we tend to like a more traditional/transitional style. Thanks again for the input!
0 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 8:35PM
Aggie Purvinska
The stone calls for a chimney, a fireplace that is proud of the wall and all the way up, or an entire wall, etc. This is a classic fireplace with a perfect mantel. If you like traditional style, this would go much better than the rustic stone cladded, which works with an different, more rustic look, English Castle.
1 Like   October 29, 2012 at 8:39PM
xiaojiao
Ha ha, I am a beginner, English is not very good, ability is limited, and see the work after, I feel simple good, is the lack of some of the detail of the fastidious, less anything...
0 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 9:15PM
Maybe the best of both worlds?
Fireplace
2001 Showcase
2 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 9:26PM
ManLand LandMan
Start here! This is Modern! Cheap and sets the bar of elegance!
0 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 9:28PM
ManLand LandMan
Any Huzz user should give a dam Example! I think I set this off, this is were this starts! You can even go cheap if money is a thing. ( stick on ) backsplash google it!
0 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 9:32PM
ManLand LandMan
The window treatments you have are crisp, don't touch em!
0 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 9:34PM
ManLand LandMan
You need to tweak things!
0 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 9:36PM
Manon Floreat
I really like you fireplace as well and think it's good fit for a transitional look. You could consider a mosaic surround for some textural/material interest and to brighten it up a bit.

I'm not clear on where the entry is. You said towards the back of the room - does that mean behind and to the left of the sofa? What is to the right of the entertainment center? Answers to these questions will help us come up with some furniture arrangement options.
1 Like   October 29, 2012 at 11:30PM
ManLand LandMan
Me and Manon are on this! Tweak what you have! She has also great input!
0 Likes   October 29, 2012 at 11:34PM
dk Gallery
Hi! We would love to help you with your art needs in your future home. Art work is the most powerful way to accomplish any design objective. We have our full inventory online at www.dkgallery.us. If you are going for cozy, may we suggest..
0 Likes   June 27, 2014 at 12:44PM
Modern Family needs help with BORING Family Room in new house
We sold our super stylish/hip mid century modern home...
jkland
New house-Need help on ideas for family room etc
We recently purchased our house and have a family room...
Shannon Ley
Need Help with Family Room in my New House
The floors are espresso Hardwood and I want TV over...
deip
Need help for open kitchen and family room in new house
We just moved into a new house and it has a great open...
stwillen
I need ideas for the family room in our new house!
Hey everybody, I really need your help with our new...
Veronika Sophie
How can we improve the look of this fireplace?
When we bought the house everything in it was monochromatic....
cmaddy
Need ideas for the living room
Any ideas on decorating this living room are appreciated...
Mayola Antony
How to deco living room?
Hello , I am working on deco my living room . Today...
Flo Huebert
Kitchen lighting over sink
Help! We can't figure out the best lighting to put...
nattidd
question - hardwood on stairs
I have received installation quotes for installing...
camberose