Help me decorate my new living room! Color schemes? Styles?
bethkatherine
October 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I am moving into a new place in two weeks and want to start planning what approach to take on the living room.

Its fairly large and theres a fireplace. I cant decide if I should mount the tv above the fire place or put it on a different wall (the wall to the LEFT of the fireplace)

Theres also a cute seating are next to the fire place i could do throw pillows etc.

I really am open to all ideas- painting a wall or all walls, couch color, decor etc.

***The first photo is THE ACTUAL HOUSE IM MOVING INTO, the other photos are of a MODEL HOUSE. So you get a better idea of the size Im working with.***
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mmilos
The TV mounted above the fireplace would be very high and distracting next to the landing. I would put your TV on the seat/ledge next to the fireplace. You have a plug on the wall behind the ledge. I would say that's the original intent of the ledge versus a seat.

Either that or I would buy an entertainment console and put it with your TV on the big long wall opposite your windows with seating gathered around your fireplace.
October 29, 2012 at 6:57pm   
mmilos
I would also paint the fireplace a different color than the other walls and put a nice tall art piece above the mantle. Nice space.
October 29, 2012 at 7:00pm   
Aggie Purvinska
Paint everything one color, like a BM Swiss Coffee, run laminated stone all the way up the chimney, install a chunky rustic beam as a mantle. Put an Entertainment Console with TV on the wall on the right. Sew a cushion for the seat, can be a fun fabric. Buy a Sectional, Chairs, Coffee Table, Lamps...hang white faux wood blinds on widows. Keep it simple and contemporary...

[houzz=Addison Sectional]

[houzz=Boden Leather Chair]

[houzz=Dwell Studio Chelsea Stripe Major Brown Pillow]

[houzz=Rotunda Coffee Table - Anthropologie.com]

[houzz=Faux Sheepskin Pillow Cover]

[houzz=Chevron Lamp Shade]

[houzz=Tripod Wood Floor Lamp]

[houzz=Tan Moroccan Leather Pouf]

[houzz=lace cut console]
October 29, 2012 at 7:25pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
mmilos has excellent ideas and I totally agree that the TV would be too high for comfortable enjoyment if placed above the fireplace. The wall to the left of the window appears to be a great location for an entertainment area.

I'd start with a sofa and two chairs, with the sofa facing the fireplace and the chairs facing the TV. I like the placement of the chair shown in front of the window. It could have an ottoman and be a great reading chair with a round table and a lamp beside it.

I'd keep the sofa and pair of chairs in a solid color and perhaps have the window chair in a pattern, but not necessarily. Bring in color with pillows, rug, throws, and artwork. A sofa table behind the sofa could hold a pair of lamps, and a good sized coffee table would work well in front of it. You'll need a table between the two chairs, also with a lamp.

The long wall on the right side of the room seems ideal for a long, tall bookcase. My favorite Ikea Billy bookcase, with added height pieces, comes to mind. Don't be put off by the low price of Ikea's furniture. Their Billy series is a wonderful bargain that looks fabulous!
October 29, 2012 at 7:42pm   
decoenthusiaste
Here's a little inspiration for some real warmth to cozy up this room!

October 29, 2012 at 9:38pm     
pcmom1
First thing I noticed: you need either a larger, more substantial mantle, or no mantle. Notice the difference of yours with the model home's.
July 15, 2014 at 3:22pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
This is a posting from 2 years ago, to which the original poster has never responded.
July 15, 2014 at 5:42pm