Help me decorate my new living room! Color schemes? Styles?
bethkatherine
I am moving into a new place in two weeks and want to start planning what approach to take on the living room.

Its fairly large and theres a fireplace. I cant decide if I should mount the tv above the fire place or put it on a different wall (the wall to the LEFT of the fireplace)

Theres also a cute seating are next to the fire place i could do throw pillows etc.

I really am open to all ideas- painting a wall or all walls, couch color, decor etc.

***The first photo is THE ACTUAL HOUSE IM MOVING INTO, the other photos are of a MODEL HOUSE. So you get a better idea of the size Im working with.***
mmilos
The TV mounted above the fireplace would be very high and distracting next to the landing. I would put your TV on the seat/ledge next to the fireplace. You have a plug on the wall behind the ledge. I would say that's the original intent of the ledge versus a seat.

Either that or I would buy an entertainment console and put it with your TV on the big long wall opposite your windows with seating gathered around your fireplace.
October 29, 2012 at 6:57pm   
mmilos
I would also paint the fireplace a different color than the other walls and put a nice tall art piece above the mantle. Nice space.
October 29, 2012 at 7:00pm   
Aggie Purvinska
Paint everything one color, like a BM Swiss Coffee, run laminated stone all the way up the chimney, install a chunky rustic beam as a mantle. Put an Entertainment Console with TV on the wall on the right. Sew a cushion for the seat, can be a fun fabric. Buy a Sectional, Chairs, Coffee Table, Lamps...hang white faux wood blinds on widows. Keep it simple and contemporary...

[houzz=Addison Sectional]

[houzz=Boden Leather Chair]

[houzz=Dwell Studio Chelsea Stripe Major Brown Pillow]

[houzz=Rotunda Coffee Table - Anthropologie.com]

[houzz=Faux Sheepskin Pillow Cover]

[houzz=Chevron Lamp Shade]

[houzz=Tripod Wood Floor Lamp]

[houzz=Tan Moroccan Leather Pouf]

[houzz=lace cut console]
October 29, 2012 at 7:25pm   
mmilos has excellent ideas and I totally agree that the TV would be too high for comfortable enjoyment if placed above the fireplace. The wall to the left of the window appears to be a great location for an entertainment area.

I'd start with a sofa and two chairs, with the sofa facing the fireplace and the chairs facing the TV. I like the placement of the chair shown in front of the window. It could have an ottoman and be a great reading chair with a round table and a lamp beside it.

I'd keep the sofa and pair of chairs in a solid color and perhaps have the window chair in a pattern, but not necessarily. Bring in color with pillows, rug, throws, and artwork. A sofa table behind the sofa could hold a pair of lamps, and a good sized coffee table would work well in front of it. You'll need a table between the two chairs, also with a lamp.

The long wall on the right side of the room seems ideal for a long, tall bookcase. My favorite Ikea Billy bookcase, with added height pieces, comes to mind. Don't be put off by the low price of Ikea's furniture. Their Billy series is a wonderful bargain that looks fabulous!
October 29, 2012 at 7:42pm   
Here's a little inspiration for some real warmth to cozy up this room!

October 29, 2012 at 9:38pm     
pcmom1
First thing I noticed: you need either a larger, more substantial mantle, or no mantle. Notice the difference of yours with the model home's.
July 15, 2014 at 3:22pm   
This is a posting from 2 years ago, to which the original poster has never responded.
July 15, 2014 at 5:42pm   
I need help with color scheme in my new living room.
My living room is 24 ft by 15ft into the alcove by...
Please help me decorate my new living room!
We just moved in a few weeks ago and I need help with...
New color scheme for my living room
I have navy leather furniture, white washed oak trim...
Need help with this Living room, color scheme, decor idea?
Please give me advice on the color scheme for this...
Help decorate my living room around my new braided rug
I just bought a new braided rug(blue,burgundy ,gold,green)I...
New home paint dilemma - can fabric and marmoleum insets be painted?
We are thrilled about our new home, but stumped about...
1880's Folk Victorian (?) Paint Scheme? White, dark green, and ???
This is my husband's grandfather's house--supposedly...
New House Practically Blank Slate
Just moved into new house--open concept living, dining,...
Painting the area between the plate and crown molding?
Trying to decide if I should paint the area between...