"copper sink"
skhazel
October 29, 2012 in Design Dilemma
Shopping for kitchen sink for old ranch home kitchen remodel. Really interested in copper apron front sink, but have been scared by some friends about maintenance/lead. Anyone out there with copper sink who has had it for a while?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
TRS Designs, Inc (Kitchens, Baths, & More)
I just had this exact same conversation two days ago with a client of mine. I emailed him the following info.

Copper Sink Care and Maintenance

Never use abrasives or soft scrub!!! Soap and Water Does the Trick.
To protect the finish on copper sinks avoid using abrasive cleaners. No coarse, acidic, or alcohol-based cleaners should be used. No Steel wool, Brillo pads, or wire brushes as they can may scratch copper surfaces. Clean with hot soapy water and scrub with a soft nylon brush. For Tough stains try using a paste of baking soda and water applied with a sponge. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a soft cloth. Copper sinks can be used for all
normal household tasks but avoid prolonged surface exposure to acidic foods such as tomato sauce and citrus products. If these products sit overnight in direct contact with copper, the surface may discolor. Should the surface discolor, it will start to darken back down with use. This darkening process time will depend on how much use the sink gets. The more it is used, the faster the process.

The natural patina process may also be affected by mineral content in your water supply. Removing any standing water with a soft cloth is recommended to prevent calcium staining and mineral buildup.

Copper Sinks are hand formed from the finest quality copper available today. The Patinas are created by a firing process and will change over time, developing more interest and variations. A copper finish is a living finish and never really stops changing in color. You can greatly reduce this change with the use of an auto (Paste) wax and or furniture oil such as Pledge Lemon Oil. Sinks can also be sealed with olive oil (oils will darken and enrich color somewhat. Use the auto wax a few times a year or the Lemon oil as often as you like.

Copper is more sanitary than any other sink material, its antibacterial. Science shows us bacteria can live for days on a stainless steel surface, but for only a matter of hours on copper.

To keep sinks in pristine condition, dry after use.

To further age and patina a sink, dissolve a teaspoon of salt with 1/4 cup ammonia and apply to sink. Let dry for half and hour, then wash with cold water and dry with a clean, soft cloth. Repeat process to further patina. This process also works in areas that may have been brightened or lightened.

Please be aware that all rustic sinks and tubs have a finish that is by nature uneven and variable in color and pattern. In addition, the dimensions and consistency of shape can vary considerably. We offer these sinks and tubs with the view that these variations are part of the rustic character and charm, and do not constitute defects.

Copper is also malleable. Materials that are malleable can be hammered or stretched or rolled into various shapes with relative ease, while still maintaining their strength. Some metals, like copper, are also ductile, which means they are flexible. Should your sink arrive with a bent edge, it can be hammered back into position with little effort. Use a wooden or rubber mallet to straighten any edges that may have been altered in shipping.
October 30, 2012 at 5:19AM   
More Discussions
Is it possible to have a comfortably warm basement?
The past two homes I've lived in, the basement was...
Kitchen with connected living room
We're currently in the process of remodeling our kitchen,...
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Please help with furniture layout - 12.4x22 living room
I have no clue where to even start with designing a...
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc.
Houzz® The new way to design your home™