Need help picking out a backsplash for my kitchen
krlew
I am updating my kitchen. Replaced my laminate countertops with granite(black pearl) Updated my cupboard handles. Removed the old backsplash and am needing it replaced. I have attached 2 choices. They are both horizontal tile which i like and i know i don't want anything shiny(glass/mirror), as my countertops have lots of shine. I like both of these. My initial choice was the brick pattern, the colours blend in so well. But now i am favouring the tumbled travertine, it is a bit lighter which i like and i love the texture. My floors are hardwood with the colour similar to my cupboards and my paint colours are in the browns and neutrals.................please help......your opinions would be appreciated very much, thank you
michigammemom
I would be concerned about cleaning the brick selection as it looks like a very uneven and textured surface.
October 31, 2012 at 10:47am     
Bonnie
I like the one on the left of the second photo. You could also do a granite backsplash in the same color as your counter.
October 31, 2012 at 10:50am     
heidizgraf
I would absolutely go with the tumbled travertine. It picks up the tones in both the countertop and the cabinets. And! It would clean up better. I understand why you like the lighter rough brick, I do, too. However, it would be a bear to keep clean and I think it just doesn't look as good in this situation. maybe you can find another room for it?
October 31, 2012 at 11:08am     
Nancy Hehmann
I vote for the tumbled travertine for all the reasons heidizgraf gave.
October 31, 2012 at 11:13am   
farm4gal
Excellent question! I'm just doing the same thing. My cupboards are similar colour. The granite I picked is silver pearl which has some grey in it,my flooring is really light,white/grey with small amount of brown tile look. I like both of your selections, but was wondering how you would keep the one on the left clean, when it is near the stove? Were you planning on doing it right up to the bottom of the counter's? Could you show a picture of your whole kitchen?
October 31, 2012 at 11:16am   
laurazamp
Definitely the tumbled travertine.
October 31, 2012 at 11:24am     
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I like the tumbled travertine. I think it has more interest and picks up the tones in your room better. The lighter one is too light.
October 31, 2012 at 11:25am     
Natalie
TT definitely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
October 31, 2012 at 11:26am   
krlew
Oh oh, i am a bit confused, but it was probably my wording. In the second photo, the picture on the left with the smaller, rougher brick is the tumbled travertine. The picture on the right, the larger, smoother, brick pattern is a natural stone, marble i believe. So, please respond with your choice, left or right. Again, I apologize for the confusion and all your comments are so very helpful and appreciated. My concern also with the tile on the left is the clean-up. I just called Centura Tile, and the tile is treated and sealed so they say it won't stain.
October 31, 2012 at 12:01pm   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I think we're all saying the one on the right.
October 31, 2012 at 12:17pm     
krlew
Yes, that's what i think too! It is actually my first choice, but unfortunately back-ordered until November 30th(unconfirmed date) So, therefore, I have been searching for an alternate in case it is delayed even longer............thanks everyone for confirming my choice........hopefully it will come in sooner rather than later:)
October 31, 2012 at 12:32pm   
Bonnie Ross
I too am in the process of doing my kitchen in the same colours etc. My backsplash is in and I went with the travertine but I am finding it is not going well with my countertop. Would be glad to see how it all looks when you are done. Good luck!
October 31, 2012 at 6:47pm   
krlew
Thanks.............will gladly send in a picture when it is finished.....likely won't be till sometime in December, hopefully before Christmas:)
October 31, 2012 at 6:53pm   
farm4gal
Bonnieross do you have any pictures of your backsplash? What color is your granite ?
October 31, 2012 at 9:02pm   
Bonnie Ross
I'll take pics tonight and post. I actually went with the Silestone Quartz in "Mountain Mist" for the counter and "Noce" travertine for the backsplash. It looked great together in the store but with my bleached oak cabinets and yellow on the walls right now, the backsplash looks more in the brownish tones (warm) when the countertop looks more on the grey (cool) tones. I hope once I paint the walls and install new flooring it will blend in more. Bought both through Home Depot.
November 1, 2012 at 8:57am   
Bonnie
I did tile like the one on the right (larger smooth rectangles) and wish that I had not. It is very pretty but with the granite it all just feels too busy now. Wish I had done something simpler. The guy in the tile store try to tell me but I did not listen...
November 1, 2012 at 10:23am   
bamamom
First and third photos, with the rectangular travertine laid in brick pattern. I actually like the top stones of the travertine best, but travertine is natural and will have a variety of colors. I have travertine backsplashes, square, and LOVE it. Noce' color. I did seal it so it now has anywhere from a warm ivory to medium gold colors. Goes great with my countertops (black/brown with flecks of rust/gold/cream/silver) and tile floor.
November 1, 2012 at 10:49am   
Trends in Tile
I like the brick pattern using the 3x6 size Travertine. Word of caution....natural stone requires yearly maintenance, so be sure to seal your counter and backsplash.
November 2, 2012 at 8:52am   
benjijk
I would second what others are saying wrt maintenance, and suggest looking at a porcelain travertine alternative. very similar look, this site sells them in a subway size as well - http://tiledaily.com/2012/08/06/antico-series-travertine-porcelain-tile-2-shades/
November 2, 2012 at 1:03pm   
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
one more vote for the tumbled travertine
November 2, 2012 at 1:11pm   
Ditto. Tumbled travertine.
November 2, 2012 at 1:15pm   
Jordan Culver
the smoother travertine is my choice of the 2, but honestly, you have so many busy natural materials going on here, I suggest considering a 3x6 white/cream subway tile in a running bond pattern. Even the smoother travertine (they are both travertine, btw) has pits in it that will require a brush to clean. And you'll have to seal it regularly. Also the combo of travertine + dark granite+honey oak, lovely as it is, may look dated in a few years - Travertine is very popular right now. A simple subway tile would look more classic. Just my 2 cents.
November 2, 2012 at 1:24pm     
anitajoyce
Nice tile and countertop choices. I like the first and third tiles. They offer the black of the countertop more nice contrast. The tile has variations of color in them where it picks up color from the countertop. The beige one doesn't. I also like th smoothness of it. In the picture with both tiles, the one on the right looks the best.
November 2, 2012 at 1:45pm   
krlew
Thanks everyone again for your comments...........just got word that my tile will not be in now till January:( Not sure that i have the patience to wait that long, so have the option of choosing something else............ Will try pick out a few more alternative choices and post next week..........what does everyone think of Jordan's comments?? I think i agree, I am worried that some of the travertine tiles will look too dark and busy, i just have a small sample, not sure how much variation there is from box to box? Keeping it simple and classy may be the smartest thing to do.
November 2, 2012 at 1:54pm   
olldcan
I agree with Jordan, you could create a bear to clean and busy busy busy. Asking what it looks like is one thing, having it and doing the usual cleaning and maintenance is definitely another. Keeping it simple and classy is the way to go. Love the running bond idea but with a larger tile. Back painted glass or more of the same granite installed full height might be options for you to consider.
November 2, 2012 at 2:11pm     
bamamom
I have not problem cleaning my travertine. I seal it once a year. Just pour the sealer in a glass bowl, small paint brush and brush it on an let dry. The grout will fill in any little (or larger) holes in the pieces. I almost went with subway shiny porcelein tile. So glad I did not.
November 2, 2012 at 2:20pm   
Bonnie
I agree with Jordan's comments as I noted before I did use a similar travetine and it feels too busy.
November 2, 2012 at 2:47pm   
alwaysdesigning
How "busy" doyou want your kitchen to look? The same color neutral is what I would opt for. You could also use them both. Use one as an accent area, say behind the range, with some nice coordinating tile moldings to frame it
]
November 2, 2012 at 3:03pm     
michigammemom
If you're headed back to the drawing board, you might consider a multi-color slate with the honey tones of your cabinets and gray/black of your counter tops.
November 2, 2012 at 3:52pm     
Bonnie Ross
Hi - You asked to see my kitchen so far so here are the pics - sorry I'm a day late with them - let me know if you think this helps. I am beginning to love it more - just have to change my old yellow paint and the floor.
November 2, 2012 at 4:12pm   
Bonnie Ross
Here's some others.
November 2, 2012 at 4:18pm     
Bonnie Ross
Woops, one of the pics was supposed to be this one.
November 2, 2012 at 4:30pm   
Bonnie
michiganmom...love the slate!
November 2, 2012 at 5:26pm     
farm4gal
Bonnieross I do like your tile. Seem's after a week on the wall you probably aren't noticing it like the first few days. Just like when you change your wall color. Does look like you pulled some brown tones out of the granite and found that shade in the tile.
I have picked out a silver travertine 2x4 tile, to go with silver pearl granite and oak cupboards. Maybe I should be looking at glass subway tile?
It's been interesting reading everyone's comments for krlew.
November 2, 2012 at 9:23pm   
Bonnie Ross
Thx. Farm Gal - you're right - don't notice it as much now - especially since I finished painting the walls today in a colour to match the backsplash. It's looking a lot better now. Now I have to decide on floor colour - I would love to continue my light hardwood into the kitchen which connects the dining room and hallway but hubby doesn't want wood in the kitchen. Thanks Krlew for permitting us your space however I am still interested in how you're doing - update if you can.
Let me know Farm Gal what you decide also.
November 3, 2012 at 6:52pm   
krlew
Ok. Got a small sample of a 3x6 travertine in a more neutral cream colour, i think i like it, it's not as busy and dark.......please pass on your comments/suggestions, thanks The first picture is the tile on its own. The next 2 pictures show the tile in the bottom left corner comparing it with the original darker, busier travertine i had initially chosen
November 8, 2012 at 9:41am   
krlew
Sorry, here is pictures 2 and 3
November 8, 2012 at 9:48am   
Bonnie Ross
I love this krlew, this looks great - can't wait to see it all together!
November 8, 2012 at 10:05am     
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Looks like a winner. Post pictures when it's done.
November 8, 2012 at 10:57am     
bamamom
Wow! I really like that one!
November 8, 2012 at 12:47pm     
Natalie
Excellent! Make sure to check your tile next to your paint color in the kitchen. It may look peach or pink next to your color palette... Good Luck!
November 8, 2012 at 2:10pm   
anitajoyce
Nice!
November 8, 2012 at 3:36pm   
krlew
Ok, my kitchen backsplash was installed early December, sorry I took so long to post. I ended up going with a natural 3x6 travertine, neutral colour. I used an enhancer sealer, which brought out the colours of the natural brick, won't have to be sealed again for 15 years. I absolultely love it!!
January 20, 2013 at 6:16pm   
MELSAL
Post a picture!
January 20, 2013 at 6:33pm   
alliegee
The tiles on the right would be my pick...definitely the nicest !!!
January 20, 2013 at 6:36pm   
krlew
Sorry, forgot to add the pictures:)
January 20, 2013 at 6:38pm     
MELSAL
Love it! Looks perfect
January 20, 2013 at 6:48pm     
kimdee24
Beautiful!
January 20, 2013 at 6:51pm     
Donna Cheek
I have black granite, also. My backsplash is the tumbled travertine with one diamond-shaped piece of the granite placed every three feet (horizontally). I really like it. Clean up has not been a problem at all, and it runs right behind the stove which is a slide in with the height exactly that of the counter tops.
January 20, 2013 at 7:05pm   
GARY FINLEY, ASID
i like the tumbled
January 20, 2013 at 7:06pm   
Donna Cheek
Your kitchen is beautiful. Husband just told me that our backsplash is tumbled marble not travertine which I have been calling it ever since we've had it.
January 20, 2013 at 7:11pm     
bamamom
Oh it has come together beautifully! You made a great choice. Enjoy for years to come!
January 20, 2013 at 7:57pm     
GARY FINLEY, ASID
nice
January 20, 2013 at 8:05pm   
briagonzales
Looks great!!!
January 20, 2013 at 8:52pm   
alsad
The brick (darker) one because it has a hint of grey which goes better with the countertop. If you really like the texture of the other one ( it is cool!) see if you can get it in a color with some grey in it.. Regardless, the brick looks really chic.
January 20, 2013 at 9:06pm   
alsad
Saw your 'after' pics after posting my comment lol.. Looks great!
January 20, 2013 at 9:07pm   
Barbara Griffith Designs
Could not be more perfect.
January 20, 2013 at 9:09pm     
Need Help picking out backsplash tile for my new kitchen
I have new brown cabinets and White Springs granite...
Need help picking out a color to paint my tile backsplash
I have cherry cabinets, a blue/black/gray granite counter...
NEED HELP PICKING OUT COLOR FOR MY KITCHEN WALLS.- HELP
I NEED A COLOR THAT WOULD LOOK GREAT WITH CABINETS...
I need help picking out kitchen backsplash tile
Renovating condo on the beach. Small kitchen just got...
Need help picking out backsplash for kitchen
We cannot decide on a color for the back splash. We...
Help! What rug would work with my patterned curtains?!
Hello! I'm decorating my bedroom and I need to find...
Need help to redo our house and landscape
Please find attached the pics of outdoors.This place...
What's in your fruit bowl?
Or do you have a fruit bowl? This is the time of year...
Boy room to Teen Dream
Paint, shelf demo and purge purge purge - room is 12...