Help with Awful Oak Flooring Wall!!!!
lisagraveline
I am in the midst of changing out this awful oak flooring, which has been used as paneling on one of our family room walls in our mountain home. We are hanging a flat screen tv above the fireplace. We are going to stone the face of the fireplace as well as wrapping the sides of the fireplace in stone. Now, the big question: What kind of shelving do I install for each side of the fireplace? We would like to keep all of our electronics on the shelves as well, so we would like them to be very functional. HELP!!
Custom Home Planning Center
I'd consider stained 5/4 pine stepping for shelves. Here is the big change. Add 2 x 2 vertically on a regular or random spacing (try sticking a few in place with rubber cement) which ever you like. You then interrupt the vertical with a shelf and start up again on the top of the shelf and on to the next shelf location. I'd go to a local furniture builder's shop or shops and buy their cut scraps. (they may just give them to you or charge you a small fee to square them up and run them through a sanding machine.) This also gives you the ability to cover wire runs to down lighting LED's and Video wiring. Do this by routing the back edge of the shelf with a cove bit and do the same for the vertical 2 x 2 where necessary. Thus you can turn the existing wall into a custom feature wall with out having to rip anything out.
October 31, 2012 at 3:22pm   
ceilsan32
If this is a mountain home, why not try recycled barn shelving? Or, try an architectural salvage site and look for old tables/benches that could be cut into shelves/
October 31, 2012 at 3:31pm     
Robin Seefahrt
you could add some shelves or a bench to the sides, even stick the tv there too. Add a mantel piece with decor or picture to warm the area up.
October 31, 2012 at 6:04pm   

I think the wall is great. Do not take into account the wood ceilings in this picture, but do look at the chunky white mantel and the big contemporary lights. I would have two cushions covered with a RL look fabric for seats on either side. Install faux beams up on the ceiling to continue the wood feel. Maybe something other than wall to wall?
October 31, 2012 at 6:14pm     
deboeahmae
Go with Judyg, it's timeless and beautiful . I would love to sit and read in here and have friends over.
October 31, 2012 at 6:27pm   
Deejay Trife
The wood flooring isn't your problem...it's everything around it.

I would recommend floating glass shelves or glass shelves with some sleek, modern shelving brackets.

Once you add the shelves you should change that lighting fixture, because it's killing you! Also try some pure white on that ceiling. (I recently painted my bedroom light gray and despite the walls being clean and new, the ceiling wasnt, and it killed everything and i ended up overhauling the whole room - so don't neglect the ceiling)
October 31, 2012 at 7:05pm     
Natalie
Pics for inspiration---benches with storage underneath on either side of the fireplace-shelves-stone fireplace with mantel---concealed electronic components... CheerS!
[houzz=Glamorous Family Room][houzz=Woodinville Retreat][houzz=Theater Room]
October 31, 2012 at 7:08pm     
Christa Somerville_Chase
Love Natalie's ideas
October 31, 2012 at 7:22pm     
melibd

Search the houzz site for fireplaces/TV's, Above is one that I have in my idea book. Or just check my ideabook out, I have a lot in there

Since this is quite a large project....IF that is a popcorn ceiling, I would look into have it scraped and a knockdown technique put on it. It might not be in the budget, could be expensive with the height of your ceilings.
November 1, 2012 at 6:01am   
sluggodog
You can also go on to Pinterest and do a search on Fireplaces. I do like the idea of the benches on either side with storeage, but no where to put electronics - even if you did do the floating shelves you will have unsightly wires showing. Here are a couple more built in shelving ideas. If you go with all open shelving, there is an art to making the shelves look good and not cluttered.
November 1, 2012 at 6:32am   
lisagraveline
Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. I really appreciate it! Let me clarify a few things. On either side of the fireplace, there is a bench--one for firewood storage and the other holds venting. Since the fireplace will be refaced in a stone (neutral colors, since I'm trying my best NOT to bring out any more orange from the oak flooring on the walls), my main question for the sides of the fireplace is: What type of shelving (and where do I purchase) should I use to break up the orange oak on the wall? I do not want to re-stain or paint. Another issue--we need to hide all the cords that are associated with our cable and other electronics. Yes, this is our mountain home and we do want to keep it very rustic looking. I don't think glass shelving will work with the motif. I would like to hang salvaged barn wood shelves that are pretty thick. Comments?
November 1, 2012 at 6:42am   
pjcham
I agree with you - I would not add glass shelving if you want to retain the rustic feel. It sounds like you dislike the "orange" oak on the floor and wall. Instead of trying to downplay it, you might reconsider having it restained to a color you love. I have found that if you try to decorate around something you don't like you'll never be happy no matter how much time or money you pour into it. I also agree that the ceiling fan needs to be replaced with something substantial in size and rustic in style.
November 1, 2012 at 8:20am   
Joanna Zygo
its not THAT awful...the wall isn't a problem, you can create a chalet-like feel of this space by adding modern furniture, fixtures &fittings and keep the wall...It can look stunning! Will try to search & upload some pictures for inspiration later...
November 1, 2012 at 8:43am   
Split Rock Associates Inc.
The space could really use a new flooring solution. What about tile/stone with an attractive area carpet. Think about keeping the wood paneling on either side of the new stone fireplace but applying a pickled finish to rusticate and add some subtle color. Shelving could be a metal, industrial-style look that would complement the rest of the room and feel correct in terms of finish and vintage. Add seat cushions to the two bench areas and coordinate with your carpet and furniture. These small changes would creat a completedly new look and feel to the room.
November 1, 2012 at 9:19am   
calikym
What about painting the outer sides black or staining and then adding some white marble to modernize it? I really like the wood but it just needs to be modernized if you are not going for the cabin feel. :)
November 1, 2012 at 9:19am   
Robin Seefahrt
Yes, i'd keep the modern look. downplay the electronics to the side{ they're not that ugly anyway] and highlight the emphasis on the fireplace.
November 1, 2012 at 9:28am   
Robin Seefahrt
November 1, 2012 at 9:28am   
Natalie
The pics I previously posted for inspiration show how the electronics can be concealed. As for the wood on each side of the fireplace, I think it should be lighter than whatever stone you choose for the FP. . Personally I'd love to see the wood weathered and worn since it's in a rustic setting and the fireplace black stone OR keep the wood as is and make the FP facade look weathered, worn, and rusted as in the last pic. You really have lots of options-that wall is massive-it must make a statement---a GREAT one! Hope this info is helpful. Looking forward to seeing your room evolve. Several pics for inspiration-materials, colors, textures.
[houzz=Woodside Residence][houzz=The Olivers House][houzz=Quaker Bluff Residence][houzz=New Moon Cottage][houzz=Kitchen][houzz=Magnifico Residence][houzz=Fazan Vacation Home]
November 1, 2012 at 12:26pm   
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
November 1, 2012 at 12:29pm     
Must have liked that built-in for TV - I was unaware until it posted I had selected it twice - liked the stone and wood look -
November 1, 2012 at 12:31pm   
lsullivan712
If your wanting to do a natural stone, I would pick that out first, then you could base your shelving on the colors in the stone, going darker than the wall. You could use a chunky look, but have the shelves hollow on the inside to hide your cords. I would add a removable cushion to each side in a rustic type material ( cowhide would really be gorgeous!) I think at some point you may want to think about refreshing the ceiling paint, maybe adding some extra beams, and going with a dark chunky wood flooring or even stained concrete. Let us know what you decide
November 1, 2012 at 12:41pm   
myfriendsclosets
wow. why would someone do that?
November 1, 2012 at 9:25pm   
Joanna Zygo
I wouldn't do anything with this wood -don't restain it, don't paint it. I like the pictures from Paradise Restored - that's kind of atmosphere I was talking about - mountain home feel...Wood goes well with white, beige, black, dark brown, some grey and color accents. I just want to upload some pictures as an inspiration - mountain homes with wood interiors don't have to be old-fashioned, outdated - wood goes with modern, even chic without letting go of its rustic charm...
November 2, 2012 at 7:10am   
Joanna Zygo
more photos...
November 2, 2012 at 7:12am   
Joanna Zygo
some more...
November 2, 2012 at 7:15am   
Joanna Zygo
& more...
November 2, 2012 at 7:17am   
Joanna Zygo
that's it...you "get the picture" :-)
November 2, 2012 at 7:20am   
Antique Building Materials, Inc.
If budget is a concern, you could try sanding the surface to the point a stain may be applied. A darker stain such as a Walnut or Provencial stain from Minn Wax may provide an acceptable appearance. Another option would to either install horizontal boards of 7-8" wide. I would recommend antique white pine, with two coats of hand rubbed, pure tung oil (not the tung oil from the big box stores). This creates an incredible warm, honey brown, such as the color on the island top on my site. If you selected new pine, or other new wood species, make sure to order "clear" grade wood. Large knots would look terrible and negate your efforts.
Good luck,
Fletcher
November 2, 2012 at 7:33am   
Joanna Zygo
Shelving from the same wood as the wall, cut to size? Custom made storage for media that hides the cables behind (shelving not completely touching the back allowing for cables to be connected...Consider some doors on the right for example to hide some of cabelling/electrical socket? Otherwise laminate having "marble effect" or sth like this in a light color.
November 2, 2012 at 7:41am   
Joanna Zygo
Ok, this is a really crazy idea...if nothing else, then...put some nice art on the benches (easy removable) hang sth "rustic" above a fireplace (I don't like animal heads but sth round made from forest stuuf as decoration) Then make the tv area somewhere else...To have one cozy fireplace corner and separate tv corner, if space allows.
November 2, 2012 at 7:45am   
Leaf Design Studio
I would consider staining the wood to a darker color of stain and then adding stone to the fireplace. Good luck!
November 2, 2012 at 7:46am   
nasmijati
I would have the fireplace wall sanded just enough to have it professionally re-stained in a color of your choice. A very large framed poster of a view of a spot in one of the USA's National Parks would look nice above the fireplace.

Clean up the ceiling, it looks very dingy in the photos.

I would put the television on a different wall. Put it in a console/credenza type piece of furniture. All the cables can go inside the furniture.

Ideas for rustic interiors can be found at Houzz in the Idea Book "So your style is Rustic", Crow's Nest catalog, and the Woodland Creek Furniture company website.
November 2, 2012 at 9:13am   
Joanne Jean
I agree with some other comments, the wall is not the main problem. If you stain it you could make it a feature if you changed the flooring, lighting, furniture etc... and remove the boxes at the bottom.
November 2, 2012 at 5:04pm   
Joanne Jean
November 2, 2012 at 5:05pm   
Joanne Jean
November 2, 2012 at 5:05pm   
Need help finding wall color to compliment red oak natural flooring
We are in need of help choosing the right wall color....
Wall paint to go with oak floors & oak cabinets (oak overload)?
Just discovered hardwood oak floors under our linoleum...
WHITE OAK flooring -- RED OAK stairs HELP!!! I am mortified!!!
I selected 4" white oak hardwood flooring, stairs and...
Painting my kitchen cabinets
I have brown walls and taupe subway tile backsplash...
Looking for Wallpaper
Does anyone know where this wallpaper is from or were...
How would you spend $10,000 in your garden?
If you had a windfall, where would your money go in...
Dining Chair Question
Hi there! We have a chunky mango wood dining table...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...