Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casiopea

Need help to decorate my terrace

casiopea
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We have a 54m2 terrace (I think it's about 581 ft2) and no idea how to make it look nice. It has sand color stone flooring, sand color gravel and concrete low walls around it and simple Ikea furniture and geisha style parasol to complete the bad look. We wanted to make it look like a Spanish patio or Asian style or country French but we haven't got far. We are in Switzerland with bad weather, rain and snow quite often so we rather go for plants without flowers and winter resistant. Any ideas please? It looks like this since 2010 and I want to get it done for next Spring!

Comments (11)

• Darzy
    11 years ago
    Treat it like an indoor space. Divide and conquor! Use outdoor area rugs to ground each space and add plenty of colorful pots of flowers for color and natures beauty. You need to pick a style. You mentioned Spanish, Asian or French country! whew. Asian would be nice but will require the most maintenance for the "zen" feel. But, you could put sand where the rocks are and add larger rocks and get a rake to make zen designs in the sand. But for zen, the boxwood will need to be meticulously trimmed.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I agree, try to divide it into different zones and create focal points while adding privacy with vegetation and landscape features.

Dining Space · More Info
  • lireese
    11 years ago
    Depending on your budget, you could add an outdoor fireplace. If your wind usually comes from one direction, this could also be a wind block.
  • Christina H
    11 years ago
    Your climate is very different from country France or Spain so you won't be able to really get that look. Buy a bigger table. You could build a wood deck in half the area to divide the space. If you have the money, buy three trees and out one in the corner and two in the middle to make the space more intimate. A fire pit is a good idea. You can then buy a lot of wood and stack it, which will create architectural interest as well. Terraces look better when they are full.
  • calidesign
    11 years ago
    Is the house in the background yours or your neighbors? If it is a neighbor, the first thing is to plant trees/shrubs that will offer privacy. Maybe the types that will grow well there will help determine what style to decorate with afterward.
  • harydyn
    11 years ago
    Assuming the house in the background is a neighbor's, they appear to have a columnar evergreen growing well at the corner of their house. Find out what it is (since we know it's suited to your climate) and plant your existing gravel area with several for privacy. Plaster (Spanish or French), paint, or face with wood planks (Asia) the low cement wall. A simple graphic design in the theme of your choice, painted on your existing patio, would work in lieu of area rugs and add weatherproof interest. A freestanding pergola, fountain or firepit (again with the theme of your choice) with adjacent benches would provide additional seating and a focal point. Bench cushions and pergola drapes can reflect your theme. Group a few LARGE pots for color and seasonal flowers. Good luck - you have a great space!
  • casiopea
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I like the idea of dividing spaces. I probably will do something like the picture. The empty side is for a day bed, outdoor sofas or something of that sort. The house in the background is our neighbors but it isn't as close as it looks. The plants in between belong to our building and aren't nice at all but we can't remove them or plant something else because they are common property. We can't put much trees because we will block the sun light in the house. In Switzerland you can't put whatever you want in your own terrace without having your neighbors complaining so no big items outside. We are not even allow to cover the surrounding wall but I don't care about that one. This is the country of rules :s We were also thinking about the outdoor fireplace idea but we need something small. Thanks to all of you again :)
  • chindowney
    11 years ago
    SoCal Greetings-

You've received several good suggestions. I'd just like to add a couple suggestions-

1. Outdoor carpets which can be stored over winter can help you divide the spaces.

2. A gas or wood fed firepit would be nice, Maybe a square or rectangular one with sides high enough to serve as occasional seating and a removable top which could provide safety and protection over the winter months and as an occasional "coffee table". If not ready for a firepit, a contemporary fire bowl (with lid) could accomplish the same.

3. The wall needs attention...paint, stucco, veneer... something similar to the image you appended.

4. I can't discern the height or width of the gravel area but maybe a few LARGE and colorful (?) planters with some colorful vertical perennials and cascading annuals.

5. If you enjoy gardening a DRESSY potting bench any maybe a small raised herb garden could be be fun and attractive. A vertical screen on the back side of such a planting area could support summer veggies OR flowering vines and conceal objects you want out of view.

6. If outdoor storage is an issue (it is ALWAYS an issue with me) I'd strongly recommend some benches with LARGE ventilated storage spaces below big enough for your outdoor carpets, cushions, umbrella and other items you want close at hand.

7. Since you mentioned the umbrella, I'm a huge fan of the newer large ones with the offset bases which allow you to put the shade wherever/whenever you want..

8. Assuming that the terrace is all one level you might consider building up one or two areas to accentuate different aspects. Nothing too high, just a step or two up from the existing surface using tile or wood or whatever....
  • Elise
    11 years ago
    Casiopea,
    Since you know about the many regulations in Switzerland, perhaps you also know about the plant protections they have? Definitely sit down and work with a landscape architect to understand what your are dealing with and what you can and cannot do/plant. Some of the restrictions could also prevent you from planting non-native plants as well. You may have neighborhood restrictions as mentioned about the common area plantings as well.

Because of the extremes in temperature and altitudes, many of the plants will also be smaller and slow-growing. You may have to consider purchasing fuller, more mature plants to have real impact on your terrace, meaning larger expense upfront for greater satisfaction and less maintenance later. Have you determined a budget; do you need lower budget options?

Walk around and talk to your neighbors, garden associations and nurseries to find out what will work in your location and at your altitude. Perhaps there is a "plant sharing" program available, or a government sponsored "native plant" program that could be a resource for you. A local extension service at a nearby university (agricultural) may be able to help you.

Look at the second site listed to see what you can do with green vines and a cabled trellis system to grow vines that can provide privacy and shade for your terrace.

http://www.ch.ch/private/00070/00071/00506/00531/index.html?lang=en

http://livingroofs.org/20101027247/the-grant-column/greening-facades-with-climbing-plants-in-switzerland.html
  • deepasheth
    11 years ago
    We made beautiful al fresco dinning in our terrace!it's become beautiful.we covered half terrace with glass roof and walls,so it feels under the sky in starry night a d rainy afternoons wonderful .