To move or not move the sink
maria110
I am doing a complete reno of this kitchen and wanting to know if there would be any problems in moving the sink completely to the other side. Both walls are interior walls in between 2 apartments. The room is 12 feet across by 14.5 feet long. The back wall is the wall of the bathroom. Do you need a whole new vent pipe or do you tap into the original one or the bathroom one? Will there be any water pressure issues?
carolannr
I see that you also have electricity and heating in that wall - I think your best bet is get an appraisal of what you want done by licensed and experience plumber. There could be definite problems doing what you want and you can count on it being pretty expensive - this is definitely NOT a do-it yourself job!!
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 5:34PM
nevadan
Don't get an appraisal but get an estimate. In fact, get three estimates from three contractors.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 5:47PM
carolannr
Contractors are not necessarily knowledgable enough to know what is involved even if they are licensed carpenters. A plumber is who you need to talk to.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 7:02PM
Linda
In our area, each fixture must have its own vent. You can tie them together but you need at least at least 42 inches above the drain before you can join them. Venting is actually trickier than drains and not all plumbers truly understand it as well as they might lead you to believe. If the new location is back-to-back with the bathroom, you should have access to make the necessary connections, but you're going to have to tear into the wall to do the work. If the venting isn't right, the sink won't drain properly.
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 7:46PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Are you sure you can get to an adequately sized drain when you move it and can you tap into water supply lines?
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 7:55PM
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Do you mind if I ask Why? Have you looked at design options and this is cost effective and/or ?
1 Like   October 31, 2012 at 8:01PM
Mint Design
I agree with Joanne....why would you do this?
I do recommend radiant heat if it is feasible since you are doing a complete renovation....get rid of the baseboard heat. :)
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 8:05PM
maria110
The reason I would like to move the sink is that it was the only way to give me the layout that I liked which is: the whole kitchen would be against that wall - pantry, cupboards, stove, dishwasher, sink and fridge all in one clean line. Then, that would allow for a 4 foot long by 3foot wide island with a 5foot long table connected to it (but not attached). The kitchen would be 2 clean lines with lots of open space. If I leave the sink where it is then I would need to use the back wall for the pantry and fridge and that would only leave me room for a table or an island but not both and I really like the look of both.

Everything will be renovated including the bathroom, so tearing the walls won't be major.

The apartment to the right is a mirror image of this aparment i.e. the wall with the stove in my apartment is the wall with the stove in that apartment. The apartment to the left which shares the wall that has my sink is not a mirror image however it does share the wall where that apartment has their washer hookup.

As much as I prefer the layout with the sink moved, I won't do it if it's opening a can of worms and will cause headaches down the road and cost over $1000 to do. I appreciate all your best advice on this and if it's truly not a good idea please let me know.

I like the idea of the radiant heating - will this eliminate the need for any baseboard? I've been told I would still need to have a baseboard.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 8:33PM
Mint Design
I cannot imagine it costing under $1000 but get estimates...I could be totally wrong about that! :)
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 9:00PM
mmonika
Moving a sink is a big endeavor, and not a in-expensive one. You need new water connections, new drainage and very likely, new venting. While its good to tackle it while all the walls are down, consider if the lemon is worth the squeeze. If it is, go for it now.
0 Likes   October 31, 2012 at 10:36PM
Corinne Madias
estimates and budget will decide it for you.Then I would weigh the cost of the move with the cost of putting the money on an amazing appliance or lighting(both things you can easily take with you). A good designer can make something so beautiful you wont care where the sink is.Imagine gasping with joy everytime you walk in your kitchen?Will the sink move do that for you?2 cents.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 10:34AM
Aggie Purvinska
It will definitely be more costly to move the sink than not to move the sink. You should absolutely consult a plumber to see if it can be done, but the chances are even a plumber will need to open a wall and a floor to see where the drain is and how the current sink is vented. If you are already spending money on the remodel, getting exactly what you want (the layout) is important, get an estimate and see if there is something else in your budget that you could cut. For example, skip upscale appliances if you are not a die hard cook, etc.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 10:54AM
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Well, I feel it's great that you have thought this through and have a plan. If you are planning to completely gut and replace then your overall budget must be $25 - $60 for new kitchen and bathroom, furniture, appliances etc.
I have had toilets moved to make the room work effectively so I do understand. If you have the budget then make sure you have a reputable contractor. I assume you own the building/house.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 11:59AM
Jennifer Moslander
I just had a plumber give me an estimate to move my kitchen sink approx. 15 ft. He said it would be around $4500!! So now I really need to consider if it will be worth it - the difference between loving my new kitchen or feeling like I've settled.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 12:10PM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
That's about what I would have expected.
0 Likes   November 1, 2012 at 12:13PM
Can I move a kitchen sink in an upstairs condo?
I want to move my kitchen sink but I'm getting mixed...
tamarance
thinking of moving the shower out into open room and separating sinks
master bath remodel in a 17'x7' space. removed the...
jeffborchert
New House Kitchen-Move Sink to Island
Our kitchen plan shows the sink on the back wall of...
jmcib
Want to move sink off island. Any ideas?
I'm thinking to where stove is but where should I put...
johnyrelaxi
need help with a outside dead wall
We are almost finished building our new house and we...
kevinhitge
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
stryker
Massage chairs
Massage chairs. Awesome but can they ever look good...
shelleydaoust
Hate my new granite!!! This whole process has been a nightmare :(
I'm really trying not to get so worked up about this,...
mhaber22
Mobile homes
Why are new mobile homes so dated when tiny homes can...
dallasgraduate