To move or not move the sink
maria110
I am doing a complete reno of this kitchen and wanting to know if there would be any problems in moving the sink completely to the other side. Both walls are interior walls in between 2 apartments. The room is 12 feet across by 14.5 feet long. The back wall is the wall of the bathroom. Do you need a whole new vent pipe or do you tap into the original one or the bathroom one? Will there be any water pressure issues?
carolannr
I see that you also have electricity and heating in that wall - I think your best bet is get an appraisal of what you want done by licensed and experience plumber. There could be definite problems doing what you want and you can count on it being pretty expensive - this is definitely NOT a do-it yourself job!!
October 31, 2012 at 5:34pm   
nevadan
Don't get an appraisal but get an estimate. In fact, get three estimates from three contractors.
October 31, 2012 at 5:47pm   
carolannr
Contractors are not necessarily knowledgable enough to know what is involved even if they are licensed carpenters. A plumber is who you need to talk to.
October 31, 2012 at 7:02pm   
Linda
In our area, each fixture must have its own vent. You can tie them together but you need at least at least 42 inches above the drain before you can join them. Venting is actually trickier than drains and not all plumbers truly understand it as well as they might lead you to believe. If the new location is back-to-back with the bathroom, you should have access to make the necessary connections, but you're going to have to tear into the wall to do the work. If the venting isn't right, the sink won't drain properly.
October 31, 2012 at 7:46pm     
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Are you sure you can get to an adequately sized drain when you move it and can you tap into water supply lines?
October 31, 2012 at 7:55pm   
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Do you mind if I ask Why? Have you looked at design options and this is cost effective and/or ?
October 31, 2012 at 8:01pm     
Mint Design
I agree with Joanne....why would you do this?
I do recommend radiant heat if it is feasible since you are doing a complete renovation....get rid of the baseboard heat. :)
October 31, 2012 at 8:05pm   
maria110
The reason I would like to move the sink is that it was the only way to give me the layout that I liked which is: the whole kitchen would be against that wall - pantry, cupboards, stove, dishwasher, sink and fridge all in one clean line. Then, that would allow for a 4 foot long by 3foot wide island with a 5foot long table connected to it (but not attached). The kitchen would be 2 clean lines with lots of open space. If I leave the sink where it is then I would need to use the back wall for the pantry and fridge and that would only leave me room for a table or an island but not both and I really like the look of both.

Everything will be renovated including the bathroom, so tearing the walls won't be major.

The apartment to the right is a mirror image of this aparment i.e. the wall with the stove in my apartment is the wall with the stove in that apartment. The apartment to the left which shares the wall that has my sink is not a mirror image however it does share the wall where that apartment has their washer hookup.

As much as I prefer the layout with the sink moved, I won't do it if it's opening a can of worms and will cause headaches down the road and cost over $1000 to do. I appreciate all your best advice on this and if it's truly not a good idea please let me know.

I like the idea of the radiant heating - will this eliminate the need for any baseboard? I've been told I would still need to have a baseboard.
October 31, 2012 at 8:33pm   
Mint Design
I cannot imagine it costing under $1000 but get estimates...I could be totally wrong about that! :)
October 31, 2012 at 9:00pm   
mmonika
Moving a sink is a big endeavor, and not a in-expensive one. You need new water connections, new drainage and very likely, new venting. While its good to tackle it while all the walls are down, consider if the lemon is worth the squeeze. If it is, go for it now.
October 31, 2012 at 10:36pm   
Corinne Madias
estimates and budget will decide it for you.Then I would weigh the cost of the move with the cost of putting the money on an amazing appliance or lighting(both things you can easily take with you). A good designer can make something so beautiful you wont care where the sink is.Imagine gasping with joy everytime you walk in your kitchen?Will the sink move do that for you?2 cents.
November 1, 2012 at 10:34am   
Aggie Purvinska
It will definitely be more costly to move the sink than not to move the sink. You should absolutely consult a plumber to see if it can be done, but the chances are even a plumber will need to open a wall and a floor to see where the drain is and how the current sink is vented. If you are already spending money on the remodel, getting exactly what you want (the layout) is important, get an estimate and see if there is something else in your budget that you could cut. For example, skip upscale appliances if you are not a die hard cook, etc.
November 1, 2012 at 10:54am   
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Well, I feel it's great that you have thought this through and have a plan. If you are planning to completely gut and replace then your overall budget must be $25 - $60 for new kitchen and bathroom, furniture, appliances etc.
I have had toilets moved to make the room work effectively so I do understand. If you have the budget then make sure you have a reputable contractor. I assume you own the building/house.
November 1, 2012 at 11:59am   
Jennifer Moslander
I just had a plumber give me an estimate to move my kitchen sink approx. 15 ft. He said it would be around $4500!! So now I really need to consider if it will be worth it - the difference between loving my new kitchen or feeling like I've settled.
November 1, 2012 at 12:10pm   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
That's about what I would have expected.
November 1, 2012 at 12:13pm   
Can I move a kitchen sink in an upstairs condo?
I want to move my kitchen sink but I'm getting mixed...
New House Kitchen-Move Sink to Island
Our kitchen plan shows the sink on the back wall of...
Want to move sink off island. Any ideas?
I'm thinking to where stove is but where should I put...
Need help for removing dinning room and kitchen wall ???
My husband is thinking to remove right side wall to...
Small kitchen with low window
I'd like to get some opinions for cabinets and countertops...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Need ideas for a modern style front porch/seating area.
My wife and I recently purchased our first home!!!!!...