Help with trim!
aclark900
November 1, 2012 in Design Dilemma
This picture is my daughters room with the window seat and decorative wood valence. Need suggestions for the seam: where the wood meets the wall. Would you put a small 1" decorative trim piece? The problem is the top of it meets the crown molding?? Or, does it need anything at all? Would love some feedback!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Really doesn't look like it needs anything from your photo but if up close it doesn't look finished, then yes, a small decorative moulding could be applied to cover the seams. Install it on both sides and across the top just under the crown.
November 1, 2012 at 8:51am   
creeser
Here's a photo that reminds me a bit of your window seat. The cornice is blended into the crown moulding and then more moulding brought down the sides of the seating area. Maybe just adding the moulding to the sides would bring it all together.
[houzz=
]
November 1, 2012 at 8:58am     
nasmijati
Three ideas:
I would put moulding around the opening as if I was framing a door - both sides and just under the crown moulding.

Alternatively, or in addition, I would install a curtain rod just under the crown moulding, and hang floor to ceiling draperies. Make the rod long enough so the curtains do not cover the window opening by more than one inch.

I would put a narrow decorative moulding on the sides and across the top under the crown moulding.
November 1, 2012 at 9:14am   
nevadan
Take down that cornice and use a curtain that is feminine looking. Upolster the woindow seat.
November 1, 2012 at 10:03am   
nasmijati
It seems to me that the cornice overpowers the small space. I am attaching photos from Houzz. I went to photos and entered "child's bedroom window seat."
In the first photo, notice that the short cornice is bumped out to accommodate draperies.
In the second photo, notice that the cornice is back against the window instead of lined up with the wall of the room.
In the third photo, notice the trim work around the window and short cornice, and the addition of draperies.
In the last photo, notice the short cornice exposes the top of the window frame, and has moulding on the top and sides.
November 1, 2012 at 1:33pm     
Aja Mazin
yes, it does.
February 12, 2013 at 11:50pm