Should I hone or polish our statuary marble for island and backsplash?
betsytx
I would love to have comments on whether to polish or hone for our island. we have white satin cabinets being installed, with black mineral soapstone as counter. The backsplash to that will be solid pieces of the marble. On the island it is mahogany stain, marble will be on this. Floors are DuChateau Walnut oiled matte plank, smooth. There is not a lot of "shine" except for some glass in a side cabinet for glasses and china. I have designed the kitchen around my Italian pottery. Would you go honed, the Italian style, or polished to give some shine. It seems like honed MIGHT be less maintenance. It will be sealed well.
Thank you for your comments!
BeautifulRemodel.com
Hi betsytx,

I personally love honed marble, and if its used frequently the polished with have a natural honed look over time from wear and tear anyway! Except of course, the wear wont be uniform in that case.

I also like a balance of textures in most of my projects, so the honing would add a subtle look to balance the polish of the other items you'll have such as glass and appliances

Steve
November 1, 2012 at 12:38pm   
Aggie Purvinska
Honed will look so much more sophisticated..
November 1, 2012 at 12:39pm   
Stoneshop
I would go with honed as well. This way, when spills or stains do occur & you attempt to remove them, your marble will not etch. The surface will remain nice & even over time, instead of seeing a polished area next to a dull area. A honed surface actually requires more maintenance because it is more porous, but it is worth it in the long run.

Also, remember to re-seal your marble every year or so to keep it looking beautiful!
November 1, 2012 at 12:42pm   
betsytx
I guess HONED is the vote! that was my original thought then started second guessing myself! Do you think a solid honed piece will look good as the back splash?
November 1, 2012 at 2:38pm     
olldcan
I think honed for the Island and black splash will be stunning.
November 1, 2012 at 2:42pm   
Stoneshop
Yes, honed will look lovely for the backsplash as well. I personally love full marble backsplashes--they always look very classy and sophisticated.
November 2, 2012 at 7:31am     
Help needed in updating the look of the exterior of this house
As seen from the picture this is a really old house....
Total overhaul!
Hi, I'm thinking of redecorating this 1960's London...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Update red brick fireplace
What would you do to update this fireplace quick and...