Need help choosing color(s)
missk23
Considering buying this home but hate the exterior. What would you suggest for new colors that go well with a brown roof? I was thinking of painting the siding and brick a creamy white, and then the trim either a grey-green color or even a deep blue. Thoughts? I really don't like brown!
taylorbrandenburg
I like the exterior......awk
November 2, 2012 at 11:49am   
hellojudy
I know it's not very helpful, but I like the exterior too! From the picture, the roof looks almost like it has a redish cast to it? I think the creamy white you are considering would look nice.
November 2, 2012 at 11:59am   
intoit
Don't buy it.
November 2, 2012 at 12:11pm   
lsullivan712
If you like the interior and everything else, than simple cosmetics shouldn't keep you from buying the house. I have seen where they do a dark cream, almost tan, with rust colored accents and it is gorgeous! I think that would be very nice, there was a picture under exteriors that had a similar color scheme, you should look on here for insperation.
November 2, 2012 at 12:37pm   
lsullivan712
Something like this
November 2, 2012 at 12:39pm   
tallyhill
lipstick on a pig...ack
November 2, 2012 at 1:02pm   
Keep shopping!
November 2, 2012 at 1:05pm   
By Design EK
You are going to be stuck with the brown roof so sticking with earth tones would probably be best. I would leave the brick alone for now, it has a nice soft peach glow, even though I don't typically like brick, and go with blue/grey or soft grey/greens.
November 2, 2012 at 1:18pm     
alwaysdesigning
type in "brown roof " on Houzz browser, filter choosing Exterior, and see all the options. I can see some very nice looking combinations in there. I think creamy white (not bright white) will be one of your choices; a very soft sage or tan will work nicely. The battens seem distracting; I would paint them the house color to unify it all. Good luck
[houzz=Guida Residence]
[houzz=Exterior 1]

or see this house where the trim and windows and door match the roof; the rest of the house is one color
[houzz=Pulp Design Studios]

this is a very pleasing color scheme
[houzz=Traditional Exterior]

dark espresso brown trim
[houzz=Exterior 2]

the neutral sage exterior with a much darker accent brown for the entry and the garage doors only because they are a very nice upgrade and balance the house; otherwise I prefer garage doors the same color as the siding to blend in
[houzz=Exterior 3]
November 2, 2012 at 2:47pm     
Ruth Nicholson
PLEASE don't paint the brick. That will drop the value of the house and it will constantly need repainting. Someday the roof will need to be redone and you can change the colour to something other than brown. For now I would suggest painting the doors of the house and garage and any other brown trim (other than the eves troughs) to a dark moss colour ...something like Farrow & Ball's "Calke green". See http://us.farrow-ball.com/calke-green///fcp-product/100034 i.e. something that would go better with the stone and would make the stone colour pop, rather than the roof.
November 3, 2012 at 6:51am   
anewpennameandthata
You love the house in your heart? Does it feel like you are coming home when you drive up to it? What do you physically feel, in your chest and stomach, when you approach it? Don't know. Pay attention next time.

So, if you do love the house, but didnt make it sound like you did...

I would consider painting the whole front the colour you mentioned. It will take the texture/contrast out of the area and make it match and be more coherent. "Lipstic on a pig" is WAY to harsh. You will have a nice big house on a nice big block of land - that's great!

I havn't put much thought into the colour, btw.
November 3, 2012 at 7:50am   
anewpennameandthata
Ruth reckond, "don't paint the brick". Ok, then, paint the rest brick colour...
November 3, 2012 at 7:51am   
Windermere Real Estate
Great House, with much too much going on. The Body of the House shoudl be earthy, if you go too light, it will not be grounded, and the roof will appear to be floating in the clouds. Facia and eves should be darker, with a hue of the roof, architecturally, the roof lines should be accented and going darker, and close to the roof color will beef up those architectural lines of the Home. In regards to the body, leave the brick around the front door wall, and possibly do a darker bady color ( not too dark ) the batt boards on the wall above the garage should be painted body color, none of the trim or garage door should be accented, the lines of the roof, and grand entry should the highlights here. The Home does need a landscape to match the style of the Home, structure is important and the bed leading to the front door should have structure. The Wall to the right of the bed ( facing the street ) would be nice with an espailiered tree of some sort. Tony Vaughn
November 3, 2012 at 7:52am   
Graham Donnell
The problem is there is not enough windows in this particular house... Too much wall. My only suggestion would be to darken the house 2 level darker the. The stone and them lighten the garage door but also change the garage door to one with windows
November 3, 2012 at 8:28am   
beattieboggs
I like the house a lot. It has a French look to it. A thought.....what about making a beautiful entrance way as the door seems to want a bit more attention?
November 3, 2012 at 11:39am   
lydia123
I wouldn't change a thing and I wouldn't do anything that added future maintenance costs (i.e. painting a finish that wasn't meant to be painted). I think the warm brick means you shouldn't go with the cool tones you are thinking about (never paint the brick). Put your money on the inside.
November 4, 2012 at 4:51am   
Schroeder Design Group, NCIDQ, Licensed
In my opinion, the brown vertical trim is distracting and takes away from what is supposed to be or should be the focal point - the brick entrance. It's like 2 different houses, a Tudor wannabe and a more current style. Even the heavy brown garage door is distracting and takes away from the entrance. Often, more neutral colors work best on large planes on and in a house. All I see from the distance of the photo are brown vertical lines. And even the rain gutters, maybe in a more neutral color closely matched to the brick, or a bit deeper...hard to really see the photo but those are my thoughts. Painting brick looks to me, like a chipped nightmare over time.
November 4, 2012 at 5:47am   
mcgrew56
Seems like there is a French theme going on with the corners of the house, then and abrupt turn of styles to English tudor with that brown vertical trim over the garage area. I too, would paint those boards the same as the background color. If you can swing the expense of a wood-faced garage door--or one that looks like that, would be a major improvement. The one thing that really stands out to me immediately when I look at the picture is that I think there should be a much more substantial front door surround...you nearly loose the front door entirely with all those textures & styles going on. But I still think there's lots of hope for it gaining more curb appeal. Don't paint the brick, and maybe go with shades in the carmel-colored tones with creamy accents (except for that vertical trim--which needs to be either removed, or be painted the same color as the background)!
November 4, 2012 at 6:50am   
jvwaddy
EVERY BODY HAS AN OPINION! so here is mine ...
Painting the brick is a great. the french country look could be achieved by doing a mortar wash on the brick if you don't want to paint. Paint the 1/2 timbered look the color of the body of the house.( make it disappear.
Then you could accent everything in a dark bluegreengrey color and add some Berrmuda shuttters and a louvered garage door, Also change the front door out for a pair of custom mahogany French 3 or four lite doors, close the side lite windows and install some hinged shutters with shutter dogs and a great copper Lantern over the door with a mustash bracket. Then train a smilax vine over the garage door as well as the front door.
November 4, 2012 at 7:46am   
cyn222
Dark color on garage is all I see.
November 4, 2012 at 8:43pm   
loishapi
Overwhelming collage of incompatible pieces arguing among themselves. My approach would be to disguise this dysfunctional form by 'creating' the appearance of a unified design. The budget will determine design and materials - either way this house needs a new facade. Begin with the roof - and simplify - maximum 3 shades including roof. Unify window style - a good investment; strip the bric-a-brac. Align the eavestrough color with the roof. The brown has to go - all of it! If the roof stays everything under it must lighten,however, the trim could be black - black works best with (dated) yellow brick. It's a costly enterprise - be sure you love everything else about this house, especially location. Good luck and thanks for sharing.
November 5, 2012 at 1:34am   
judygilpin
Just by painting the garage door the same creamy white color as the base of the house will make all the difference in the world. It appears the garage door has windows (or are those panels painted a light color?) If windows, I'd leave the trim around them in the dark brown to tie in with the trim on the rest of the house. This small, inexpensive update will take away the heavy look that the house now has. It's already a large home, but lightening that door will make it appear even larger.
November 5, 2012 at 4:23am     
Need help choosing paint color(s)
I just moved in to a home with an abnormally large...
Need help choosing wall paint color(s) for dining area of kitchen.
Work area of kitchen has white cupboards & appliances....
Need Help Choosing Exterior Paint Color(s)
We're in the process of getting our exterior painted...
Need help choosing kitchen paint color(s?)
We are remodeling! White cabinets, black quartz countertops,...
Need help choosing wall color and flooring in 50's retro kitchen
The kitchen opens to the living room and even though...
dining room
How should I decorate this dining room?
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Help! Narrow Living area with TV, Fireplace and Large windows
I am struggling with how to arrange this room now that...