Updating a fireplace - small opening, brick from floor to ceiling covering the wall

justinkrampNovember 3, 2012
We are in the process of purchasing a terrific fixer-upper with some great bones. The large living room has a high ceiling with beams, a floor-to-ceiling window at one end and a fireplace at the other.

I've attached a small, poorly lit picture from the listing (sorry!) that shows the fireplace end. We like the idea of the fireplace, but want to update the look. The opening is small and round, and the brick covers most of the wall all the way to the ceiling.

We were thinking maybe enlarge the opening and make it rectangular, but we're not sure what to do with the brick. We've seen other walls like this where the brick (or stone) is a much narrower strip of the wall, which looks more clean and contemporary.

We'll be painting and replacing the carpet with hardwoods, so there will be other updates here, but we're scratching our head with the fireplace.

Any recommendations or photos of similar projects would be appreciated!
momsy
I wonder if the fireplace situation is being made worse by the dark walls. What is your plans for them? I agree that the firebox is plenty small, but it may make a big hole in your wallet to change it. Not feeling the whimpy hearth either. Is there anything interesting under the carpet?

My to-do list: check under carpet for hardwood. Consider painting the walls a lighter color. Consider painting the ceiling rafters. Take down the mantle. Paint the brick wall. Tear out the hearth and install a piece of stone or marble flush with the floor and the width of the brick wall. Take your fire-box down to the floor level, then decide how much width it needs to balance. Not feeling that port-hole window, especially if you want to make your fire-box angular.
    Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 3:21PM
justinkramp
Hi Momsy. Yep we'll be painting walls, ceiling and beams. Likely something very light like a white or light gray. Floors will be hardwoods. The window will be updated at some point but probably not initially.
    Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 3:28PM
HI -- That is a great looking room . I would say that the fireplace does need an update .BUT please don't paint the beams ! Paint the walls and the ceiling the same color but leave the beams . They are the rooms character . I think if you can restyle the fireplace by elongateting the fire box and cladding it in some more modern ledge stone or tiles that would make the room more to your taste. It might be better to remove all the old panelling and then paint the walls and the ceiling all the same . I think if you did the new ledge stone on the fireplace and then maybe do the whole fireplace wall with the stone and don't have a mantel but have a small console cabinet on each side or free standing bookcases . Then have lamps and mirrors etc. for decor. Also remove that block hearth base and have nothing or have a new hearth base built right across that whole area.I prefer nothing.
    Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 5:45PM
janishill
Have you thought about white washing the brick and adding a shorter, but beefed up mantle?

Sometimes it is best to live with something for a while before you make changes. That is what I would do with the firebox. I would buy a heftier screen to hdisguise the size of the box until I had made a decision as to the best way to spend my money.

You could evenpaint a piece of plywood black and put it up to see how it would look if the firebox were larger.

You may enjoy seeing this: http://www.infarrantlycreative.net/2012/09/how-to-paint-a-brick-fireplace.html
1 Like    Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 5:51PM
springchicken41
I agree with painting/white washing the brick but that won't make the opening look larger. It is out of scale/proportion. I can see molding around it: either square or rectangle, or curved to match the shape of the opening but either way pretty thick to enlarge the appearance. And maybe set the molding a distance away from the opening.

If you paint the rest of the room all a light color, you could make it modern looking with chrome or steel surround instead of molding. The round window could be treated as a porthole. It would add a bit of whimsy and you wouldn't have to remove it.

Looking at the picture again, I think I'd remove the mantel and put a really big piece of art on the brick. We found vines in the woods that we wound into a huge wreath and put on the stone chimney. Some really funky art would be very edgy especially if you go modern.
    Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 7:02PM
safemommy
I have a similar dilemma and we are considering covering most of the fireplace with board and batten pained white, have a look at some pictures
    Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 10:17AM
Dar Eckert
old post
    Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 11:49AM
Gas Fireplace Insert for existing brick fireplace - modern
Our house was built in 1970, but has some features...
cmonge
Update brick fireplace?
I just bought this house and can't decide if the brick...
kdmalsam
Help with updating fireplace
We just purchased this house and am looking for ideas...
veradezine
Brick fireplace update/facelift
One entire wall of my tv/family room is dominated by...
Debbie Lennon
Need help in updating a brick fireplace
We have a large brick fireplace built in the 80's with...
macleod1
Mantle choice
Hello everyone, I really want to update my mantle....
brad
Small powder room needs help
I have a small 1/2 bath w/ sage green toilet and sink....
K&M Photography
kitchen layout
right now sink is on wall next to fridge and the stove/oven...
mommyshanti
Finishing my mint and grey bedroom
I put in a grey 'driftwood' laminate flooring in my...
viennah
Elliot Pergl