Would love some help with my living room - small beach house
Marcie
Hello, all advice welcome, please help a decorating and interior design illiterate. Am hoping to learn from Houzzers

Dimensions
Window = 7ft, 6in width by 7ft
Door frames = 2ft 6in width by 6ft 7in
Room 26ft by 11ft 28in
Chairs 3ft 5in by 3 ft 5in
Sofa 6ft by 3ft 5in

Just redecorated whole house using Barrister white and white gloss on trims. Would like to make house into hard wearing, relaxed beach house where I can have friends over for meals with enough room for to seat six.

Am not sure what rug to get, where to put TV, what pictures, tables, window treatments, lights, or where to place furniture. Have to stick with dark blue furniture you can see but am open to other suggestions. Am a bit minimalist and modern so would like house to remain clutter free but breezy and welcoming. Ignore garden, haven't got to that bit yet.

In pictures, front door opens into living room, dining area immediately on right as walk in, kitchen area, next on right as you walk in. One bedroom is off the living room as well.
Keeping the dark blue furniture should be just fine. Think surf, sand and sky - white, beige and blue. Do your accessories and rugs in these three colors and stay away from the expected beach house stuff - plaques of lobsters, ships wheels, ropes. Stuff like that.
November 3, 2012 at 6:17pm   
kath983
I recently decorated our beach condo on a budget. Items to consider are bowls or clear glass vases with found shells displayed. Sisal rug and woven baskets make a coastal feel. The baskets are great for storage as well. I used white light and linen drapes found at ikea.Because of small size of room, i have glass tables to help maximze space. I am adding shutters found at a flea market as headboard for guest bedroom this year. I found many useful items from community sales. I frequent local beach decor shops some pricey to get ideas for arranging and adding items.
I would put couch so can look out window to garden. Put it floating in the center of the room, Tv on wall. Two chairs sort of where they are now in photo. Small table and chairs located near door and kitchen. Looks like not much space there but look at ikea furniture as it is for small spaces. One ikea table is shown to be against wall and then pulls out to enlarge, it might work for you.
November 3, 2012 at 6:56pm   
Nobody is going to have fun if you have your chairs so far away from the sofa. So move them in, next to sofa, either with one on each side, or two on bone side if there is space. Add a big coffee table and hoist one for me!
November 3, 2012 at 7:07pm   
Here is one example with blue sofa.

November 3, 2012 at 7:11pm   
Amy Burke @ Florida Custom Marble
Definately hang the tv on the wall, hopefully you can. Some interesting lighting would be nice these are from Shadesoflight.com. A small table or piece of driftwood type table between the 2 chairs. Dont be scared to add a cocktail out of metal with a rustic look as long as it's form in minimal it works. Here a couple inspirational photos for you. Good luck!
November 3, 2012 at 7:33pm   
Marcie
Great thanks everyone.

I forgot to say that I'm buying a new sofa and was planning to buy a white one so the ideas re white blue beige fit perfectly Bobbi, Dytecture and Amy. Lol to lobster plaque Bobbi, will not get one, nor big anchor or ship stuff.

Am planning to put three seater white sofa to left of blue sofa, opposite chairs. Hopefully Carolyn that will address the chairs seeming so far away, I will move them a bit closer to sofa but cannot block bedroom door that comes off LR.

Not sure what you meant by having the sofa floating in the middle of the room Kath983 but I really like your ideas of going to hunt for beachy knick knacks. Don't know what a sissal rug is but will google it.

Will put TV on wall above heater.

Love that White sofa and cushions in picture Amy and also blue sofas Dytecture.
November 3, 2012 at 8:15pm     
Amy Burke @ Florida Custom Marble
Your very welcome Marcie. Job well done everyone! That's a wrap :)
November 3, 2012 at 8:25pm   
Turning my Living Room into a Dining Room Would love some ideas
When you walk in the front door I have a entry way....
Would love some ideas for my living room and kitchen area off these pl
These are the plans for my house in Ireland I am looking...
Help with a covered entry and some charm for my beach house!
The door will be raised 3 steps. The garage will go...
I would love help with houses with small rooms
I am interested in houses with small spaces
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
One or two level island for this situation?
Hi, everyone! We are in the process of building...
Need help with my kids bedroom layout.
Hi all, We are building our dream house in Longlands...
Finishing Touches on Dining Room
I have my table and buffet for dining room. I am looking...
Drape dilemma... Too short!
So I didn't do my research on what the appropriate...