Wood floor dilemma
Celeste
We are about to purchase 2200 sq ft of solid hardwood hickory (saddle color) flooring from the Somerset Floor Character Collection. Does any one have experience with this manufacturer and/or this species and color? - Thanks!
Hardwood Floors & More
Somerset is a great company based here in the states. We have used the hickory saddle many times and our clients are always happy. The color variation in the hickory is gorgeous and the saddle stain gives you a fabulous warm brown palette.
1 Like    Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 3:46AM
Celeste
Thank you for your response HF&M! We have been debating for over two months, it's such a tough decision and lots of $$$ when covering this much sq ftg. We spent much less time deciding on which home to buy compared to making a wood floor choice! :)
    Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 4:47AM
Oak & Broad
Hickory is a great choice. Its very hard and resistant to scratches. What widths and lengths did you choose? Ive had clients take 6 months to choose their floor. My advice is take as much time as you need. The floor will be yours forever :-)
    Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 6:17AM
Lotus Construction Group
I do not have any experience with Somerset but personally love the varied mineral patterns Hickory has. i also agree with Eutree as to its resistance to dents and scratches.
    Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 6:25AM
Celeste
Eutree - we are 99% percent decided on random lengths, 4" width, solid hickory with Saddle stain by Somerset. In all the research I've done Somerset seems to be one of the better companies, and Made in the USA. I love the variation of hickory, just not in it's natural state, so I am hoping the Saddle stain is as beautiful when delivered as the sample is!
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 6:40AM
Linda
Be sure to order enough. Stash the extra and long cutoffs in a storage area in case you have a small water leak or decide to move a cabinet/island/wall in the future. I know you don't see that in the future, but a stash like that could be a huge find 50 years down the line.
2 Likes    Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 10:51AM
Custom Home Planning Center
Also if you like a floor with charter as if the seller offer cabin grade which has far greater variation and comes in at least a dollar a sq. foot less from most suppliers. As past readers here know I prefer full 3/4" wide board engineered floor which I float on 1/16" cork underlayment. For cost, quality, and ease of DYI installation.
    Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 10:59AM
Oak & Broad
Be sure to post pictures once your floor is installed !! :-)
    Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 12:15PM
Celeste
Thank you all for your excellent and informed advice! @Custom Home, I never knew you could ask for ALL full length. We are going to speak with the reseller and see if this is possible, definitely sounds like a better option! @Eutree, we hope to be installing (DIY) in December, we are just about to close on the home and have loads of work to do before flooring. I will definitely post pictures so that they are available for the next person interested in Hickory Saddle by Somerset. Searching the internet for that exact picture is what lead me here :)
    Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 2:19PM
Oak & Broad
If you want some good installation instructions (NWFA) email me and I will send them to you. joel@eutree.com
    Bookmark   November 4, 2012 at 2:25PM
hennin
Hi, we are actually looking to purchase the same thing for a house we just closed on. Were you happy with the product? Would be interested to see any pictures. Appreciate any help you can provide. You can send to henninfamily@yahoo.com
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 6:03PM
rfran
I am in the process of building a house and will be using character hickory for the kitchen, dining room, and living room. What color is your trim, doors, and cabinets?
    Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 6:14PM
lancemichelle
We are wanting to buy this as well, but would really love to see some pictures. Does anyone have some to share?
1 Like    Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 9:05AM
Celeste
We couldn't be more happy with our wood choice, ended up going with Somerset White Oak, Metro Brown, Homestyle Collection 3-1/4" solid , the color is fabulous and the quality out of the box was unbelievably excellent. We changed our mind from Hickory as I did extensive research on the wood types and found white oak to be the best choice because of it's overall reviews regarding all factors. We expected so many problems after the horror stories we read, and we ordered excess wood to make sure we could swap out pieces that were crap. We ended up with 9 cartons unopened because the wood was THAT good! After 2200 sq ft of flooring I would say you could barely fill ONE oversized trash can with the scrap from cuts. My husband and I did our entire home ourselves, it was A LOT of work but worth all the blood, sweat and tears (from my injuries haha). I have plenty of pictures of our wood floor if you want to see how it looks let me know.
1 Like    Bookmark   August 2, 2013 at 9:17AM
smwilson12
I would love to see some pics. i guess post them here or send them to lance8282@msn.com. did your research reveal that hickory was a bad choice? I hate to go back to the drawing board, so will probably stay with it.

thanks
    Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 7:45PM
Celeste
After bouncing from exotics, to hickory, back to exotics we finally decided the best bet was to stay with what was time tested. When you go into many older homes and love their wood floors it's always oak that is 40+ yrs old. So, we decided to settle on something harvested in our climate (northeast), a known wood for beauty and durability, and also something that wouldn't break the bank. The negatives about the hickory and it's density was not the installation challenge we wanted to run into. My husband and I did the job ourselves and we needed every factor on our side. We don't have kids in the house nor pets, but I find the floor is gorgeous, easy to clean and keep up with. Have been through very cold days and very hot and humid days with NO issues in any of the 2200 sq.ft. with expansion or shrinkage. I do HIGHLY recommend Somerset flooring for the material, the wood quality is amazing and our flooring store sold it to us for $4.12/sq. ft!!! - White Oak, Homestyle Collection, 3-1/2" solid - Metro Brown
1 Like    Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 6:50AM
lancemichelle
If you don't mind me asking, how did you install it? We are building on a raised slab (so we're using engineered) and I was considering floating it until talking to one of their specialists/installers . . . he recommended gluing it down due to our putting down 3,000 sq ft. and it going from room to room with no breaks,
    Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 11:01AM
lancemichelle
By the way, your floors look great, and having done just a few rooms in our old house, that was a lot of work. We've got two small girls, so I thought the Hickory might hold up a little better (higher on the janka scale) to their activities.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Celeste    August 5, 2013 at 11:02AM
Celeste
We have a basement below, so our ground level and second floor is plywood on joists. We did 30# felt paper and the pneumatic gun to install. Lots and lots of prep went into the subfloor, sanding of some spots, renailing certain areas and a small bit of plywood replacement at an area near the patio door which seemed to have some water damage in the past. I did lots and lots of reading and solid on slab isn't really recommended because of moisture issues, but it is done, all depends on the method. It took lots of time, but I can say that by just the two of us doing the installation, doing our homework, and making sure we were perfect nearly every step of the way, this floor came out gorgeous and we don't care that it took us 6 weeks! For fun, we went into about 2 dozen new and older homes to see what "professional installers" work looked like. I tell ya, we laughed all the way to the bank by not spending the money on installation after seeing the quality of work we saw everywhere.
    Bookmark   August 5, 2013 at 11:12AM
Scott Design, Inc.
@celeste1965 Did your sample include several cuts that represent the contrasting color tones of lighter blonde sapwood and darker brown heartwood? Does the saddle stain blend these wide variations across all color tones well enough for you? If the hickory comes from the Appalachian Forest, there will be substantial heartwood content and far less variation than other Hickory in the industry. Longer lengths also help to minimize the potential abrupt change from one board to another. If you appreciate this character than you will be happy with your selection.
    Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:21PM
Custom Home Planning Center
When working on a slab a floating floor is best done with full 3/4" and cork underpayment. Be sure to select a floor leveler that bond well. There was a vendor from Europe at the last NHBA convention that looked particularly good for this application, but I haven't had an opportunity to try it
    Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 11:33AM
Stairs Dilemma! Wood or Travertine?
We are doing travertine floors throughout the house...
Uchenna Ukwu
wood, wood everywhere-dining room dilemma
Hi! I would love some opinions on how to make my dining...
nouterbud
Please help with rugs for open area dining/living/foyer.
We just repainted the main areas of our house and installed...
hegewoman
Wood finish and color dilemma!
It's a rustic living area with wood vaulted ceilings...
tsweatt
Wood Floor Dilemma
We are purchasing a 100 year old home, and are thinking...
tbaisa
Curved shower curtain rod dilemma: What length shower curtain?
We just purchased Ginger Chelsea curved shower rods....
Ann Becker
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
If Only I could blow this master bath up and start over. Help!
Wow, do I need help. Our house is going on the market...
sandnsyntax
Choosing Cabinets for Kitchen Renovation! Please help...
Currently planning my kitchen renovation. I have already...
Toni
Stay safe and warm, East Coast Houzzers!
Are you impacted by the blizzard on the East Coast...