tammywoodward
January 29, 2011 in Photo Questions
I love the TV above the fireplace! I'm trying to figure out how to do this in a nice clean finished look like your photo. Where do you have your cable box and dvd player? Don't the wires need to connect to the TV?
Sheila Schmitz
Here's a recent ideabook that offered some ideas for installing flat-screen TVs cleanly into a wall like this.

Please let us know how it goes!
1 Like   January 29, 2011 at 8:46PM
mmann1578
I checked out the above referenced ideabook but nothing specifies how to hide the dvd player, cable box etc. any suggestions?
0 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 9:22PM
Sheila Schmitz
Here's another story about one specific way to do that: Ideabook: How to Hide Your TV Cables

And this story about setting up a TV room also has some good ideas for managing all your components: Ideabook: Contractor Tips: Tune In to a Top-Notch TV Room
0 Likes   July 13, 2012 at 10:01PM
Alan Kosa Interiors
My guess is that the DVD player is stored in the cabinet under the window. All per-wiring is behind the sheet rock and hidden. It pays to have an AV/Media professional install and hook it up. I recently created a niche cutout in the Sheetrock above the fireplace that allows you to conceal the arm/wall mount bracket. The finished result is clean. Good luck with your project.
1 Like   July 13, 2012 at 11:38PM
mmann1578
Thank you all for the responses and ideas...it really helped a lot!!
0 Likes   July 14, 2012 at 8:17PM
sosbeth
We just went through this! Contact a home theater installer. It is amazing what they can now do. Our components aren't even in the same room as our tv. We have a computerized whole house system that runs everything. We only have to touch the components when changing DVD's. The computer program we use is called System 4. On another note, be careful about adding a tv over a fireplace. We have found that even without a blower our gas fireplace puts off quite a bit of heat that isn't good for the tv.
1 Like   July 14, 2012 at 8:42PM
mmann1578
Wow that sounds great, thank you! Can I ask, was it expensive?
0 Likes   July 18, 2012 at 4:55PM
Alan Kosa Interiors
To avoid issues of overheating LED TV's install a gas fireplace with a direct vent that activates by fan when the fire is on. Plasma TV's are more sensitive to heat. As long as the bottom of the TV is approx. 2ft from the top of the fireplace, you will be good. Also add an articulating wall mount to rotate the screen in the direction of your sight as to avoid head and eye strain. The TV over a fireplace is awesome, but research installation to avoid disappointment down the road.
0 Likes   July 18, 2012 at 5:52PM
sosbeth
Yes, it was expensive but mostly because we rewired for surround sound. We are super happy with it though. We can control out heat/air, lights, and security system while we travel. Plus we don't have to look at or try to hide components within the room.
0 Likes   July 18, 2012 at 6:35PM
karen paul interiors
You really need to go to a technician as there are so many options now. We no longer have to deal with boxes, wires and everything in the same place. We have been let out of prison, but please do contact a specialist or 2 first.
0 Likes   July 18, 2012 at 6:40PM
Window treatment needed
We are renovating our downstairs room into a bedroom....
Want to breath life into my living room!!
Hi- we just bought this house, my living room is narrow...
New apt...please help with living room design
Just moved into new apt and buying furniture piece...
Remodel kitchen help!!!
Kitchen look cheesy. I want to remodel the kitchen...
Coffee shop, Restaurant
Hello my friends , please tell me what do you think...