Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellykola

How on earth would you re-side and re-roof this strange looking house? Please help and share your ideas.

kellykola
11 years ago
We are buying this house. It is a tri-level and appears to be a very strange design. The home inspection says that a new roof and siding are needed. (Current siding is rotten T1-11). We would like to do a metal roof and vinyl siding. Would LOVE to have some other opinions on siding (horizontal/vertical/board&batten) and color schemes. I am into more rustic/classic looks. Thank you to anyone who is willing to share their opinion!

Note - images are front and side view.

Comments (39)

• megan_barnett
    11 years ago
    We just bought a similar property and are facing the same decision! I have been leaning towards a metal roof as well, but maybe a combination of stucco and siding/stone (we also have some brick just at the front entrance). Here's a photo of another houzz that caught my eye - I think the vertical panelling looks great on your property but this just has a little more detail to it and a more rustic cabin feel. I also like how they broke up the levels with the horizontal "beam". Good luck with your decision!
    Smith Cabin · More Info
    Smith Cabin · More Info
  • apple_pie_order
    11 years ago
    This striking house looks like an architect designed it for the original owners in the mid 1960's. See if you can find out who the architect was from examination of the permits in the local administrative office. You can consult them about changes to the roof and siding materials. The roof is complex and will need an experienced contractor. It's a good time to replace insulation in the walls, too. Metal roofs can be noisy, often too noisy to sleep during a rainstorm.

If you do find the original architect, ask what the original landscape design was. It's quite stark at the moment. It may have emphasized some angular shapes of colorful perennials to complement the strong lines of the house.

Last, I recommend you google "Sea Ranch houses" for similar architecture that may give you some ideas. This article tells a story: http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/travel/14SeaRanch.html?pagewanted=all
  • colonialgp
    11 years ago
    First off, buying a home where you have to replace the roof AND the siding is a lot of $$$. Vinyl siding would be a bad choice, not only for the house, but also for the environment. As for cosmetic changes, landscape which will transform the lot, use a warmer stain on the house and change the windows so that they aren't so dark. Agree with previous post about finding the original architect.
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    Beautiful property!

I agree with colonialgp
  • PRO
    Walsh Krowka & Associates, Inc
    11 years ago
    Stick with vertical siding. Look into a rainscreen type of siding installation. It will let the siding breathe with an airspace behind it. It's a nice modern house. Don't trash it out with vinyl siding...but the metal roof is good.
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    Well at least WE ALL agree . . .
  • tbhattac
    11 years ago
    We purchased a 1965 custom designed and built mid-century home 2 years ago with a lot of rotten siding--it was vertical like yours. I had a bunch of contractors out to look at it to figure out what to do. What I found out was it was variable width tongue and groove redwood (with no seams!) that had been stained a dark green. Many contractors were recommending me to install vinyl siding over it. I was dead-set against the vinyl siding, thinking it would destroy the character of my home. I was able to find a contractor who agreed on saving what he could of the redwood and substitute the worst boards with tongue and groove cedar. It had to be custom-milled to match the redwood dimensions but I felt very strongly that it was the right choice for the architecture of the home. I had also considered hardi-plank (vertical) if I couldn't make the existing siding work. We replaced a lot of siding and it was not inexpensive but my home is absolutely stunning now.
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    tbhattac: Can you post some pictures of what you did - so our "person here" can see how your home came out? Sounds like your home came out beautifully. I think this might help her.
  • kellykola
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all so much for your comments! I really,really appreciate it. I agree real wood would look the best on this house, however I don't want the maintenance associated with wood and plus the woodpeckers have been having a feast on the existing wood. Is there any product that looks like wood but doesn't have the maintenance (that is also affordable).
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    Vinyl siding always looks bad. When you pull off the present siding, you will find additional problems underneath. You will need an architect and perhaps a structural engineer. Whatever siding you put on will require a lot of expensive maintenance over the years. It's a big house. Perhaps you bought the wrong house? Vinyl siding is only good for a small cheap house in the city.
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    Since you like rustic, perhaps a cedar shake option would work. Shakes are available in vinyl siding as well. I would go with more than one color on the exterior to break up. I like the dark trim around the windows with the siding in this photo.
    [houzz=
    Northwest Contemporary Exterior · More Info
    ]
  • pjtime
    11 years ago
    I agree with Fife and Apple Pie. I think Hardiboard has vertical patterns and has been touted as low maintenance and virtually indestructible. It's some kind of cement based wood look siding. My cousin in Colorado is siding his new build in Colorado with it and he's pretty smart. I envy you. It's a WOW property. Metal roof would be great. Landscaping definitely would help. It's a special property and should be treated with care.

Another siding option I've been looking at is corrugated steel laid vertically. I absolutely love the look and seems to me it would be virtually indestructible. It changes color tones in the changing light of day and looks very dramatic.
  • tbhattac
    11 years ago
    Following up on your questions--attached are "before" pictures of my home--prior to moving in. My home is a large ranch with a walk-out lower basement, built in 1965. Although I don't have any closeups of the rotten boards, the siding was in sad shape. Woodpeckers had done a number on it after rot started to set in from a design flaw. Most of the problem was caused by a horizontal "drip edge" installed where the upper level met the lower level vertical siding. The drip edge was not beveled away from the house and it had collected water over 45 years --literally rotting the bottoms of most of the siding pieces. In addition, other siding was just damaged from woodpeckers and weather. It took me a while to find the right contractor, but what he did was completely reside one side of the house--the side with the most damage. Then he salvaged the boards that he removed by cutting away the rotten parts and used them to repair the rest of the house. In addition, he created a newer, wider drip edge that beveled away from the house and was flashed correctly. In doing so, he removed the rot from the bottoms of the boards. It was a good solution. As I mentioned before, the original siding was variable width redwood. We substituted cedar since it was going to be stained anyway but we had to pay to have it custom milled to the correct widths.

I don't have any "after" pictures at the moment but I will try to take some and post later. Another option could be galvalume siding. It may not be the look for you but I think it's a very contemporary choice and it could look pretty stunning. Here is a blog where they had a problem with their original cedar and chose galvalume. The blogger goes into a lot of detail about the decision to go that route.

http://modfrugal.com/tour-2/exterior/
  • PRO
    Buechel Stone Corp
    11 years ago
    If you were able to add some stone you could sure spruce the house up. Maybe in some of the spots that are by them-self like the under hang shown on the second and picture. We have photos that show stone and siding combinations.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buechelstone/sets/72157626635322735/
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    WOW TB - very wonderful job and your home is lovely! I am sure it was painful - but looks to have been worth the work! I hope this helps our homeowner. :-)
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Agree with all of the above. Plus I think you will destroy the house's value with vinyl--financially and aesthetically. Vinyl shakes look terrible, especially over large surfaces where the joints are very noticable. Cement fiberboard is the closest thing to wood for both shakes (straight edged, not hand-split) and board and batten siding, but it must be installed with a backing that allows moisture to escape. It is highly fire-rated, which can be a plus for your insurance costs.

I looked at the blog recommended above (pic 4) and they just wrapped the existing siding in house wrap and installed the metal siding, which is often used for commercial buildings and is probably pretty reasonable in price. It could look great, although it is a huge change to the original style, which is more rustic.

And I would not replace the windows unless absolutely needed--retrofiting interior or exterior storms is much cheaper and just about as energy efficient. It will really send the budget upward--I hope you have a good construction loan or line of credit (another reason to keep the architectural integrity to retain the value). I would keep them dark, or possibly a related color, but definately not white. I actually think the railings are fine as they are--if you do replace the stainless steel might be nice, but visually jaring uless you have stainless elsewhere, or if powder-coated, may not look visually heavy enough.

Again the help of an architect and contractor very familiar with this style would be a huge help to make these sort of decisions. Perhaps just some basic patching and caulking will hold you for the winter while you decide and you can do the roof first. Just what kind of metal roof are you thinking about? It is absolutely critical to get the flashing done right, and I would check on the water run-off during a hard rain to see if there are any problem areas.

More info about this "strange looking" style:

This style of house was popular mid-60s through the mid-80's and is supposed to be rustic and in tune with nature with a modern edge, and a bit brutal in the massing. Sea Ranch Condominiums mentioned above was the first of this style. I think your house has some influence from the Brutalist style as well, which often featured rough cast concrete and blocky forms (pic 1 has some similar shapes--and yes, it is a house.)

The most common terms is 70s Contemporary , Rustic Modernism, Shed style, and it was particularly popular in the Northwest , although you will find them all over the US, especially on wooded lots. This one is particularly large and sculptural. Cedar siding was the siding of choice, and properly installed and stained, maintenance is not as bad as you may think, although I would consult a local expert about the woodpecker issue. They like rotted wood, so new shouldn't be an issue for some time.

Clerestory windows, shed roofs and natural materials are defining characteristics. I suggest you read up on the house style and learn to appreciate what it is before making huge changes inside and out. Don't go ripping out all the paneling or massive fireplaces or painting everything white inside--take some time to understand the house, and step back from seeing all the flaws... If you pick what complements the style (and there is more than one way to do this) rather than fighting it, you will have a more successful end result.

There is a core of folks who love this style, and as time goes by, it starts to look less dated and more retro and cool. Found a number of historic tours highlighting these kind of homes, and a few recently designated historic districts. .

http://www.dahp.wa.gov/styles/shed
    http://www.historicdenver.org/resources/rustic-modernism/
    http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Sea_Ranch_Condominium.html
    http://bo.lt/1xm7 (ideas for modern interiors that could work with this style)

The setting is stunning, and I agree, some softer, more natural and leafy landscaping, like flowering trees, ornamental grasses, maybe masses of easy field flowers like black-eye susan and such, could really enhance it.
  • Elyn's Library
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    There are tons of options with assorted Hardiboard products - many illustrations right here on houzz - https://www.houzz.com/photos/hardi-board-phbr0lbl-bl~l_38307

But I agree with all the above posters who suggested you try to find the original architect. This is a beautiful home with a distinct, simple and elegant style. Vinyl siding would be a major mistake - financially as well as aesthetically.

Keep the siding vertical, while you're replacing the siding upgrade the insulation (it will pay for itself very quickly in decreased energy costs). The metal roof is a great idea, as long as it is adequately insulated and installed otherwise the noise can be surprising.

Gorgeous home, nice find. The landscaping will be fun to refurbish once you get the work on the house finished.
  • PRO
    Robert A. McGraw Architect
    11 years ago
    We are a well respected Southern California architectural firm (www.mcgraw-architect.com) that works with many renovations of mid century homes. We have started started a small service company to provide homeowners with affordable 3D renderings of proposed upgrades to their homes. We have you send us three photos of your home (like the ones here) and fill out a brief questionnaire and we redesign the facade, send you three 3D renderings of our ideas and supply you with suggestions for materials(window manufacturers, colors, etc.) Our company is www.home-curbappeal.com. We would love to hear from you and help you plan your upgrades. You have a great property and it has potential for a beautiful update honoring it's mid century origins.
  • Kivi
    11 years ago
    I cant imagine why in the world vinyl siding would seem like a good idea.... I hope you will consider some of the other ideas from the folks above.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Here is another source of info on the Shed style (this is the best guide to American Architecture styles and you probably can get it from the library):

McAlester, Virginia and Lee (1996). A Field Guide to American Houses. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. pp. 484
  • kellykola
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow...really can't thank you all enough for your thoughtful and generous feedback! This has been so helpful and informative. We definately have lots to think about and I'm going to start by seeing if I can find the original architect. I had no idea that there were other homes in this style and I love the modern rustic categorization! Thank you all again and I hope to one day post some beautiful before/after pictures!
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    Dear Kelly: That's what we all do here. There are so many fantastic homes in america - and your's is one! I also think it gives our children and families a greater appreciation of where we live and where we come from - and the common sense to understand what it takes to create something of value. You could also create a BLOG during the Process - to show the progress and change. That could be fun - and a treasure for your family? Please DO let us know. :-)

If you cannot find the Architect - perhaps check with the local government - where the permits were obtained and see if the orginal plans are stored. Sometimes this is a good resource. OR, at least you could find the original owners this way.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    Building permits and plans are not always kept on file, esp. this long ago. A list maybe. And if this is a rural area or a small town, there may be no records at all that way.

A deed search at the county courthouse and maybe a newspaper search by address may pull up something, at least the former owners, who could be tracked down. Also check old city directories--they list occupants by address going back over 100 years. Some of this stuff may be available online, or at your library. Addresses do change with time, but this should be a recent enough building to avoid that, but ask the reference librarian for help, or go to the local historical society. Their information is likely indexed by family name, not address, though, and this is recent enough that it might not surface.

Can you talk to the sellers--that is the first step. If you find the first family will probably be glad to talk to someone who likes their home as much as they did. Plus talk to the neighbors and local old-timers, they may remember something or know the contractor. This is a significant enough building that perhaps the local branch of the American Institute of Architects might have some info.

This could turn out to be an episode out of history detectives--it is kind of fun once you get started. I hit the jackpot online and found a complet bio of my most prominent past owner from 1924. Geneology sites sometimes have this sort of info, which makes it convenient.
  • Diane
    11 years ago
    This blog has a similar house they are redoing she has very good taste. great home!

http://purestylehome.blogspot.com/2012/09/whats-up.html
  • Anna
    11 years ago
    I like a clapboard look,just did this in a vinyl
  • Anna
    11 years ago
    I like a clapboard look,just did this in a vinyl
  • Christine W
    11 years ago
    NO METAL ROOF. On such an expansive home it will look like a commercial building. Also no to vinyl siding. That would just be wrong. The building has a very neo-contemporary vibe so If you are going for a total re-do I would stay with the vertical siding but paint it a lighter color. If you have some bank then I would go for those look like slate rubber roof tiles. I hear they have like a 50 year life and are very durable. I would probably invest in uping the modern factor and open up some of those windows and create a meandering deck that circles most of the private areas of the house and where possible add doors that open up on to the new patio areas. The house is great but I would not waste time trying to "redo" it in to something it is not meant to be.
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    I am re-visiting this situation. In my part of the country (Lake Tahoe area, heavy snow) metal roofs are IN and very beautiful. They are a bit on the expensive side! Not commercial looking in the least. They can be had in almost any color. Before you do something about siding, see if you can enlarge your windows. Unless you are in a VERY cold climate, you would want larger windows than what you seem to have.
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    I am re-visiting this situation. In my part of the country (Lake Tahoe area, heavy snow) metal roofs are IN and very beautiful. They are a bit on the expensive side! Not commercial looking in the least. They can be had in almost any color. Before you do something about siding, see if you can enlarge your windows. Unless you are in a VERY cold climate, you would want larger windows than what you seem to have.
  • pjtime
    11 years ago
    Victorianbungalow had really great advice about taking your time to get the feel of your home and being sensitive to the original design of the home. It is a special home and I hope you can live in it for a while before making any changes.
  • pjtime
    11 years ago
    Victorianbungalow had really great advice about taking your time to get the feel of your home and being sensitive to the original design of the home. It is a special home and I hope you can live in it for a while before making any changes.
  • Tom Hiro
    9 years ago
    So what was the final decision?
  • kellykola
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi Tom! Actually embarrassed to say that we went against most of these recommendations and ended up with vinyl. It worked with our budget and was what everyone (else) was saying we should do. The house was a foreclosure so we did a renovation mortgage which meant we needed a quick fix while we had the financing. I did go with a darker color and kept it vertical on the front and am pleased with how it turned out. Certainly not my first choice but it will last (hopefully) until we get serious about renovating the home. Thanks for asking and hopefully I won't be criticized too much for choosing this way. Here is a picture of the after:
  • Diane
    9 years ago
    Oh I like it! This looks great. thanks for posting
  • Tom Hiro
    9 years ago
    Thank you, Kelly. We are contemplating a similar dilemma. It is hard to tell in that photo; did you chose a vertical pattern?
  • kellykola
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes, we did vertical siding on the front elevation, but it is horizontal on the sides and back. While I love the look, I should tell you that we have had issues with the vertical siding looking wavy or bumpy. My contractor says that can't be helped/fixed because vertical installation doesn't allow for as much expansion because there isn't any overlap on both ends. We installed in January in Michigan though and I think that was part of our problem - when the underlying wood dried out and shrank the new siding didn't shrink enough with it. If you decide on vertical installation I recommend you install in summer weather and make sure they allow for a lot of movement. We used Certainteed Monogram siding. Good luck Tom! I'd be happy to send you better pictures if it would help you.
  • Tom Hiro
    9 years ago
    It would be extremely helpful if you could send me photos. My email is tomhiro@gmail.com. Thank you so much, Kelly!
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH