Complete redo where to begin?
mrscotta
After 20 years it's time for everything to go but this living room is so hard to decorate with all the inward corners, narrow and too many focal points. I've spent hours finding room scenes I like but none have stained wood trim. I Iike the stained trim and I tend to like the oranges,golds, and green tones, so does that mean I will have to keep my walls white?

Any suggestions on what I should consider when buying furniture if I have to leave the TV on a stand (we don't like the idea of over the fireplace) and the piano which is as big as the sofa.(oh, yeah there are 6 of us so plenty of sitting is needed too). The current layout does the best job of hiding the piano. I am afraid no matter how I arrange all the furniture it's going to be an overloaded room. :(

what order is recommended for building a room? I'm thinking of looking for a colorful picture for over the fireplace that is more narrow and work from there.

Thank you in advance.
TanCalGal
I like the stained wood trim and I also like white, off white walls - I would say: do not paint the trim & stick to the very light walls. Add color with art or furniture.
Since you state there is no other place for the piano and you do not want the TV over fireplace and this is the best arrangement you've found for the furniture, I feel your choice for room arrangement is limited to what you have now.

The fireplace might look better with a narrow picture over it, try hanging the mirror the long way and see if you like that. I'd remove the curtains and leave the windows bare. If you feel that is too bare a look for you, remove the drapes & leave the valences or remove the valences and leave the drapes or do some of each: leave the valences only in the dining room and the drapes only in the living room.
1 Like   November 5, 2012 at 9:28PM
yvonnecmartin
To help we need a floor plan with the location of doors and windows.
   November 5, 2012 at 9:29PM
mrscotta
Hope this works. This picture is the LV RM outlined on both 1/4 in graph paper and plain paper with more detail added. Thanks
   November 6, 2012 at 6:57AM
nevadan
First, if you like your woodwork, don't cover it up with cumbersome window treatments. Go with somnething sleek and modern. Second, in any small living room the sofa must face the fireplace. Your furniture looks nice. Maybe you can have some of it slipcovered in a plaid cotton. You should have a picture, not a mirror, over the fireplace, because with the two windows beside the fireplace that is much too much glass.
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 6:59AM
mrscotta
is cotton good for a family of teen boys? The picture doesn't show the wear and tear. the couch lost it's support so I am thinking a bit less bulky but still comfy to nap on. TOO MUCH GLASS, is that why I never liked the mirror there?? What is considered sleek and modern? Silk?
   November 6, 2012 at 7:08AM
michigammemom
No, mrscotta you don't need silk window treatments, but the ruffled valance is a thing of the past. Consider a more simple window treatment like this neutral,solid drapery panel with an accent color of your choice. You might also consider chenille as an upholstery fabric. It's soft, textural and durable.
10 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 7:16AM
mrscotta
These curtains really motivated me. I like the color block at the top!
   November 6, 2012 at 9:37AM
ayanlang
I agree that ruffled valences date the room. If you want to keep patterned drapes, make them straight falls (not ruffles) that don't obscure the window trim, and mount the drapery rods high (as michigammemom's example shows).
http://hgtv.sndimg.com/HGTV/2012/04/06/DP_O-Interior-Design-large-living-room-with-patterned-drapes_s4x3_lg.jpg
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 10:02AM
pollyannagal
My immediate reaction is that a soft sage green on the walls would look great with the wooden elements and work with your furniture and carpet. I also feel you need more simple window treatments such as roman blinds on the windows and simple curtains on the french doors (maybe a nice linen fabric which would be very contemporary) to show off these features instead of competing with them. I agree that a picture would be better over the fireplace.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 10:09AM
Like your curtain choice Hang them high like in the picture. Match a paint strip to the color block and then use a lighter one on the strip if dark color scares you. You could take the dark color to your fireplace wall for an accent. Are you ashamed of the piano? Bring it out of hiding! You have a great room with lots of potential, but you're limiting the possibilities by your issues with TV and piano which has caused you to turn the back of the sofa away from the true focal point. Please reconsider TV above the FP. They can be installed on a slight tilt if you fear not being able to see it at a high level. Your mirror is reflecting the ceiling and fixture - nothing beautiful or interesting - so I would seriously consider the TV there. Try the mirror in the dining room. Center the sofa, facing the FP, just past the 6' opening, with your coffee table, leaves up, in front of it. Angle the lounger between the sofa and the bumpout corner by the window with your end table and lamp. Add a smaller armchair to the left of the FP with a floor lamp for a reading nook. Put the piano to the right of the entry where the TV is now. That corner may be large enough for a real baby grand, if the piano student gets serious. For now, I'd move the armchair near the piano corner with a side table and lamp. Angle it toward the TV, or if a teacher comes to your home for lessons, toward the piano.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 10:09AM
As far as furniture arrangment, I'd try a sofa in front of the big window (with a sofa table behind for a lamp, etc), an open back chaise in front of FP (floating) and two small swivel rockers floating at a right "L" of the sofa, Then, the TV on the wall opposite the sofa and the little piano on the wall on the right of the entry way. This furniture isn't right size, but here is a photo of chaise in front of FP and the couch in a bump out window.

3 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 10:18AM
ayanlang
You say you like stained wood and warm colors. Have you looked at an updated Arts & Crafts color palette?

Your pieces are nice and solid, but the current color scheme is beige, neutral, and beige. If you want to keep neutral solids in the upholstery, you could balance that with a strong-but-liveable wall color like buckskin, chamois yellow, light olive, lemongrass, or a soft pale tangerine.

Alternately, you could keep the pale walls and neutral solids, but anchor the floating bits of seating with a large patterned rug, pick up a color from the rug in solid matching drapes (or neutral drapes with a punchy color block or striped selvedge), and tie it together with contrast throw pillows.

Irvington Arts and Crafts
5126 Fairglen
Green Springs Farm
Darien Family Room
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 10:21AM
Natalie
Hi--- I suggest a sectional sofa for all those boys-it should face the FP and wrap around in front of windows. 2 soft blue chairs in front of FP, a traditonal rug, STRAIGHT off-white panels for the windows, and a glass coffee table. Wall color: SW 7058 Magnetic Gray---Hope this is helpful. Last three pics are inspiration-color-furnishings/accessories. :)

[houzz=Elliot Sectional Sofa Collection][houzz=Allegra Hicks Chauncey Chair][houzz=Sonoma Cream/Brown Hand Knotted Rug]

[houzz=Living Room 1][houzz=Living Room 2][houzz=Living Room 3]
2 Likes   November 6, 2012 at 11:05AM
movethisnotthat
Just playing around with your floor plan and thinking ahead to a new couch, removing the piano, removing the window treatments for something long,simple, and adding some extra seating, imagine your own color scheme, maybe an oatmeal color with throws and pillows, pictures, plants and a couple of matching rugs to create 2 areas in this room. One chair beside the fireplace, and a couch for TV watching, notice,walking to the back of the couch instead of cutting in front of the TV. extra ottomans to pull up into any conversation place, storage ottomans would be a special find for magazines,toys ect.
you'll enjoy working your own floor plan at urbanbarn.icovia.com, be sure to post pictures of your finished space. OH...will the picture on your wall fit over the fireplace? Or Even your family protraits all above the fireplace in a grouping or stacked frames.
   November 6, 2012 at 12:18PM
victorianbungalowranch
Ditto with above, the first step is to removed flowered curtains in both rooms. That alone would freshen it up. Then get some bolder pillows, a smaller coffee table (perhaps glass) and angle the recliner. These little changes could help a lot. I would consider a bench or banquette for extra seating and for the TV along the wall and moving the chair to next to the fireplace.

I also like Natalie's suggestion to reorientate the whole room, although it seems a bit small for some to the suggested furniture. Perhaps just moving the piano to the long wall and putting the TV in the corner next to the fireplace could achieve this.

If you have a wide hallway or someplace else for the piano (a spinet?), that would open a lot more possibilities.
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 12:41PM
mrscotta
Many great point, so many new questions>
1. Since I can not raise the curtains on the long bank of windows (they are in a sofit type of area) don't I want to keep the same line with the curtains by the fire place? I live in Wisconsin so the curtains serve a dual purpose.
2.Since the corner walls just into the room (same wall as picture window) putting something on an angle really comes into the room .
3. yes the digital piano is ugly but it gets played and I enjoy the music. Tried moving to another room but then it doesn't get played especially at christmas time. :(
4. Is it uncommon to use an area rug in a wall to wall carpeted room?
I'll see if I can get some muscles to help move things around tonight
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 2:34PM
It is quite common for an area rug on carpet. Get some muscle help! :) If you want to "hide" the digital piano, you can put the piano more in the corner and hide it with a freestanding room divider.
   November 6, 2012 at 2:42PM
Natalie
Hi--- all window panels should be hung at same height---mount rod to outside of bank of windows---Roman shades inside.
Furniture---sofa (L-shaped sectional) facing FP, TV on wall which backs up to dining room, 2 chairs in front of FP---piano behind sofa (in place of leather chair and ottoman).
It is not uncommon to put a rug on carpet---you need subtle pattern in this room--as I said, simple window panels, colored accent chairs, and a soft neutral traditional rug. Oh and FRESH flowers on the piano-first thing guests will see upon entering... CheerS!
   November 6, 2012 at 2:48PM
ayanlang
I hear you. Another option that would be a more updated style is to keep the curtain rod line where it currently is, but extend the sides out a good six to eight inches to the side of each window (I"d say a foot, but that might put the curtain too close to the fireplace when it's in use!). And lose the valences. Extending the curtain rods (& using straight falls of curtain) will give the windows more visual weight.

You can use an area rug over a carpeted area! You'd want to make sure no dye transferred from the bottom of the rug to the carpet, and you might have to experiment with textures.
   November 6, 2012 at 2:53PM
mrscotta
Muscles isn't happy. This is the furthest I could get him to move the TV due to power cord, cables and such. :( I see that my new curtains will have to extend out side of the window frame more, but should I get a thicker curtain rod and put it as high up as I can? I already see improvement with the valance removed.
The red chair is actually very warn and needs to go. I do have a second leather chair like the one by the fire place but I took it out because I thought 2 were too heavy for the room. With the room this way there is not enought room for the leather to be by the piano. I also have another lamp and end table but again too much furniture was on that one Side of the room. I'm going to size sectionals like Natalie suggested. Also very tired of the queen ann legs. Square coffee table you think?

Now you see the piano...The TV and Piano create a tension in my being. I have no idea how to decorate the walls around this corner and over the tv and piano.

Finally, the picture is side ways on the fire place to give some dimention. I like the colors in the picture but feel the wide matting is too white. what do you think of the size? I actually have a second print that is a slightly different scene. Do you think if I reduce the mat size and redo the frame I could put both prints over the fireplace?

Sorry about the night shots, hope you can get the gist. You've all have given me so much confidence already! Can't wait to shop this weekend, I think ?? $$$$
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 10:23PM
Looks better already! Can you center the sofa with the window? I agree you need to "fix" the curtains to fill the box window and a smaller, rectangular coffee table. It's more intersting with different wood tones so I'd change out the coffee table or paint black. I like just the one print on the FP. Oh.. completely remove the valence in the dining room too. It will update both spaces. Take care of the furniture, rug and FP art...then let's worry about the piano and tv wall art. : )
1 Like   November 6, 2012 at 10:47PM
Natalie
Wow-already a HUGE improvement. Yes square, round, or oval coffee table just so long as it's glass-that way it doesn't take up visual space. Thrilled to hear you're going to check out sectionals-I think you need one. The piano could then go behind the sectional and you could put a bookcase where the piano is. About the art---I think you need something Big and graphic. Refer to the pics for inspiration I attached from my first post. Hope this helps. So far, so good. :) [houzz=
]
   November 6, 2012 at 11:05PM
Natalie
One more thing-make sure to check the color: SW 7058 Magnetic Gray. I think it will really enhance your wood tones and add softness to your space. Carry the color right into the dining area too or you could go one shade lighter or darker 7057 or 7059... CheerS!
   November 6, 2012 at 11:14PM
pollyannagal
Your room is really starting to take shape. I understand your concern about the TV and piano - I think they stand out so much against the white walls so need to be balanced with the other elements of the room. Either paint or stain the TV cabinet a much darker colour to reduce the contrast between the unit and the equipment (or replace with a new darker unit). To make the piano more attractive create an arrangement of family photos in slim black frames on the wall above and place a potted plant or vase of flowers and table lamp on the piano in a warm accent colour to suit your chosen scheme. Work to create a welcoming space and give it a feel of a cosy part of family life rather than an intruder in your room that needs to be hidden. Perhaps you could also add seat cover to the piano stool to coordinate with your other cushions.

In terms of art over the TV I would keep it simple as it can be so distracting trying to watch TV when it's sharing space with something that is demanding your attention. Line drawings or black & white photos are usually a good option rather than something too dramatic - that should be over your fireplace. If you decide to replace the TV unit go for a tall cabinet rather than a wide one so that the TV is surrounded by cabinet rather than sitting on it. That makes it look more integrated into the room and doesn't need anything on the wall above it. Alternatively paper or paint this wall in a darker colour and don't add any art to the wall. Use this stronger colour in the dining room to connect the two rooms and give them different character.

To balance the visual weight to the piano and TV you should also add a little more black to the other end of the room. There is already black in the fire surround but a picture on the wall to the left of the large window with either a black frame or some black in the picture would help. Also, have you tried putting the picture of the girl in red above the fireplace instead of the landscape? It is quite big but would look stunning. If you paint the walls deeper shade (and I really think you should) you may need to change the mount on this picture to a lighter one.

Rugs on carpets are perfectly fine and help tie a room together but do use a good underlay as they they can discolour the carpet and then you are stuck with keeping the rug in the same place or having to recarpet.
3 Likes   November 7, 2012 at 12:39AM
victorianbungalowranch
How about a peice of art ove the piano, but not the TV and painting the wall?
   November 7, 2012 at 1:07AM
ayanlang
Wow, what an improvement already! My $0.02 is that the TV and piano are too stark against the cream walls, and that the room would really benefit from a soft warm color on the walls. I think a light warm green or a light soft yellow would be best with your wodwork (I was looking at my earlier suggestions and I think orange might blend too much with your wood trim). Have you also thought about having a custom cover sewn for the piano, like a quilted "grill cover"? I don't know how immediately accessible you want it to be. Anyway, you're getting great advice on this page. Good luck!
   November 7, 2012 at 4:59AM
smithlinc
When buying furniture go with a microsuede over chenille. Chenille is soft and textural but it is NOT durable especially with everyday use. Chenille will split and run.
   November 7, 2012 at 5:39AM
I've had two microsuede sofas ditched by clients because they are not durable. With six people you need durability - leather, cotton duck, or heavier upholstery fabric than either chenille or microsuede.
I suggest you buy yourself a set of "Moving Men" furniture sliders today so you can play on your own. Call a friend over and experiment with more ideas. You already see what can be done in just a few minutes. I still think TV over the FP will make the biggest difference for you. Love the piano location on that back wall - perfect place! With earphones a pianist can enjoy music even while others are watching TV. Bring out the other leather chair today and keep tweaking!
   November 7, 2012 at 5:56AM
mrscotta
You are all awesome. I wish I had your sense of balance, I know I am off balance but just don't know why! :)

We added the fireplace when we moved in. It is built out of the house instead of into the house like most so doing electrical for a overhead tv will be next to impossible (or that's the story hubby is giving me). Plus where do you put all the DVD player, reciever and connect to game units?

My sofa is a Chenille and I am okay with the fabrics performance.

The piano is used every day and my son LOVES its new location.

My favorite color is green and I am glad many suggestions include that color with the woodwork.
Sounds like most would suggest I use one color on all of the walls, maybe a shade different in the dining room.

Question, I maybe able to make my own drapery, can't afford custom. Any suggestions of good websites for off the shelf drapery?

This has been great therapy!
   November 7, 2012 at 7:58AM
pollyannagal
So glad to hear you feeling positive about your lovely home. I'm really happy that the piano's new location is a hit and that you won't have to hide behind the furniture to play it. I must agree with your concerns about putting the TV over the fireplace. It is far more complex to get right than it looks and a nightmare to hide/connect all the boxes etc.

I'd love to see some pics of the finished makeover (with a lovely soft warm green on the walls please). Good luck with making your curtains, they aren't too tricky, just a bit tedious when you have lots to do but a good winter sewing project.
   November 7, 2012 at 8:21AM
ayanlang
I have a light lime green in the LR and the same color one shade darker in the DR, as these pictures try to show (the color is not captured well by my camera).

As for the curtains, they look so much better w/o the valances that you could try hanging them on different rods (oil-rubbed bronze or dark stained wood) that are a little wider than the current rods. That would update the look and add needed contrast to the walls until you can afford to replace all the drapes.
   November 7, 2012 at 9:56AM
Sandra Whittier
Put a picture frame around the TV over the fireplace means no one walking in front of the screen. put the mirrow over the piano. With only olive green sheers on the windows the room will be kept light and still show the beautiful wood. Just enjoy the family and you will have tons of time to decorate when the boys are gone.: (
   November 7, 2012 at 10:08AM
mrscotta
Oh,I hear you Sandra, but this isn't so bad of a deal for the boys. They help me move stuff around and give their opinion, I take them to the game store for the latest releases. win, win and quality time!
   November 7, 2012 at 11:49AM
Ready made drapery at Country Curtains.com won't break the bank and they do have longer lengths and lots of options - like austrian valances you might use for the windows in the recessed area. Would focus on keeping the windows simple and open for the light. If you want to darken for TV watching you might try roman blinds under the drapery panels.
   November 7, 2012 at 12:44PM
I think the art piece above the tv would look great above the piano. Hung kinda low so it appears it's growing up from the piano...sort of like music rising up!
   November 7, 2012 at 12:58PM
Sandra Whittier
You misunderstand me, I miss them so very much, so make sure you remember every minute of the time together. I also have two grand-girls(one from each) Love your home.
   November 7, 2012 at 1:00PM
mjlb
I think a nice upholstered ottoman in front of the piano would ease the transition to the TV, and provide 'party' seating. I'd also fold the music holder flat, and hang artwork above the piano, and use the piano bench (when not in use) as a side table. It looks as though a small scale chair might work to the left of the fireplace as well.

Fantastic job so far, without even buying anything!
   November 7, 2012 at 2:41PM
alwaysdesigning
Being brave is part of the redecorating process. Paint colors, because I love stained trim and we will have it in our new house, I have loved Sherwin Williams Buckram Binding (now known as Wheat I believe) in my living room, halls, and studio. A very warm beige. Also, Jersey Cream, a greyed down pale yellow, which we have in the master bedroom and bath, with blues and white linens in summer, and brick/gold linens in the winter. A very easy color to enjoy. I also have Believable Buff in our guest room, a beige with a soft sage undertone, sage, (with bits of red and navy off the quilt) are my accent colors in there. Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy remaking your space into something fresh.
   November 7, 2012 at 3:16PM
victorianbungalowranch
IKEA has great curtains for reasonable prices, and they come long. Only problem is that you have to hem yourself.
   November 8, 2012 at 4:58AM
housemamma
The few changes you have made have really improved your room!! Pottery barn has nice panels in longer lengths. Could you use the leather ottoman as the coffee table? Or, purchase a larger ottoman in fabric and use as a table. Would allow for extra seating.
   November 8, 2012 at 6:21AM
Southern Patina Interiors
I think the new furniture placement is very good. I like using the leather chair and transitional sofa as a starting point - these are very streamline pieces and will enable you to purchase other transitional pieces to create a cohesive look. Everything else needs to go.

Start by purchasing an area rug for the front of the sofa. Take your color cues from the rug.

Paint walls

The large window is problematic because of it's design, but nonetheless needs attention because it is your focal point.

I sense this home belongs to an older family, so I would not introduce too many chicky touches or way out wild colors. I feel a "pottery barn" type look would be comfortable, functional and elegant for these homeowners.

The drapes and shades are very dated - even without the valence and they should go, I'm sorry.
I would also remove the wallpaper in the foyer, it's also dated.

My suggestions are
1. wood blinds with end panels (54"w each)
2. Completely drape the entire window; remove shades. Use a thick wood pole and large finials, go from corner to corner. Use 4, 54"wide panels (join two together to create two 108" wide panel on each side (your local seamstress can do this, and it shouldn't be expensive) If you find a ready made size for an 8' ceiling, you don't have to hem. Hang panels from rings and clips so you can open and close as needed. No other shades or blinds needed. This is a very pottery barn look on a budget.
3. Plantation shutters for the entire window; the most expensive treatment but, clean, will update the room immediately and no need for blinds or panels.

For blinds, and drapes, I would start with JC Penney. You'd be surprised at the selection of ready made drapes they have. Some are faux suede, faux silk - really well priced, lined, and if you do it right, it will look custom. Penney's also has a custom window dept, so you can order wood or faux wood blinds from them as well. Budget blinds is another resource; they're not at all budget priced though. I've done many custom window treatments, and they can be expensive.

Will try to attach a couple of sketches I did - hope you like my suggestions.
   November 8, 2012 at 8:51AM
mrscotta
Went to Pier 1 and am dumb founded with what I fell in love with...totally out of my box but I can't get it out of my head...it made me happy!

The sectional isn't going to work. :( It would be totally difficult to watch tv if I want to be able to walk in from foyer entrance. Back to a sofa and chair replacement.
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 3:47PM
Rio Brewster
Pretty - I like it. When folks don't know where to start with a project, I tell them to shop around until you fall in love with something. Art, vase, piece of furniture, light fixture - whatever. Then use that as your inspiration and build the room around that.
   November 8, 2012 at 3:56PM
Natalie
Love the painting! So bold and colorful... Talk about dumbfounded-I am a little in regards to the sectional not being able to work because of the TV. Was there another way you were entering your living room besides walking in front of the TV when it was situated in the corner? I'm confused-sorry...
   November 8, 2012 at 4:11PM
Leslie Haney
WOW, what an improvement just moving the existing furniture around. You made me laugh at the comment of 'Mr Muscles isn't happy'. Our poor men that live with and around us. My suggestions and 2 cents: 1) Like the new picture, with color and fun its a keeper. 2) Sorry but I have to agree with some of the comments above, ditch the very outdated curtains and wallpaper in the entry. 3) there are various ways to go wireless and still have a tv over the fireplace. We did just that and it means you can put the Blu-ray etc somewhere else and not next to the TV. You just need a plug for electricity nearby and those wires can be hidden or even put inside walls. (see a good handidude for this and not Mr. Muscles, if he doesn't want it, he won't find a way to make it happen). 3) I like the leather chair and ottoman and think you should continue that in a sofa and additional chair. 4) pick up the colors of the new picture in pillows for the furniture. 5) I would paint the two walls that host the currently placed piano and TV in an accent color. Make it softer and up-to-date. Pick up the yellow/orange hues. Might be a good color for the entry? 6) Instead of a 'table' in front of the sofa, how about a large ottoman for extra seating as warranted? when you need to use it for something other than feet, bring out a large tray, drape a colorful throw over a section of the ottoman for extra affect. 7) bring in some larger plants. You need some height in this room. Something to approach the ceiling. 8) can you ditch the overhead light and go with a softer look, table side lamps or recessed lighting only to accent the fireplace and/or piano? 9) if you must use curtains, certainly go end to end in the recessed area of the large (sofa) window. Try something else for the 2 windows that flank the fireplace. Makes the area too heavy. Roman shades perhaps in a grasscloth type material (cheap versions at the big box stores). Very Pottery Barn-esq.
Good luck, you've made some great inroads and remember something my mom told me that I took to heart. You can and will want to totally redecorate when the kids move out!
   November 8, 2012 at 4:56PM
victorianbungalowranch
I think the flower picture should go over the mantel, not the TV. Not only will the TV be too high for the size room, it will be awkward to watch by more than two people. The picture is happy and colorful and works well with the existing furniture, but kicks the color up a notch, and you will feel a little leap of joy every time you enter the room. I hope the size works well.

Others noted that a darker wall behind the TV and piano will minimize them, and that soft teal could be great. Can use part of the palette in the dining room too--maybe the terra cotta, or vice versa. You could even take the painting (or an accurate picture of it) it to the store a pick a spot for a color match. Sherwin Williams also has a cool feature now where you can upload a photo and it picks colors for you from it. Of course for a whole wall you may want to go a shade or two lighter so it is visually similar (walls of color look darker and more intense than a little patch). Great choice!
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 7:35PM
smldesigns
Hi,
I hate to put my 2 cents in because you've had a lot of comments, but I have one quick question. You said you couldn't raise the drapery rod on the LR big window. It appears to me that the current curtains are hiding a lot of the window. Could you not, pull the rod out of the alcove and mount it on the wall. That way the rods would be the same height and the drapery panels would not hide the windows. You could also get lined or not roman shades or natural woven shades if you are concerned about fabric fading or heat escaping. I love your DR set - don't get rid of it. If you update your LR, it will update both rooms. Since I haven't read every post, I would continue to work with the layout, remove the curtains in both rooms and the valances and then paint and take your time before making any purchases. Doing the first two may make some of your LR furniture salvageable. The layout of you LR and DR is soooo common, but so hard to arrange furniture with.
1 Like   November 8, 2012 at 8:35PM
Natalie
I mentioned doing the same thing 2 days ago smldesigns---hang the rod on the outside of that window-Roman shades inside... Hopefully we will see it executed. Sure would visually expand the space... :)
   November 8, 2012 at 8:59PM
mrscotta
tried the program mentioned earlier in the week, I think it shows my issues with the sectional. Not enough space to walk in from the front door on the right and too awkward with the tv.
Natalie, if I hang the rod on the outside of the window it will be 2ft infront of the window and then the couch will be curtained in, I don't think I am quite understanding?
   November 8, 2012 at 10:34PM
karongwe
Your trim comments remind me of my dilemma in my former home. We installed hard wood and the whole home came alive. The trim went from bothering me to loving it. I didn't have to replace a lot of furniture after the carpet left. another thought is that I would consider my best money spent, second to the flooring was the little facelift to my fireplace. (replaced the tile with warmer slate tile. not an expensive thing to do at all.) Good luck...ps I love your windows, they are beautiful I would just change the curtains to modernize.
   November 8, 2012 at 10:42PM
mrscotta
Thanks Karongwe, thought about the tile too. There seems to be an overwhelming agreement on the curtains...Last night my daughter said FINALLY! But I am not having luck finding ready made ;(
   November 9, 2012 at 6:21AM
Did you try Country Curtains?
   November 9, 2012 at 6:36AM
pollyannagal
Your window recess is so deep that I would NOT put curtains outside it unless there was a window seat. You will loose too much of your usable floorspace is you do this and there is the right amount of wall besides the windows to be able to have curtains that draw to the sides of the window and frame it well.
   November 9, 2012 at 9:34AM
smldesigns
Natalie,
Nice example of the rod mounted outside.

I think the recess is fine -just don't pull the sofa all the way into it. Maybe a sofa table behind it could help and also be a spot for lamps limiting the need for sizable end tables everywhere.

Somewhere someone mentioned painting or not painting the woodwork. If it's in good condition and you like it, just be sure the wall color compliments it. If not, paint it. (It is possible to have painted trim in one room and stained in the other. We had horrible pine trim in our last house and we painted the LR,DR and foyer trim white and did the same in the master. Everything else remained stained.
1 Like   November 9, 2012 at 9:50AM
I'm completely redoing a room and need help with how to begin.
I would think choosing the sofa should be first then...
Planning a home re-do! Where to begin? :D
Hi all, I am planning on doing home renovations for...
Where to begin? Should we begin?
My wife and I hope to convert an old 'church' on her...
Where to begin? Should we begin?
Need to gut my bathroom and completely redo it!
The flooring, subflooring, tub, and sheetrock all need...
Glass shower needs robe/towel hooks
I see lots of gorgeous showers of all glass but they...
Help Honey Oak Kitchen & Black Appliances
I'm trying to do a DYI kitchen make over and I can't...
Trying to update my '60s tri-plex. Any Exterior Ideas??
Hi, what would you do with the exterior of this dated...
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Fireplace above the fireplace, I lost the battle.
I have no good spot to put a large tv in my family...