Decking: PVC or Composite - any advice?
EllessebeeNovember 5, 2012
We're building a new deck and the contractor has recommended TimberTech composite or Azek PVC. Lumber yard also recommended Gossen PVC. I have read and heard conflicting things about durability, scratch resistance, slippery surface and most of all heat retention and radiation (ouch!) Prices are roughly the same for the ones I have looked at that are aesthetically acceptable. NOTE: the deck will be in direct sun. Thanks for any advice or experience you can share.
nevadan
PVC is nice for a small deck in the city. People who have it rave about it. It would not look right on a suburban house where quality finishes are in use.
    Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 8:54PM
olldcan
I'll throw a wrench into the mix. How about a concrete deck. I've had cedar, pressure treated and PVC. Out of the three, the cedar although required maintenance every two years lasted the longest (25 years), PVC split on the seams during the second summer, the patterned grooves were a dirt trap and the one year warranty had expired (how convenient) but good riddens it was junk!!!. I have no first hand experience with composite. All of the previous decks faced south and were very hot in the summer. This time around were having a concrete deck installed. Pricey touch indeed but there will be no maintenance, no burning feet and since it's a solid surface were able to install pot lights on the under side to illuminate the patio underneath.
    Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 9:10PM
Linda
I've seen the pvc decks warp and buckle in hot sun
    Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 8:49AM
Ellessebee
Has anyone ever used DuraLife Siesta decking? At one time was called CorrectDeck, I believe, and was highly rated by Consumer Reports. Then it was bought by GAF and discontinuted. Now I hear it's been resurrected as DuraLife. I'm looking for a synthetic decking that's low maintenance but most of all easy on the feet in the summer: doesn't get too hot. Any thoughts?
    Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:57PM
Custom Home Planning Center
This is a question that has been asked before and in many variations so enter it on the discussion line and find the other threads.
    Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:19PM
Custom Home Planning Center
I prefer IPE or iron wood with a no visible fastener system for decks. I use the 5/4 plastic lumber for 1st levels trims on window, doors, corners, and rakes. It stains well and doen't encourage wood peckers and boring bees and is durable in salt air or heavy rain areas.
    Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:24PM
DuraLife Decking & Railing
Ellessebee, DuraLife Decking & Railing is now available via Integrity Composites www.duralifedecking.com or visit our Houzz profile.
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 1:08PM
Composite Decking feedback requested
We are in the initial stages of designing a wrap around...
chadwick2012
Trex Decking or other composite decking
I am getting ready to build a new house in Vail, Co....
lauraohara
Any advice about using Trex vs. Veranda for replacement deck?
Replacing Colorado cabin's 25 yr. old deck...need material...
Sally Armstrong
composite vs wood deck
We want to build covered porch and deck. Trying to...
innawilson
Looking for new deck flooring other than wood or composite
We are building a new home and will have an upper deck....
maricie
Outside Laundry room
I have a home I've been trying to remodel, bit by...
Josie Walden
Home Office
Hi I can't find my new thread so here's a new one! I'm...
decorgirly
Boathouse wall in need of something
We recently replaced our dock and now have to decide...
northof49
Great Room Lacks Some Style
I'd so appreciate some ideas to fit my Mediterranean/Transitional...
lamujerdegary
Crown and Base Molding Styles?
Building a French Country home that will have barnwood...
2tnewman