Decking: PVC or Composite - any advice?
EllessebeeNovember 5, 2012
We're building a new deck and the contractor has recommended TimberTech composite or Azek PVC. Lumber yard also recommended Gossen PVC. I have read and heard conflicting things about durability, scratch resistance, slippery surface and most of all heat retention and radiation (ouch!) Prices are roughly the same for the ones I have looked at that are aesthetically acceptable. NOTE: the deck will be in direct sun. Thanks for any advice or experience you can share.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nevadan
PVC is nice for a small deck in the city. People who have it rave about it. It would not look right on a suburban house where quality finishes are in use.
    Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 8:54PM
olldcan
I'll throw a wrench into the mix. How about a concrete deck. I've had cedar, pressure treated and PVC. Out of the three, the cedar although required maintenance every two years lasted the longest (25 years), PVC split on the seams during the second summer, the patterned grooves were a dirt trap and the one year warranty had expired (how convenient) but good riddens it was junk!!!. I have no first hand experience with composite. All of the previous decks faced south and were very hot in the summer. This time around were having a concrete deck installed. Pricey touch indeed but there will be no maintenance, no burning feet and since it's a solid surface were able to install pot lights on the under side to illuminate the patio underneath.
    Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 9:10PM
PRO
Linda
I've seen the pvc decks warp and buckle in hot sun
    Bookmark   November 6, 2012 at 8:49AM
Ellessebee
Has anyone ever used DuraLife Siesta decking? At one time was called CorrectDeck, I believe, and was highly rated by Consumer Reports. Then it was bought by GAF and discontinuted. Now I hear it's been resurrected as DuraLife. I'm looking for a synthetic decking that's low maintenance but most of all easy on the feet in the summer: doesn't get too hot. Any thoughts?
    Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 8:57PM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
This is a question that has been asked before and in many variations so enter it on the discussion line and find the other threads.
    Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:19PM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
I prefer IPE or iron wood with a no visible fastener system for decks. I use the 5/4 plastic lumber for 1st levels trims on window, doors, corners, and rakes. It stains well and doen't encourage wood peckers and boring bees and is durable in salt air or heavy rain areas.
    Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 9:24PM
PRO
DuraLife Decking & Railing
Ellessebee, DuraLife Decking & Railing is now available via Integrity Composites www.duralifedecking.com or visit our Houzz profile.
    Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 1:08PM