Flooring / Design Choice for Lake House
travelbug01
Our home will be long and narrow with entry on the north end and a lake view on the south end due to the lot size. Originally I considered doing dark hard wood (or engineered) floors from the kitchen through the dining room and into the living room as it is all open concept. But I'm concerned about wear and tear as well as fading from the wall of windows were adding on the south side of the house for the lake view. We have dark brown furniture - woods and leather. We both like tile, but that's a lot of tile and it's too cold for WI year round. Should I go for 1 type of flooring in this large space or break it up? Suggestions on products that will deliver classic/timeless style, stand up to indoor/outdoor foot traffic, and not need to be cleaned daily?
I'd go for a medium-toned hardwood throughout. It won't show dirt nearly as much as dark floors, and is timeless. Good quality windows have such good UV protection these days that we find nothing fades in the bank of floor to ceiling windows in our addition. Whereas our almost 100 year old windows through the rest of the house fade everything.
November 6, 2012 at 3:43PM   
anniebmw7
You can do tile wherever there is most wetness happens and the rest of the house a nice modern hardwood flooring matching your furniture color and the rest of the place. To make it roomy add many area rugs of course. Hope this helps.
GOOD LUCK!
[houzz=Lake House 1]
[houzz=Lake House 2]
[houzz=Lake House 3]
November 6, 2012 at 4:02PM     
anniebmw7
or have tile everywhere and hardwood in the places you like the most to be nice and warm (living room, bedrooms etc.)
example:
]
November 6, 2012 at 4:03PM     
olldcan
@anniebmw7 you can't have area rugs in a lake house. That's like taking a vacuum camping. I would choose the same flooring for the open areas. Something you can swift or sweep up fast. Nothing to dark or too light. You could always have heated floors under the tile. I'm having hardwood on the main floor, tile in the main floor bathrooms, laundry and entryway, acid washed concrete floors (heated) in the walk out basement.
November 6, 2012 at 4:49PM   
anniebmw7
Not sure if you can read the descriptions of my examples, some have area rugs some dont and they are all lake houses. Its really up to persons taste.
November 6, 2012 at 5:29PM   
olldcan
And the amount of cleaning you want to do. I'm just speaking from experience, that's all. The time I spend at the lake is for playing and entertaining, I'd rather shake a Margarita than an area rug. Other Ladies around the lake will say the same too, they don't want to come to the lake and do chores the whole time, while everyone else is gone in the boat having a great time. It's function first and come to think of it, there isn't a single home in our bay that has area rugs or carpet.
November 6, 2012 at 5:51PM   
travelbug01
Thank you all for your help...am feeling a lot more confident about going with tile in the entry and the rest in hardwood. I didn't realize the UV protection windows were so good so that's a big relief given the wall of windows that we're planning to do.
November 9, 2012 at 2:45PM   
drememon
In a condo years ago, we added a tile entry to a wood floor in a long, "bowling alley" entry, and it made a wonderful difference. 30 or so square feet of tile a. gave a good walk off area b. broke up the alley. Something to consider. I like the same flooring in any visual expanse... but in a long narrow expanse, it actually made the entry cozier, and defined it.
November 9, 2012 at 3:22PM   
lake house design lot size 32 wide by 40 deep
rear of house faces lake. with porch and daylight basement....
Need design suggestions for plain front of lake house
I am trying to disguise the small windows and unappealing...
Finally finished lake house remodel...(moved it from design dilemma)
Cozy lakefront house in 1990's style....had wall taken...
Need design ideas for lake house deck/porch
Ripping this down due to structural issues. May also...
Over the toilet cabinet??? Good or bad design???
Over the toilet cabinet good or bad design? Is it out...
Kitchen Update Help!
We just purchased a home and love it! The only thing...
Accent windowsill
Hey guys, The paint is pealing on my windowsill and...
Where's chookchook?
Our beloved chookie hasn't been heard from in days....
Do my rugs need to match?
I am buying a new rug for our office (which is adjacent...