Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naw2869

Should I paint these cabinets? They're high quality cabinets but 13 years old

Nancy
11 years ago
What would you do to this to update it? Don't want to gut it ... need to update on a budget... Kitchen - dining-room - living room all open big area....oak has to go....

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Anta Design Studio
    11 years ago
    what is your style? do you like farmhouse look? or more modern or traditional?

1. you can stain cabinets, in different shade and keep traditional look,
    2. if you want to achieve more countryside farmhouse look, you can either stain or paint with distressed look, dark espresso stain or paint can be distressed and have worn out appearance. this brings a lot of style, bit you may need to update your counter top and back splash as well.

also no matter what you do update hardware and use either oil rubbed bronze or stainless steel knobs and pulls.
  • lindsaytrue
    11 years ago
    Yes to match the counter
  • ikke
    11 years ago
    I would loose the clutter on top and highlight the cabinets with halogen spots lighting from Above. I have done this on my own kitchen and it is transformed completely.
  • kazt
    11 years ago
    No, add some great knobs,paint above the cabinets,add back splash in same color.Remove some of the stuff above the cabinets, leave your favorites,then rotate the others by seasons.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    I would update the countertops and backsplash, along with the hardware as Anta Design Studio suggested. Here is a photo of a granite countertop and tumbled marble backsplash that would work beautifully in your kitchen and tie all of the finishes together:
    BY HARDROCK CONSTRUCTION · More Info
  • kazt
    11 years ago
    I like!!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I agree with just updating the countertop and backsplash, perhaps adding a crown molding above the upper cabinets.

Traditional Kitchen · More Info
  • PRO
    Roanoke Woodworking Inc.
    11 years ago
    It appears that the paneling on the back of the island is vinyl, because of the lighter color. Painting that will be more difficult than the real wood doors and frames of the cabinets because it won't take paint or stain the same way. I can't tell if the sides of your cabinets are vinyl from the picture, but chances are they will be as well.

You may want to keep the wood as it is, and just enhance the features of your traditional kitchen. Add a 3-4" h crown molding.

Make the island the focal point, and corbels, base molding and new (wood) paneling to the back of the island. Also, some new modern pendants over the island.
  • Jonathan Graham
    11 years ago
    Before you jump into the deep end of the pool, remove all the brick-a-brac from the top of the cabinets.
    Then put a nice strong crown molding above top cabinets. Then change the cabinet hardware.

If it still drives you crazy, take a deep breath and change the counter tops and back-splash.

Last resort is to redo cabinet faces.
  • PRO
    Stoneshop
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree with Media Decor's suggestion. De-clutter above cabinets, on countertop, & on the fridge. Add crown molding, & then install new hardware. Your countertops are dating your space more than anything, so they should be your next priority if budget allows. Once you have a countertop choice, choose a nice backsplash to complement it. These changes will drastically change the appearance of your kitchen & make it feel very polished.

If you are still unhappy, then tackle the cabinets.
  • Jan May
    11 years ago
    An instant update would be to de-clutter the tops. I know it's hard (I collect all sorts of what would be to anyone else - junk) - but my first glance at your photo - it makes it look very old fashioned. And replacing the window dressing with a modern fuss-free blind will also make it look fresher. The cupboards are lovely, and really little different to whats in the shops today. Replacing the knobs with modern steel ones? If budget allows, I would replace the work tops with a dark granite effect. Loving the stools.
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    11 years ago
    Nancy, we would be glad to give you some backsplash suggestions to match to your current counter or a new one if you choose to replace. We are experts at this, you can read more about our Surface Partners line and get in touch with a designer on this page: http://www.susanjablon.com/surface-partners.html. We can help you customize a backsplash to your style and kitchen, giving your space a polished and updated look. We also are currently having a clearance sale as we are clearing out some inventory, many products are marked down up to 30% off. We can even give you suggestions from this selection of clearance items if you need to minimize your budget as well.
  • nevadan
    11 years ago
    The cabinets are fine and do not need to be changed. The island is much too small and is a bad shape. Change that totally, put in new countertops and backsplash, and get rid of whatever that is sitting on top of the upper cabinets. The island should probably be rectangular.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Check out rustoleumtransformations.com - new product for easy cabinet redo and works on other wood if you want to do the oak furniture. Another product "Instant Granite" is working well for people and gives formica counters a rich look with depth, layers, reflectivity and a true granite appearance. Check those out first and search for them here and at HGTV's Rate My Space to see how they are turning out. As for the island, you might resurface it will beadboard, then paint it a contrast to what you do for the cabinets. New bar chairs will make a big change. Install a magnetic board at the end of the pantry for all the fridge stuff if you must have it handy, take down the dowdy valance and cabinet top dust-catchers and you'll be surprised at how much better it looks.
  • bdennison
    11 years ago
    +I had trhe same oak cabinets and was tired of the look after 20 years. used the Rustoleum Transformation mentions by decoenthusiast and I feel like I have a brand new kitchen. I used the bright white, for the outside cabinets and black for the island and bar area, and added a subway tile backsplash.
  • Jeffery Rost
    11 years ago
    Knowing your "want to be" style would really help with our suggestions.
    Wall color,rugs, pulls,lighting,decluttering will all help,since these 2 rooms are somewhat open to each other they should each reflect the other. Clear all the surfaces, and let us see the real room
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Wow, what a great kitchen layout. So many people would love to have this space and layout - they spend tens of thousands ripping down walls and building kitchens just like yours.
    Having said that - what is in you drawers?
    I ask because it seems everything is on the counter. Good kitchen design means you have a place to easily put small appliances, important notes, paper towels etc. away. It's time to purge! Empty out all the drawers and cupboards - seriously. Give away what you haven't seen for 3 years. Next research and purchase better in-drawer and in-cupboard pullouts and organisers. They will be your best investment to making you love your kitchen all over again. The organisers you will require are available at big box stores, specialty stores and even the dollar store. Take your time or hire someone to help you - professional organisers are great for this job.
    Yes, then remove all of the collected stuff I also feel it is just making it look messy and dirty. Take all the things off the fridge - please! I see that you could put a few of these fridge items on the side of the fridge where no one will be the wiser ;). Try and assign a drawer or part of a drawer using a basket for the rest with note papers & pens near the phone. And I would remove the window treatment too.
    I feel you can paint anything however at this stage I would simply paint the walls and the ceiling as your first option. Try an off white on the ceiling as it will make your white appliances look whiter and cleaner - Benjamin Moore Deep In Thought AF-30. And I would paint the room AF-385 Splendor. It has a fresh but soft soothing effect and this green will make your cupboards look richer. And I feel a nice new pull would work - one option with character that is not too contemporary would be the Satin Chrome Oval Knob
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=52350&cat=3,43520,43521,43538
    a fresher contemporary look would be The Oval SN 64mm Stone Pull
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=66135&cat=3,43520,43521,49325
    And I also feel the counter stools aren't working with the colour palette. Spray paint them or buy new that do not swivel because you have lots of room and don't need swivel which just take up too much floor space.
    Essex Chair - 1 Chair · More Info
    These chairs come in all kinds of colours too like fresh green or another tone you are using in the attached living space like blue or yellow. I would then take this same colour and use it as an accent for the containers or decorative elements you do put on your counters.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Okay, now I have looked at your Dining Room and see you really like to buy things ;)
    I would also remove and purge this area. I would take some of those blue and white platters and use them as decorative accessories. One smaller plate/platter on the kitchen counter near the stove to keep oils, sugar etc. organised. One on your dining room table with a few vases - use what you have collected, I feel it's wasted sitting behind glass here. And if you have the budget I would replace your dining room chairs with the same ones I have recommended for the kitchen counter. An unfitted look will freshen up all of the wood. I feel the paint colours I have suggested above will work throughout this entire great room area. I feel nothing says 1980's like your current window treatments. No swags or valances. Go to Target or a Big Box store or major discount outlet to purchase simple rods and drapery panels that will frame your view and add some personality in the dining room and family room. These add texture and will work with new seating, paint and accessories.
    Firenze Embroidered Panel Curtain · More Info
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    Hi. If your cabinets are of high quality you can ask someone to replace the solid panels with glazed glass. It's very pretty. I would remove your things and paint the celing and the back splash first. If you still think the cabinets need more, go for it. I think a good cabinet maker could take one area of your kitchen and make a nook with light for your favorite things so you can actually make a statement (focal point) for them. I agree that seasonal would be interesting a create a theme you would enjoy. Anchor your room with rugs to match the chair metal. Earthy and anchored.
  • PRO
    Otrada Design LLC
    11 years ago
    Remove photos, knick knacks, stools, and window treatment. Update counters and hardware. Add new stools. You could even add color to just a new island and make the kitchen feel brand new.
  • Nancy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love French Country.....
  • PRO
    Otrada Design LLC
    11 years ago
    Ok. Great- a blue/grey, or red island would work. Good luck!
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    Hi Nancy. Ok, French Country is helpful to know! thanks. If you know your color palette -- that alone will set you up for success. Clear overlaps of your picture here will help you visualize color changes before they are made. Buy some wipe off markers that come in colors you like. Artist friend or family member would love to help with that aspect.
  • Nancy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love neutrals, browns and Rusty red...
  • Nancy
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love neutrals, browns and Rusty red...
  • greenthumb2
    11 years ago
    I foresee a pot rack of some kind :=) with dried herbs...
  • PRO
    TEAMW
    11 years ago
    hey how about a darker stain with blue/ black tones and paint the appliances darker....don't laugh I have done it and it works..the new rustoleum spray paint work amazingly well..just need pain staking prep and no flaking of any kind.
  • adamsfam2
    8 years ago

We darkened our cabinets just like these with a product that went right on top. It was a little tricky getting it even. My husband did it. It modernized them and a year later we are still very happy with them. They were good and solid just like yours. We also took most of the uppers out, and raised the ones we left up to the ceiling. Looks like new cabinets!

• Terri Henderson
    7 years ago

A new island could really make a statement in that room. If it is in the budget, I would also upgrade the countertops and backsplash, and get new knobs for the cabinets. I would consider staining the cabinets darker and going with a light countertop. I'm glad all that clutter on top of the cabinets is not yours. LOL