Wood for wardrobes
sajeev53
What types of wood are recommended for making cupboards:
a) The doors b) the sides and c) the shelves?
Which ones will do well with painting and which with staining?
Please advise. Thanks
Noz Nozawa
Hi there, have you gotten started on your cupboard/wardrobe project? My cupboards in my kitchen are actually just made from MDF (medium-density fiberboard) with a wood veneer on them, and I'm very happy with them; they came with my place -- photo attached. My understanding of the best woods are that it's really up to your budget. Solid wood cabinets are much more expensive than anything MDF with a veneer. If you just want to paint them, I'm sure you could use most any solid hardwood. But for staining, my favorite woods to see stained, because their grain is so gorgeous, are Walnut and Oak, for sure.
December 17, 2012 at 5:02PM   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
First you need to decide what type of canbinet you plan on building, I.e., face frame or frameless, this will influence your choice of material. Second you need to decide if indoor air quality is a selection criteria. Is so then you will want to source materials with no added urea formaldehyde. If painting is a criteria, then solid maple is your best bet, however, if you are in an area (or room) with high humidity and you are considering a recessed panel door, consider using a maple veneer for the panel so that the paint does not crack as a result of natural movement in the wood during the change of the seasons/humidity. As for stains, cherry, alder, oak take stain well.
December 18, 2012 at 7:49AM   
sajeev53
Thanks for the advice. We decided to go for pine. Of course, then we faced the dilemma of whether to paint or stain. On the advice of local workmen, we decided to go for white gloss paint as apparently with the very high humidity here, varnished wood tends to attract mould. Also, we felt that the white cupboards would brighten up the rooms and they do. Shall post pics when the work is completed.
December 20, 2012 at 6:41PM   
Floor color in colorful kitchen?
We are making this kitchen. Wondering what floor color...
Neutral Gray paint color
Management company Repainting entire rental unit so...
Need feedback on Proposed Plan remodel
Hi We are finalizing our plans for a remodel of...
What color should I paint the hallway alcove?
I am stumped, Houzzers. Behold our upstairs hallway....
Can I put a red oriental piece , using it as a console table in a all
I do not have photos to attach at the moment . I have...