leaparsons
February 1, 2011 in Photo Questions
I am building a house in Vermont and am hoping to build a back deck similar to this. Can you tell me what type of wood was used for the deck? Also, where can I find this type of railing?
Paul Anater
That's probably a teak deck although it may be a synthetic. Railings like that aren't available off the shelf, they're always custom projects. Show this photo to your contractor and he or she will be able to recreate it for you.
0 Likes   February 1, 2011 at 5:27PM
Jay Flom
While the frames for the railings are probably created by a local steel fabricator, the infill is probably CableRail by Feeney. Mark English has used CableRail in notable projects before.
0 Likes   September 29, 2011 at 2:48PM
motherbear
I used half inch galvanized cable for mine.
0 Likes   September 29, 2011 at 3:43PM
Jay Flom
In my mind, there's two approaches to cable railing. You can spend the money and buy stainless steel cable and fittings, Quick-Connect style fittings from Feeney don't need to be crimped in the field. Or you can cobble together cable, thimbles, sailing hardware, or turnbuckle style fittings, etc., I've seen lots of creative ways to do it. Remember though, you want to preserve your view. Cable is really strong. 1/8" stainless steel cable will fail at about 1800 lbs of pressure. You don't need large cable unless you like the look of it. If you want low-maintenance and longevity, I recommend grade 316 stainless cable & fittings.
1 Like   September 29, 2011 at 4:22PM
Mark English Architects, AIA
The deck is Ipe, or aka ironwood.
1 Like   August 22, 2012 at 1:00PM
jzallar
@ mark english- Has the decking been greyed out by some sort of accelertor product? or is that just the natural faded grey color from being exposed to the sun? I like it! do you know any issues of the Ipe' cupping? Thanks
1 Like   November 29, 2012 at 7:29PM
Jay Flom
Please note the architect, Mark English's comment on the deck materials. He used CableRail by Feeney for infill and this is a custom fabricated frame. If you'd like an entire system, check out http://www.feeneyinc.com/Architectural/DesignRail
0 Likes   February 24, 2014 at 7:50AM
holly07
Did you seal the wood with a clear sealer and then let it weather or is this completely bare? I am interested in Ipe because I want the gray and brown tones for our decking but want to be sure I treat it correctly to achieve that look. Our decking will get direct sunlight but it is under a covered porch so not much in the way of rain. Thank you!
0 Likes   September 14, 2014 at 3:27PM
Help w/staining a coffee table
Hi there - I have a black coffee table that I want...
Hiding ugly retaining walls-Help!
Looking for low cost ideas to hide the ugly concrete...
living room question
I really like the modern look and can't figure out...
Making Historic Modern...without losing character
We are in the midst of buying a 1900's fixer upper....
Help Window treatment for large expanse of door/window area
I have a very large expanse of doors and windows that...